Wall Observer

Would you prefer to:

• 1. Implement SegWit now, lift the block size limit later.

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • 2. Implement SegWit and lift the block size limit at the same time.

Votes: 7 14.0%
  • 3. Lift the block size limit now, and put SegWit on hold (perhaps indefinitely).

Votes: 40 80.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Inca

Staff member
Aug 28, 2015
If we start to see the alts rising with bitcoin then we could be in for some good times ahead.

Let's see how this develops and where this mini run tops out. If shorts get squeezed, then the sky is the limit.

Glad I picked up some ltc previously. My monero is doing nothing :)

Reactions: Norway

solex

Staff member
Aug 22, 2015
I think we have proof that Ripple is a walking-dead dodo bird.

For over a week Huobi etc are offering a massive arb with respect to the dollar and euro exchanges.

Two years ago Stephen Gornick wrote this:

It sure is nice to be able to move funds from one exchange to another using Ripple. This lets me perform arbitrage.

For instance, let's say the XBT/CNY market is overpriced. Ripple might have a path where I can move CNYs at one exchange (e.g., RippleCN) into USDs at another exchange (e.g., Bitstamp) without much of a cost.

This benefits Bitcoin as it helps to keeps markets efficient. As a result of my transaction, Ripple gave me incentive to bring my bitcoins to the XBT/CNY market where supply was tight, and because of Ripple I could absorb some of the supply at Bitstamp by buying "cheap" bitcoins from their XBT/USD market.

I fail to understand why such a useful tool gets so much hate around here.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=323618.msg3468572#msg3468572

So much for that theory.
You would think that in 2 years Ripple would have improved even further, and enabled arbitrageurs to profit from the difference we are seeing now. Instead we are seeing the evidence of a failed experiment.

Last edited:

Norway

Sep 29, 2015

Can't sleep :D
[doublepost=1446170936,1446170231][/doublepost]$20 between Bitfinex and Huobi! Crazy!!!!

Reactions: solex

solex

Staff member
Aug 22, 2015
$24 between Huobi and Bitstamp! Not seen anything like that since Gox imploded.

When the Chinese go on a bull-run they don't do it in half measures.

solex

Staff member
Aug 22, 2015

btc-e $34 behind Huobi, despite having a depth sum ratio of $530

solex

Staff member
Aug 22, 2015
$360 on Huobi, $46 more than btc-e.

sickpig

Aug 28, 2015
so clearly there's no feasible way to arbitrage between china an the western exchanges...

Erdogan

Aug 30, 2015
You need to set aside some value in the form of fiat to do the arbitrage. So there is a limit on capacity.

Erdogan

Aug 30, 2015
Or... may be we do not have a real (market based) exchange rate for the yuan/dollar pair. It is now 6.31, it was 6.35 yesterday. The People's bank of China has been busy fixing the rate.

Maybe it is time to use the actual usd/btc and cny/btc rates to calculate the real cny/usd rate.
[doublepost=1446195487][/doublepost]... meaning the real cny/usd rate is more like 6.86
[doublepost=1446195635][/doublepost]... merging posts, generally fucking with the post structure... is a severe bit shortage emerging on the horizon?

Reactions: AdrianX

sickpig

Aug 28, 2015
@chmod755 I don't even try. mine was just an observation. if a smooth way to arbitrage had been there, 30 (with a pick of 45) $ gap would haven't been in existence.

Georg Engelmann

Sep 10, 2015
Austria
bitcoincashstandards.org
We've all been waiting for another rally since 2013, but maybe we should try to delay this until BIP101 can be activated.

If the price rises fast some people are probably going to join or giving Bitcoin another chance -> Mempool fills up, backlogging starts -> Now what? BIP101 doesn't activate before January -> Slow transactions / Bad user experience -> People are leaving -> Price falls

Of course an emergency patch could allow early activation of BIP101, but that could get messy.

Last edited:
Reactions: AdrianX and Norway

Inca

Staff member
Aug 28, 2015
I just want bitcoin to hold 300 for the next few months pre-halving. Then things will be setup for an excellent run.

AdrianX

Aug 28, 2015
bitco.in
so clearly there's no feasible way to arbitrage between china an the western exchanges...
there is, last time this happened I was paying Chinese suppliers buying bitcoin here selling there. it was amazing but sort lived, defiantly not the only way.

arbitrage is largely about risk management, moving the assets back and forth, I don't think its a feasibility problem.

Reactions: Georg Engelmann