Wall Observer

Would you prefer to:

• 1. Implement SegWit now, lift the block size limit later.

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • 2. Implement SegWit and lift the block size limit at the same time.

Votes: 7 14.0%
  • 3. Lift the block size limit now, and put SegWit on hold (perhaps indefinitely).

Votes: 40 80.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ladoga

Sep 17, 2015
Those sitting on the fence, seeing the 1.8 year bear-market may well equate timing an entry into Bitcoin with the gold and silver miners also coming out of their long decline. Geopolitical tensions are high as well as global financial tensions. Perfect storm.
Perfect storm except the blocksize gridlock.

I'm bit worried how it will manifest itself if we begin another huge rally like the ones in 2013. There simply is no room for transaction rate to grow at such a fast pace. Does the price care?

Inca

Staff member
Aug 28, 2015
It is a legitimate concern but the only reason we are bumping against the limit is deliberate attempts to spam the network with transactions.

If the price soars again that is even more incentive to wrestle control from Core to a scaling client for the ecosystem including miners.

Let's see where we are in 9 months!

Reactions: AdrianX

solex

Staff member
Aug 22, 2015
Perfect storm except the blocksize gridlock.

I'm bit worried how it will manifest itself if we begin another huge rally like the ones in 2013. There simply is no room for transaction rate to grow at such a fast pace. Does the price care?
This has been my concern, and the market does care. However, we must admit that the network has coped very well with long periods of >900KB blocks. This was an unknown before. The market is also aware that XT exists, scaling conferences are happening, and that if there was a major uptick in ecosystem growth then the limit could be overcome.

There is still a risk is that a stubborn Core Dev could cut short the next rally and cause price crashes, but it seems that Wladimir is considering implementing the recommendation from the HK scaling conference (if any).

Norway

Sep 29, 2015
Me too. Because the Advocate General of the EU Court is in favor of no VAT. At the same time, a pro VAT ruling would make it impossible to run an exchange in EU. This ruling can be a red/green light for a lot of investments...

JayJuanGee

Sep 29, 2015
A very important ruling from the EU Court will happen on thursday this week. It's about VAT on bitcoin trading in EU. Just saying ;)

Thanks for pointing that out. Seems Like a potentially consequential development in the bitcoin space.

Reactions: Norway

Fatman3002

Sep 5, 2015
A very important ruling from the EU Court will happen on thursday this week. It's about VAT on bitcoin trading in EU. Just saying ;)

This could mean that Sturle can lower his shoulders and we can all raise our middle fingers to Deloitte?

Reactions: Norway

Norway

Sep 29, 2015
Correctomundo, @Fatman3002 !
If Norway follows the EU. I have received a signal from Finansdepartementet that they will follow EU. But you know how slow these people work...

EDIT: I am actually trying to get Coindesk to interview Finansdepartementet about this issue after thursday ;)

Reactions: Fatman3002

Norway

Sep 29, 2015
@Fatman3002

Time for you to take a trip to Oslo. We have meetups 20. november and 15. december. At the december meetup, we will be visited by a Silicon Valley hot-shot buying drinks and giving a talk. He is coming straight from Inside Bitcoins Seoul, where he is giving one of the Keynotes.

Norway

Sep 29, 2015
@Fatman3002
I see your point. Why spend NOK fiat on plane tickets & hotel, when you can buy & hold bitcoin? Better to just land our private jets in the same city in the future! :)

EDIT: PS. Give my regards to Jake.

Reactions: Fatman3002