Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.

albin

Nov 8, 2015
The weird thing if you follow the conversation between Cobra and Drak now developing, it looks like Cobra is almost arguing for them to create a protocol spec, but he either doesn't understand or doesn't want to admit it. This whole thing might actually just be a way to muddy and obfuscate the protocol spec conversation pre-emptively in the first place.

freetrader

Staff member
Dec 16, 2015
The weird thing if you follow the conversation between Cobra and Drak now developing, it looks like Cobra is almost arguing for them to create a protocol spec, but he either doesn't understand or doesn't want to admit it. This whole thing might actually just be a way to muddy and obfuscate the protocol spec conversation pre-emptively in the first place.
Thinking of these folks writing up a spec I'm getting visions of OOXML.

OOXML was a multi-thousand-page standard for an XML-based office document format which Microsoft produced (and managed to get standardized in the end through ISO). It was widely viewed that ODF was a superior format, and there was a contest between these two. As Wikipedia puts it, "ISO standardization of Office Open XML was controversial and embittered".
ODF was popular through the OpenOffice suite and had already been standardized. Many considered Microsoft's standard to be a further tactic of its Embrace-Extend-Extinguish strategy, where it built standards which made it very difficult for others to implement or interoperate.

It could happen that Bitcoin protocol standardization becomes an equally ugly battle, if Blockstream/Core decides to follow the route of trying to win the game through a standard which heavily favors them.

Last edited:

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
One of the main purposes behind this thread from the beginning has been to understand the mind of the people who drive Bitcoin aka users. I think we doa better job of that than kore dev.

My favorite part about a potential POW HF vs. 2 MB HF is that lots of small blockers are confident they will keep merchants and exchanges.

Norway

Sep 29, 2015
@Norway

good to see the onchain scaling talks online. The one I missed and wanted to catch was from Garzik are there more vids to come?
I was only part of organizing the conference in the beginning, had to drop out because of disease in the family.

But it's only day 1 on youtube so far. I guess day 2 and 3 (Garzik) will be available soon. @digitsu (the organizer) would be the best person to ask.

Peter R

Aug 28, 2015
@Peter R what's this guy dts railing on about racism? I assume the accusation has to do with your simple squish man gif?
I think their logic is that I'm a "racist by proxy." It seems to have begun by a comment migmagic made a week or so ago. If I recall correctly, his logic was that Classic was co-founded by Olivier (who midmagic considers a racist), and since I supported Classic, I thus supported racism by proxy.

Last edited:

Richy_T

Dec 27, 2015
I really like this line of thinking. As a personal preference i'd love to see Unlimited focus on UX - functionality and design with the main goals of empowering the Node - Slicker, Faster, Stronger.
I'd like to see *anyone* focus on modularizing bitcoin so that you could have several teams writing kickass wallets that could work with several consensus modules that would communicate through several network implementations (and maybe even methods)

Norway

Sep 29, 2015
@Norway: Did Jeff give his talk already?
He was scheduled to do it on day 3, so I think he did. I couldn't watch the conference live because the software for the conference didn't run on Chrome OS.
[doublepost=1467486167][/doublepost]@Peter R
I think he just call people racists as a way of trolling. He is a fucking n*gger!

(* nagger)

albin

Nov 8, 2015
@Peter R

Wow, such grasping at straws for SJW framing on their part.

Personally, I'm one of Olivier's "parasites", and being a non-crazy reasonable person, I can appreciate that the guy has done alot of good for Bitcoin, appears to be a reasonably decent guy, and deserves some benefit-of-the-doubt over losing his temper online and saying something regrettable, which he's since apologized for.

I was taken aback a little at first seeing what he wrote for the first time, but with the prevalence of those kinds of attitudes in the Netherlands, I think it would be a mistake to permanently brand a guy a racist just for losing his cool one time. It's obvious the only reason they're going after him is association with Mike Hearn and blocksize.

freetrader

Staff member
Dec 16, 2015
He was scheduled to do it on day 3, so I think he did.
He was scheduled, but his flight back from Beijing was delayed by several hours, so he had to cancel the talk and the conference organizers said it would be held later, and that people would get a mail.
I was just curious because I didn't get a mail yet and didn't hear of it happening, but sometimes I miss stuff... if I do hear about it happening I'll let you know.

Reactions: Norway

satoshis_sockpuppet

Feb 22, 2016
@Peter R @albin
Don't take the bait. One can never win arguing about this bullshit.
I find most of luke-jr's views disgusting (also exhilarant) but I don't care about them in regards to Bitcoin. I care that he has lunatic views about Bitcoin and that he is one of the guys slowing it's progress down, not about the other stuff.

Never, ever, step down to "arguments" of the kind "You're racist/misogynistic/homophobic/a political correct wimp". It's a lost fight from the beginning.

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
You know, that kinda logic is just disgusting. He's pulled the same bullshit rating of me on BCT. He claims" tunneling" of goods by HF based on nothing but delusio . Now that the public allegations against me have been terminated, he has nothin. He had nothing to begin with.

I have one word for you, midmagic, fuck you.
I think their logic is that I'm a "racist by proxy." It seems to have begun by a comment migmagic made a week or so ago. If I recall correctly, his logic was that Classic was co-founded by Olivier (who midmagic considers a racist), and since I supported Classic, I thus supported racism by proxy.
[doublepost=1467487527][/doublepost]What exactly did olivier say?

If we clear 700, that could mean goodbye to the 600's. Seems quite likely.

Peter R

Aug 28, 2015
"What exactly did olivier say?"

Not sure. I just remember a big kerfuffle a while back about something he said. It had the feel of your standard "let's-demonize-someone-trying-to-help-Bitcoin" character assassination attempt and I didn't bother to pay attention.

albin

Nov 8, 2015
He went on a rant once completely unrelated to Bitcoin about "muslim parasites" out-breeding native Hollanders. I'm not sure what the original link is for context (because it was picked up secondarily by a lot of sites). Basically the underlying point is a traditional libertarian observation that Milton Friedman popularized about the incompatibility of open borders and the welfare state, but I think it's totally reasonable to feel the way Olivier said it was in super bad taste. Typically I tend to associate that tone with statist right-wingers, because in America we have more nuanced forms of discourse that I think were strongly-influenced by Dr. Paul emphasizing fighting against the system and sympathizing with people made dependent by a bad system, and recognizing that centrally-planned monetary economics is the culprit robbing the disenfranchised from the opportunities for dignity and self-reliance.

Reactions: cypherdoc

satoshis_sockpuppet

Feb 22, 2016
Do you have any material evidence that 90% of the posts on /r/btc aren't the work of a single paid shill out to harm the progress and reputation of Bitcoin?

I have weak evidence that this might be the case, the fact that /r/btc communities own crypto pool seems to suggest that opposition to a blocksize hardfork by people who actually own Bitcoins utterly dwarfs support... coupled with the continual promotion of competing systems by people here.
For someone who believes, that /r/btc is run by one single paid shill, Greg Maxwell is arguing a lot in this subreddit. :D

He is on fire again lately!