Bitcoin Unlimited Membership -- Join us

Hello Jonathan, welcome! I have always been a fan of what you are doing, and I remember having some of the most calm and reasonable discussions with you last week.

Still, I have to ask ... what do you mean with this

I feel it's about time I moved from curious bystander to a somewhat more participatory role ...
Why is it "about time"? Do you think you need to defend the principles of BU according to the roadmap of replacing developer's consensus with emerging consensus - or do you want to step in to vote for what the BCA just has announced? BU is or should be neutral in the ABC vs. SV war, and the membership is splittet over this question. So you should at least make your take on it very clear.

Another question: On the voting on BUIP101 two developers of ABC publically announced that they voted with "yes" with the intention to damage BU. The members of BU have the duty to vote with diligence due to what is best for BU according to the principles. The outcome of the vote should neither intent to damage BU as a software nor BU as an organization with democratic elements. Do you condemn such an absuse of voting rights?

Reactions: torusJKL

solex

Staff member
Aug 22, 2015
Welcome to the bitco.in/forum @Jonathan Silverblood, and good to see your application for membership. Thanks also to @jtoomim for seconding.
The next membership vote on BUIPs and new members is not yet fixed. I will advise here when it is.

Jonathan Silverblood

Nov 21, 2018
> Why is it "about time"?

I have run BU since before the S2X split and it is important to me, it represent sanity and a data-driven approach, where others seem to go by feeling.

> Do you think you need to defend the principles of BU according to the roadmap of replacing developer's consensus with emerging consensus - or do you want to step in to vote for what the BCA just has announced?

All actors in the ecosystem choose how to voluntarily participate by running software. I don't have any particular items I want to vote in, I just feel involved enough that I should've had my opinions voiced months ago already.

> So you should at least make your take on it [ABC vs SV?] very clear.

As I have stated elsewhere multiple times: If SV overtakes BCH in total accumulated proof of work, without resorting to attacks designed to destroy value (empty blocks mining, selfish mining, re-orgs, DoS), then I will personaly legitimize them as the Bitcoin Cash majority fork. I do not believe this will happen, and if it will I don't think I would actively contribute to them, but I will respect the outcome of nakamoto consensus and accept that ABC in that case would be a minority fork.

> Do you condemn such an absuse of voting rights?

Yes, I morally believe that to be abuse and I have no intent to commit such abuse.

The document (https://www.bitcoinunlimited.info/resources/BUarticles.pdf) states however that I should substantially agree with the Bitcoin Unlimited Vision [...] and that I should agree to follow the rules outlined in Articles 2, 3, and 4 for all matters pertaining to Bitcoin Unlimited.

It further states that I should recognize that becoming a member of the Bitcoin Unlimited Federation and simultaneously working to undermine the Bitcoin Unlimited Vision will inflict substantial harm [...].

My interpretations of those wordings is that what matters is good intent, and that there is some degree of freedom-of-belief when it comes to the nuances and practicalities of translating those ideas to a workable product/organization in the real world.

solex

Staff member
Aug 22, 2015
@bitcartel
I am happy to second your application as a prior member of BU and a long time contributor to Bitcoin scaling discussions.

Reactions: Windowly

solex

Staff member
Aug 22, 2015
The next BU membership vote commences 16 January 2019, so I will close off new member applications, for this vote, a few days earlier.

solex

Staff member
Aug 22, 2015
Drawing a line here for new membership applications which will be considered in the forthcoming vote.
Subsequent applications will be put up for vote on the next occasion, which is likely to be March or April 2019.

maplesyrupsucker

Nov 8, 2017
I am formally requesting to become a member of Bitcoin Unlimited.

Some of you may know me already. I got involved in Bitcoin back in ~late 2013. What interested me most was the idea of p2p cash permissionless cash. To this day that is what interests me most. I was a silent observer for years but as censorship and debate erupted around the need for bigger blocks and what appeared to be some dirty deals between Core devs and miners/business I felt compelled to get more involved. I'd like to continue that growth in involvement and offer off my voice and opinion on matters relating to BU.

I continue to stand by the principals of bigger blocks, more throughput, supporting business and global adoption, and making Bitcoin usable for the world.

I've been involved in:

2017 - Present - Co creator of txhighway.com - a visualizer of BTC vs BCH transactions

2017 - Present - Web design and Development contributor for bitcoincash.org, recently aided in the updated design

2017 - Present - Web Developer at bitcoin.com

2017 - Contributed some frontend work on localBitcoinCash.org

2017 - Present - I also help work on countless Bitcoin.com projects with other Bitcoin.com devs, including our wallet, Bitcoin.com pool frontend, bulk paper tips, buy.bitcoin.com, forum, notary, tools, bounties, and countless other web projects.

2018 - Contributed to frontend of MES - Memo Enhancement Suite for memo.cash - which has since retired.

2018 - Web design and development for Bitcoin Unlimited's Satoshi's Vision Conference (Tokyo) and contributor to Satoshi's Vision Instant TX Workshop (Italy)

2018 - Present - Regular co-host on Bitcoin.com's weekly Youtube Bitcoin News with Roger Ver (https://www.youtube.com/bitcoincomofficialchannel)

I've worked with members of BU in the past and hope that by becoming a member I'll be able to meet more of you. I'd love to add my voice to BU and the future of Bitcoin.

Mengerian

Staff member
Aug 29, 2015
I will second @maplesyrupsucker's application!

He worked with me to help put on Satoshi's Vision Conference in Tokyo, coming up with the awesome website design (https://satoshisvisionconference.com/previous/tokyo2018/), and he was also did many other invaluable contributions to making that conference a success.

He's working hard to help build peer-to-peer electronic cash that can scale to global adoption, and I think he would make a great BU member.

lunar

Aug 28, 2015
@solex

-----BEGIN BITCOIN SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Please accept my resignation from Bitcoin Unlimited.

It's been a privilege to have had even a small voice in shaping Bitcoins future.

I wish you all, Unlimited success.
-----END BITCOIN SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Signed:
H9Jh59QczZj7Zs4FxoR/kMDvFna/8BHPvjen46DnNKfuff1pNRoyJYch/RE0chXlxHyJqMHBaW+FNC2oHY1LPVU=

Thanks again, for everything, I'll still be around, to join in the discussions.

Reactions: freetrader

imaginary_username

Aug 19, 2015
@Mengerian It's quite regrettable it has to come to this; many of the least productive are unfortunately also the loudest, creating a biased view of community sentiment. I myself still find what BU is doing very valuable towards our common goal, and I do wish to continue working with you, both at ABC and elsewhere. I don't think we got many more tries on this peer to peer electronic cash thing, after all.