Bitcoin Unlimited Membership -- Join us

Mike Aetherial

Jul 11, 2017
I would be honored to join in this endevour to preserve all that is fundamental in the foundations of bitcoin! All my co-workers and I have recently followed the lead of one of our friends who amassed $97k or more USD in crypto currency over time and I have been spreading the word about the promising novelties and profits to be made in block-chain technology and investing! Somewhere on some old hard drive, I probably have like 50 BTC lying around and one day soon, I hope to find it! I have gone through about 10 so far with many more to search. All I found so far was about 98,000 doge from a few years ago. Over the last month I have switched my investing strategy from mutual funds to crypto. My portfolio is still about $300 up even though this is a very down day, so I feel very optomistic as the roller coaster keeps building higher that it will one day enable me to raise the funds turn my ranch in to a hobbit village (like the one in New Zealand, but livable) for air bnb guests and tourists. Yes, this is my crazy dream! Crypto will take me there! Democracy and decentralization to preserve the integrity of block-chain is key!

Mando donate to the Shire post:

BTC - 1CpPeNE5ngQH64LqoCmKxf3LWymatT1HB6

shadders

Jul 20, 2017
I would like to apply for membership. Very impressed with Peter R's presentation at FOBC. I am active on btcslack as @shadders and am actively involved in development that supports the big block vision.

19PriqWCtGPweCTgrgAHsEd4xWkqHcxmnE

Reactions: lunar and AdrianX

Otaci

Jul 26, 2017
I'd like to apply for membership. I'm a firm believer in bitcoin as a cash alternative and that it needs a larger block size to fulfill this goal. Segwit is an abomination.

Thanks,
Otaci

1HTrN2uSNyPnQM7jwMAaqjNHAs2SpVf3jZ

EDIT: 2017-08-23
Since writing this post I have become involved in supporting Electron Cash, the BCC wallet.

Last edited:
Reactions: solex and Bloomie

Nic

Aug 2, 2017
With this post I'd like to apply for membership to Bitcoin Unlimited. As an academic economist I recently became very interested in bitcoin. As a result, I wrote a paper modelling bitcoin mining activity as a contest, which I wasfor publication to the journal Ledger. I'm glad that it seemed to have generated interest. The paper has just been accepted for publication in te journal Ledger.

If accepted as a member I believe there may be a two-way benefit. I would personally be directly exposed to the frontier topics of the existing debate within Bitcoin and, perhaps, in turn I could modestly try to contribute scholarly to those issues. Besides extending the model on mining in a variety of directions, in the near future I plan to work on the block size issue, Bitcoin and inflation,
economic incentives for non mining nodes, hard forking

Truly hoping that my application would be accepted

Sincerely

Nicola

AdrianX

Aug 28, 2015
bitco.in
@Nic feel free to discuss, in the interim, you don't need to be a member to partake in the game, I am not sure when the next membership vote is scheduled.

Peter R

Aug 28, 2015
@Nic: Very happy to see that you've applied to become a BU member! More academic economists researching Bitcoin is very much needed.

For those who don't know, Nicola delivered a great talk at The Future of Bitcoin conference in Arnhem showing how Bitcoin mining naturally disincentives the formation of a monopoly:

I hereby apply for Bitcoin Unlimited Membership.

I fell in love with the idea of Bitcoin in 2013. (Here's one of my earliest Facebook posts.) I have supported Bitcoin against media attacks, and have been active in social media (as jzcjca00). A Google search for "jzcjca00" and "bitcoin" brings up over 1000 results.

I am an investor. I started small, but my hodlings have grown over the years to be a sizeable chunk of my net worth. This is a thread I started back in 2014 to help other bitcoiners learn now to invest retirement funds in Bitcoin.

I have read, and understand, the white paper. I've been a supporter of BU since I first heard about it (because I'm good at math and understand Moore's Law). I've been running a BU full node for at least a year.

I've been a supporter of Bitcoin Cash since it was first proposed. BlockstreamCore is a toxic influence, and we need to get as far away from them as possible. SegWit is a step in the wrong direction, introducing unneeded pressure points for government control over Bitcoin.

I'm pretty harsh on Blockstream, but when a group of thugs hijacks your vehicle, kicks you out, and then sets fire to it, I think you have a right to criticize their actions harshly.

Here's one of my recent posts explaining why I support big blocks and Bitcoin Cash:

What the world needs more than anything else is liberty, and Bitcoin is a great step in the right direction, giving everyone in the world the ability to send value across the internet to anyone else, anywhere in the world, any time of day or night, fast, cheap, securely, and (perhaps most importantly) without the permission, interference, or fees of any government, bank, payment processor, or any other third party.

My vision for the future of Bitcoin is to maintain the peer-to-peer electronic cash aspect, and not try to convert it into just a settlement layer for digital gold. I'd like to keep fees low enough that it's usable by the masses, even by people who make less in a month than the price of a cup of coffee at Starbucks. I'd like to see transaction fees stay roughly an order or magnitude less than the fees currently charged by PayPal and the credit card companies. I'd like to see global adoption, with bitcoin eventually replacing all government currencies.

Here's my LinkedIn profile.

I will vote using address 1HZHDQZt4Ue8C8pWP8xyoZP2SdQkqDUqvp.

Last edited:

solex

Staff member
Aug 22, 2015
The next Bitcoin Unlimited membership vote is scheduled for September 16th, and this will include a BUIP listing the new membership applications in this thread. The closing date for this upcoming vote is September 2nd.

It is great to see new people interested in BU. New members are welcome, however, to preserve the integrity of the organisation long-term it is important that new members are wisely chosen by the existing members. In order that this can be done it is therefore important to see a good biographical summary, a clear vision concerning Bitcoin's future and links to historic on-line posting history and writings on Bitcoin, cryptocurrency, or any associated disciplines in science - such as economics, computing, mathematics, psychology etc.

Thus far we have applications from @KevUnltd, @my3z, @Erik Beijnoff, @Jgoods, @Dave, @Mike Aetherial, @Crypto indo, @shadders, @sourena, @Otaci, @Nic, @John Cunningham.

It is to your detriment, and likely failure to achieve a successful margin of votes if your application post is brief, off-topic or lacking necessary links for the existing members to make an evaluation. Some are quite comprehensive and this message superfluous, but I ask that you review your post and update with anything further which is necessary.

We require a Bitcoin address (zero balance, never used) which can be used to sign messages during future votes on BU improvement proposals.

The BU Articles of Federation are here.

Reactions: Peter R

Daybod

Aug 25, 2017
I am a newbie to everything bitcoin. The founding BU articles are, to me, remeniscent of the US constitution and the core freedom principles associated with it. I applaud and support your cause and purpose, and I would like to be a part of it I became facinated with Bitcoin after viewing "Craig Wright- The Future of Bitcoin Conference 2017" on youtube. I hope to contribute in anyway I am able. My background is in Radiology, I homeschool my kids and I believe in the free market. Please consider me as a member.
31rqF7pqAe8xCUumMEYsB8vyRwYYpqUFrY

Reactions: Bloomie and AdrianX

solex

Staff member
Aug 22, 2015
@Daybod
Good to see your application. Adding you to the list.

All,
I have raised BUIP067 for new members and entered those who have provided a bitcoin address for future voting sessions, this includes:
@Mike Aetherial, @Crypto indo, @shadders, @Otaci, @John Cunningham, @Daybod

We do however, need a btc address from the following:
@KevUnltd, @my3z, @Erik Beijnoff, @Jgoods, @Dave, @sourena, @Nic
I will send PMs. Once we have a bitcoin address for use in our voting system then I will add your name to BUIP067 as well.

Reactions: Windowly

awemany

Aug 19, 2015
@Nic: For voting you in, can you confirm (e.g. on your university's page or so) that your nick here is indeed linked to your identity?

Note that without that, it would be very easy for some of the bullshitters to pretend to be 'Nic' on here - and as we have seen with the scams around BCC, honor doesn't stop them at all...

Can we make some small rules for membership applications? Most applicators in the current round provided nearly zero evidence for us to check if they are serious or trolls and if they are committed enough to not just forget that they have to participate in votings ... doing it with this thin base of information seems like a waste of time for everybody involved

satoshis_sockpuppet

Feb 22, 2016
@Christoph Bergmann
You could have a little web form every applicant has to fill out. With fields for social media accounts etc. and a free text form. (And a field for a public key..) And then put a link to the content of that form on the voting page. I scrolled through the current voting and I agree, it's hard to find any information at all for the applicants.

Reactions: Bagatell

torusJKL

Nov 30, 2016
Can we make some small rules for membership applications? Most applicators in the current round provided nearly zero evidence for us to check if they are serious or trolls and if they are committed enough to not just forget that they have to participate in votings ... doing it with this thin base of information seems like a waste of time for everybody involved
When I applied it was clear to me that I had to introduce myself and give as much as possible information about my digital live as I did not know anyone in person at that time.

I'm a bit confused how some applicants don't give us anything and not even respond to @AdrianX and his questionaire.

Peter R

Aug 28, 2015
@Nic: For voting you in, can you confirm (e.g. on your university's page or so) that your nick here is indeed linked to your identity?

Note that without that, it would be very easy for some of the bullshitters to pretend to be 'Nic' on here - and as we have seen with the scams around BCC, honor doesn't stop them at all...
The bitcoin address he is registering for voting is the same as the one listed on his paper published in Ledger, so, if he's not the person who wrote the paper, then he won't be able to vote anyways [I love cryptography :D]:

(BTW -- I can confirm that @Nic is the same person)