Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015

Reactions: Norway

Norway

Sep 29, 2015

EDIT: I know it might not be this simple and linear. But I also think specialized, cheap node hardware with custom chips and increased bandwidth combined with code development like the exellent BU team have delivered will keep up with the user demand. We just have to get rid of Core.

Norway

Sep 29, 2015
And on that note (yesss, drinking beer tonight):

I remember a long time ago, some scientists needed a lot of computing power to a project. This would cost their institution millions of dirty, filthy fiat dollars. Then, an egghead came up with the idea to use Playstations that had insane computational power per fiat dollar. So they combined, I think it was 400, Playstations to do the job. The point of the story is...

... I don't remember the point. ;)

freetrader

Staff member
Dec 16, 2015
@lunar : I think he's just trying to show that he's still around, willing to have a rational debate. He's serving the /r/Bitcoin audience bite-sized chunks of common sense to see if there's anyone able to digest them. Sometimes there are new people, who will be able to discern the difference between how he is treated and the gentlemanly manner in which he conducts himself. At least, that's what I think his reason for being there is - to uplift the few who are willing to listen.

I'm glad he goes into much more detail in /r/btc:

Zarathustra

Aug 28, 2015
I really have no idea why Gavin bothers with r/NorthKore that thread is just a farce. I'd have more chance of a rational conversation with a bunch of hens in an industrial KFC chicken coup.
Gavin (Candide) always expects good faith.

OF THE WORLD'S BEST BOOKS

CANDIDE BY VOLTAIRE

Chapter II:
WHAT BECAME OF CANDIDE (Gavin) AMONG THE BULGARIANS

Chapter III
HOW CANDIDE MADE HIS ESCAPE FROM THE BULGARIANS, AND WHAT AFTERWARDS
BECAME OF HIM.

https://archive.org/stream/candide19942gut/19942.txt
https://www.reddit.com/r/btc/comments/4rbaj5/chapter_ii_what_became_of_gavin_among_the/

Last edited:

satoshis_sockpuppet

Feb 22, 2016
I really have no idea why Gavin bothers with r/NorthKore that thread is just a farce. I'd have more chance of a rational conversation with a bunch of hens in an industrial KFC chicken coup.
IMHO it is a good idea for every decent person to stop posting on /r/bitcoin completely. On one hand I can understand that you try to reach at least a few of the lost, but on the other hand posting there is a validation of Theymos' censorship.
Completely ignoring the sub and just doing your own thing might be much better longterm..

freetrader

Staff member
Dec 16, 2015
Known vulnerability on JoinMarket exploited
https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/4rbrmr/known_vulnerability_on_joinmarket_exploited/

https://gist.github.com/chris-belcher/00255ecfe1bc4984fcf7c65e25aa8b4b

"JoinMarket is a young project, there are some possible vunerabilities which could be exploited to spy on every user."
Not sure, but it looks like this quote is from Chris Belcher.

---

@priestc : MultiExplorer looks like a great concept!
May I suggest an incentive for running an L3 node - maintaining a higher degree privacy! I know, it's not a direct monetary reward, but it sure seems attractive to me.

Some questions:
- how will L3 nodes cope with possible KYC/AML requirements that may be exerted by L2?
- is that a reason that why coins which offer much stronger privacy today do not appear in the list of supported services? (I think of XMR for example)

Last edited:
Reactions: Norway

awemany

Aug 19, 2015
Code, like art, has a lot of taste elements to it.

It is very interesting, however, to see /u/theonetruesexmachine come to eerily similar conclusions that I came to regarding the code quality of the current Bitcoin core code base:

Now, I have stated my dislike of especially main.cpp on reddit many times in many places, so I could have inspired him. He's however, adding his very own analysis. Which I fully agree to, but which I have AFAIR not stated anywhere.

So this is definitely at least two different people coming to this conclusion now.

Norway

Sep 29, 2015
- The CSV is an onchain time lock of bitcoins.
- This could be done before.
- Before you had to specify the time of unlocking (At block X).
- Now you can specify the relative time of unlocking (In Y blocks).
- CSV don't really add new functionality, just a more flexible interface and is therefore bloatware.

Do I understand this right? What did I miss?

Reactions: AdrianX

freetrader

Staff member
Dec 16, 2015
@Norway:
- there is no convenient interface or even helpful scripts provided for this in Bitcoin Core, you have to manually cobble together your transaction and pray to the gods of the blockchain that you haven't made an error :)

---

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out to us. My name is ***** and I’m happy to help you with your query.
I'm afraid we do not offer one of [sic] uses, nor do we accept bitcoins, but I will pass on your suggestion.

[advertising of their existing plans snipped]

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to contact me.
Kind regards,
Customer Engagement Representative, SurveyMonkey
Dum spiro, spero.

Last edited:
Reactions: AdrianX and Norway

Norway

Sep 29, 2015
@freetrader
My main point is that you could "cobble together" the same transaction rules before CSV. But I'm not sure if I have understood this right.