Bitcoin Unlimited Membership -- Join us

solex

Staff member
Aug 22, 2015
@Mengerian
It is sad to see you leave after what has been a long path with BU and its onchain scaling vision. Your reasons are understood here. The website will be updated to reflect your decision.

LocalBitcolnCash

Feb 7, 2018
@theZerg, I would like to be a BU member. I was involved with building LocalBitcoinCash, TewTew.com, 1BCH.com, etc. Basically, I want to contribute to help shape the future of p2p cash. Will work for food and coffee, lol.

Reactions: freetrader

solex

Staff member
Aug 22, 2015
@lunar, my apologies for my oversight in not seeing your resignation until today.

Reactions: freetrader

sken

Nov 22, 2017
Hi, Im sken and im interested in being part of BU. i applied before but didnt follow through due to personal matters.

I have been passively into bitcoin since 2011, but last year i decided to take a more participatory role. particularly in development and in the community.

reddit: u/skenlrc
github: floreslorca
twitter: sskknn00
telegram: ssklk

qq8p6eyv68s79csw6m0pg4q02xk6aspndqntfn3ayy

I guess this reddit-comment makes your application a waste

"you are dumb as a ton of bricks. bu leadership is spinless and the group in a gridlock. the leadership seems more happy to be walked over instead of taking a stance and a goal. BU has no direction whatsoever"

Should be sorted under "infiltration" - or why do you want to participate in an organisation you talk that way about?

sken

Nov 22, 2017
Is criticizing BU bad? Or are you offended i called that guy dumb? do you just want yes men as members and think everything is ok?

My first reaction when some people left was upsetting. But after giving it more thought, I realize i was wrong. I want to participate because i see the potential of BU.

its lamentable that people are apathetic about what BU does or stands for. I believe we need more conviction. If you check my github and other social media, you can see im very active in this community. in both development, and opinion. You may not like them, but thats ok. Its better for BU to be a lively place of discussion rather than just an inactive place, where no one really cares.

Wouldnt you agree?

Last edited:

freetrader

Staff member
Dec 16, 2015
Hi @sken, I'm willing to re-evaluate your application on the basis of your conviction and sympathy for the potential you see in BU.

Can you still sign something with the address you gave at the time (17whfha8RgFhdbaxmByGRzsRBxTYS3M8y4) ?

@Christoph Bergmann context is everything, so why not link the post he was replying to and let us see what that person said...

Oh, the guy said BU is capitulating over SV, and some ABC-supporting members resigning would "end up being a de facto relinquishment of BU to SV".

You say
or why do you want to participate in an organisation you talk that way about?
Does that mean you agree with Kurt Wuckert (jr) on his point there?
Besides, if we apply your criterion we have to ask a bunch of SV-supporting members why they haven't resigned yet... their public statements could prove a little more awkward than Sken's.

Last edited:
Reactions: sken

LocalBitcolnCash

Feb 7, 2018
@micropresident I disagree with your assumptions "Now, as a result of the resignations, some people have encouraged BCH users to apply for membership, to vote, and submit BUIPs to disempower BSV supporters. However, nothing good will come from such a political fight."

You're assuming BCH folks joined just to attack BSV, or BSV folks joined to attack BCH. Has the thought that some people joined because they wanted a voice to vote for the right thing, be it BCH or BSV, if that thing benefits society? Moreover, there will always be politics ever since the born of human civilization and ignoring that does not mean the politics will go away. I feel the people who throw tantrums when someone disagrees with them, they became the very people they criticize. Reverse the situation and you can see why, "If you disagree with me or made comments I don't like, then I am leaving.". This sounds like coercion to me.

I think sometimes we need to be willing to set aside petty differences for the bigger picture. It is not BCH or BSV who are the enemies, but remember the saying, "Bank the unbanked and unbank the banked."

Norway

Sep 29, 2015
I think we should refuse to accept anonymous people / monikers as new members of Bitcoin Unlimited unless they can prove an extremely impressive online appearance for many years (3+).

BU have been a cool secluded lagoon for reasonable and logical debate and development for many years while the social media wars happened on reddit and other places. It felt like the troll factories never found out that a single thread on a forum (with many other threads I never read) were the important place. GCBU was an apple hiding among other apples.

It's very easy to take control over the organization Bitcoin Unlimited if you can control the votes with fake identities. We don't want sybil attacks. We want proof of work or other costly signals from people applying for BU membership.

Times have changed. We don't have to hide in the shadows. Adam Draper bought the Silk Road bitcoins from the USA!

If bitcoin is going for global, BU can't be a club based on anonymous members. The elected officers in BU are open with their identities. And so am I.

My name is Stein Håvard Ludvigsen. I'm 48 years old and I live in the deep woods of Norway.

Last edited:

freetrader

Staff member
Dec 16, 2015
@Norway : propose a BUIP to change the Articles, because what you are proposing requires them to be changed.

p.s.

I don't think you want me to go through the SV-supporting member list and point out to you how many of them are "fake identities" according to your definition.

Privacy and anonymity are different, but are both important.

But anonymity isn’t just important to blow the whistle on scandals. It can have profound catalyzing effects in developing society, in particular when breaking taboos or forwarding forbidden causes that were later vindicated.
I entered Bitcoin development pseudoymously because of the prevailing atmosphere, and the fact that forking Bitcoin to bigger blocks was definitely turned into a taboo complete with witchhunts, scapegoating and character assassination. All well known political strategies employed against the success of Bitcoin as peer to peer electronic cash.

Satoshi was anonymous.

With Bitcoin Cash we finally broke the Bitcoin-cannot-hardfork taboo's back, and are partly (but not wholly yet) vindicated.

Last edited:

LocalBitcolnCash

Feb 7, 2018
@LocalBitcolnCash
Times are changing, bitcoin is growing up. Famous people say in public they hold bitcoin. Adam Draper bought a ton from the US government.

Why are you anonymous?

Your link is broken:
https://localbitcoincash.org/verification.txt
Well, you assumed I was anonymous except I wasn't. Some people have seen me and know my real identity. Call me paranoid but here are some stuff that happened which makes me feel uneasy.

- LocalBitcoinCash was DDOS a few times.
- Everytime I mentioned https://LocalBitcoinCash.org on Reddit, the thread or comment will be automatically shadowbanned and removed, even now.
- I received over a million emails to my LocalBitcoinCash email account in days. I don't know if this attack is still ongoing because we had a filter now.
- There was targeted attempts to install malware on our machines.
- Server logs indicate people attempting to hack into the site.
- I received some really weird calls with spoof phone numbers, few times a day, for weeks straight. Sometimes I suspect it was social engineering but I no longer pick up phone calls which I don't recognize.

I am sure there are more over the past 24 months but these are just right off my head as I type this out.

I am not anonymous. I am extremely introverted person. I mean, despite few years in crypto projects, none of my family members knew anything about it. They probably suspect I bought cryptocurrencies, that's about it. I feel like I have a very sad social life sometimes, or probably non-existent is the better word to use. It would be fair to say I am very bad with human relationships irl which is why I spent all my time working and alone. I find people so difficult to understand, despite my hardest efforts. When you type some code in, you always get the same results out. If the results is not the same, you know something is wrong with the codes. So I understand computers really well because it's logical but people, you can say the exact same thing to 3 different people and you can have 3 different outcomes (one could be happy, another could be angry at you, etc). In fact, you could even say the exact same thing to the exact same person on different timing, depending on his/her mood, the outcome could also be vastly different. Humans are complicated.

I guess my reasoning for staying private is to avoid giving myself unnecessary or unexpected problems. I also did not attend crypto events because of my social handicapped problems above (and also because I am mostly broke, lol).

The link is broken because I removed the file right after it was verified.

Norway

Sep 29, 2015
@Norway : propose a BUIP to change the Articles, because what you are proposing requires them to be changed.
Well, you have to propose a NIP (Norway Improvement Proposal) if you want to influence my actions.

You can't just tell me what to do. After all, you're an anonymous person on internet.

I have met many people in BU in person. Some have chosen to be anonymous.

Have you ever met anyone in BU in person?

Who did you meet?

freetrader

Staff member
Dec 16, 2015
If you want BU to exclude anonymous members then you'll have to get a BUIP passed to amend the Articles.

You can't just tell me what to do.
I'm not telling you what to do, I'm telling you that the Articles don't cater for your seeming desire to exclude pseudonymous members.

You do like to abide by the rules, don't you?

Last edited:
Reactions: LocalBitcolnCash