Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.

freetrader

Staff member
Dec 16, 2015
@Christoph Bergmann : TBH I practically skimmed through the whole Ethereum chapter, just focusing in on statements relating to fork matters like on p.21-22.

I tried to focus more on the Bitcoin parts, even there I focused on the fork-related discussions.

But what I read disgusted me. Jihan was brow-beaten. It looks to me like he was told to get in line or not to bother attending, is my impression. Same goes for F2Pool.

The subservience of miners in that meeting leaves me no hope. Whether they swallow the FUD or not, they see it better to go along than to stand up for their opinions. Either that, or those parts have just plain been censored / changed in the transcripts.

Last edited:
Reactions: majamalu and Dusty

Justus Ranvier

Aug 28, 2015
I don't think F.W. de Klerk was a liar, corrupt, a sadist or an idiot. I think he was sincere that he thought he was doing the right thing. But it doesn't mean he was right, nor that the apartheid regime belongs in the same basket as the ANC.
This analogy is going off the rails because most of what people in the west believe about apartheid and the ANC is a fairy tale.

priestc

Nov 19, 2015
Is there some fully open-source exchange software out there? I don't necessarily mean full trading stuff but along the lines of shapeshift.io. If it were as easy as firing up an AWS instance, then people would support it. Perhaps the maintainer could make money in the AWS image marketplace or just take a share of the cut. That would incentivize them to add other currencies while not having the risk of personally running an exchange.
This is exactly what I was building with multiexplorer exchange. I stopped working on it when I realized that no one uses multiexplorer and no one will likely use multiexplorer exchange either. But an open source exchange that any one can fire up on an AWS instance with minimal installation hassle was exactly what I was going for. If you seriously are interested in the idea, maybe you can install multiexplorer on a server and I can resume working on it? Knowing that there is another soul in the world using my software does a lot to motivate me to keep going.

Richy_T

Dec 27, 2015
I'll take a look but I have a lot of projects on the table at the moment (all my Bitcoin ones on the backburner for now though)

jonny1000

Nov 11, 2015
If an idea is potentially harmful, censoring discussion of it is the worst thing you could do. Allow it to be discussed so that its flaws can be laid out clearly. Even assuming Classic/XT are terrible ideas, theymos's censorship set back the debate a year or more by not allowing the discussion to happen in the biggest forum. Also, the "it's not censorship, it's just removing off-topic content" defense was embarrassing question begging the first time the /r/Bitcoin mods tried it; it's even more embarrassing to see it repeated with a straight face.
I agree censorship is bad, however the forums were flooded with pro XT/Classic comments and critics of these proposals were down voted and healthy debate could not occur. I felt that any flaws I posted were down voted and that there was a mass campaign by people with multiple Reddit accounts to control the agenda in favor of XT.

At the same time I think the moderation policy was too aggressive, although determining the correct level of moderation was very difficult. I appreciate the moderation backfired and resulted in a Streisand type effect. Many people then wanted XT/Classic to win, purely to demonstrate the effectiveness of the Streisand effect.

Like many of you, I thought it was very funny looking at a photo of Barbra Streisand’s house or memorizing a long number Digg.com/the movie industry tried to censor. However the Bitcoin protocol is more important than these things. I do not want to see Bitcoin fail due to the Streisand effect. Many expected the aggressive moderation on /r/bitcoin to accelerate the HF due to this effect. I am sorry, but the protocol rules are more important than that and many will not let that happen.

I am here on this forum discussing XT/Classic with you now. Many “small blockers” have a much longer term vision and are more patient. The debate and discussion is still ongoing.

Last edited:

Zarathustra

Aug 28, 2015
@jonny1000
I felt that any flaws I posted were down voted and that there was a mass campaign by people with multiple Reddit accounts to control the agenda in favor of XT.

That's the same in this forum. You are downvoted not because we run multiple accounts, you are downvoted because you are indeed posting flaws and perverting the rules and the reality.

@Christoph Bergmann : TBH I practically skimmed through the whole Ethereum chapter, just focusing in on statements relating to fork matters like on p.21-22.

I tried to focus more on the Bitcoin parts, even there I focused on the fork-related discussions.

But what I read disgusted me. Jihan was brow-beaten. It looks to me like he was told to get in line or not to bother attending, is my impression. Same goes for F2Pool.

The subservience of miners in that meeting leaves me no hope. Whether they swallow the FUD or not, they see it better to go along than to stand up for their opinions. Either that, or those parts have just plain been censored / changed in the transcripts.
Do you have some interesting quotes? It's long and confusing and I wonder if there is some interesting message inside.

Antpools talk (Jihan?) was quite interesting, but didn't touch the fork-issue.

Some quotes which are lying about Ethereum's Fork.
"It has clearly poisoned the other chain. A lot of the community has found it less interesting because it no longer lives up to what other people joined the community to do. That was not analyzed when people said "just return TheDAO coins". You cannot control the markets. A lot of users lost money in the Ethereum hard-fork. Some of them lost trust in blockchain technology, maybe forever."

Who did loose money? How was it even possible to loose money in the Ethereum-Fork if you have not been a stupid speculator being played by better speculators? Who lost trust in "blockchain technology, maybe forever"?

"There has been a lot of schadenfreude in this community. Damages in ethereum hurt us all to a very significant level. But at the same time I could have warned people more. I think we are all guilty of this."

What? Why?

"In the past, I have reached out to competing cryptocurrencies and told them advice about how they might be screwing things up. Some have listened, others have not. There are places where as a whole cryptocurrency needs to get its act together so that we don't end up getting regulated in bad ways."

Sound like GMax. Bad, that Ethereum did not listen to him.

"It's important to understand that all the confusion and losses and broken promises were entirely foreseeable. And many people had foreseen these problems. The whole Ethereum debacle is really bad for Bitcoin because it shows that some cryptocurrencies are not trustable. For the general public, it's hard for them to make the distinction at all. The public doesn't know the difference."

Again - where is the lost of trust, outside the core-dev-world?

"It's a conflict of interest when there's some insiders that have a vested interest in the outcome of an event ... if you have a strong separation of concerns, where the different players are not crossing over, well we all have kind of a vested interest. It's different because of TheDAO. Ethereum Foundation has something like 20% of all ether. It gives them a lot of weight."

"Ethereum failed even the most basic due diligence in terms of even specifying what they were doing. In Bitcoin land, we wouldn't fail at that part. In Bitcoin, what we do matters a lot more than what they do in Ethereum today."

"The value of money is in consensus. So the Buterin Effect here is way stronger here than in other political systems ..."

"So one thing to say about ethereum, is that you can say that what ethereum did well is that they made lots of positive media and PR while things were failing in the background. They continued to taunt success, while everything was failing in the background."

"Ethereum's hard-fork, for example, is very controversial. It's against their own advertisement that code is law."

"Going back to the other point though, maybe after Ethereum, all hard-forks are controversial perhap"

"I would say, then I would say that the reason why the ethereum community split in this way, ultimately goes to a violation of a duty of care. If they were adequately careful in how they approach all their decisions and promises, then they would have more universal support of the community in one direction or the other."

So, core devs meet miner's to talk bad about ethereum? Are they really so desperated?

I guess they have two fears they want to fight with bad-talking about ethereum:
- fear of the hardfork (in Bitcoin). So they need to make people believe the ethereum-hardfork was a failure, which it is not, even after some core devs tried to support Ethereum Classic
- fear of being outpaced by ethereum. So it helps to tell people that ethereum should not be trusted, neither the blockchain nor the developers.

Last edited:
Reactions: solex and Andre#

freetrader

Staff member
Dec 16, 2015
@Christoph Bergmann
Do you have some interesting quotes?
Interesting in what sense?
  • easily, demonstrably false / incorrect? Yes
  • cheap politicizing of issues? Yes
  • highly probable instances of censorship on behalf of the transcriber? Yes
  • incomprehensible gibberish? Yes
If your interest is in any of those, I can provide quotes.
Otherwise let me know what you mean more precisely.

The problems are two-fold: firstly, while we can certainly guess, with high accuracy, who might have said something, we can't prove it because they censored that information (mostly).

So it might as well have been anonymous Google employees for all intents and purposes. You can't hold anyone to account even if the information presented is blatantly false, or clearly divide-and-conquer politicking etc.

The other problem is the incompleteness of the picture. Almost certainly there are bits missing, which is totally unnecessary in this day and age of recording equipment never mind there are surveillance systems which can accurately identify and pick out individual speakers from crowd conversations.

Or you know, just hire some professionals to do a proper job of taking down notes.

The big issue is how this spits in our faces even just from the way it was done.

Do you think the Chinese got a Chinese translation of the transcript? Where's that published?

Last edited:

Zangelbert Bingledack

Aug 29, 2015
https://www.reddit.com/r/EthereumClassic/comments/4wphvf/quantifying_the_benefits_of_immutability_the/

This seems to be an important point regarding blockchain immutability/irreversibility/neutrality or "code is law".

First approximation: Blockchains are immutable ledgers.

Second approximation: Blockchains can be changed with hard forks, but you can always keep your version of the chain unaltered. Therefore blockchains are still immutable (and mutable, too).

Third approximation: You can always keep your chain unaltered, but your market cap will represent only the percentage of the investors who agree with you. If you just made a lot of money in your version of the chain (like as the result of a smart contract) and not in the other version (where the contract was nullified by hard fork), you only get "a lot of money" *times that percentage.* Hence maybe your chain was 100% unmutated, but if you only got 10% of the dollar value of your expected payout (because only 10% of the investment followed your minority chain), shall we say it was actually practically only "10% immutable"?

This immutability percentage then depends on the ideology or general position of the investing community. The original Ethereum community had a fuzzy and un-unified set of positions on immutability, as the fork revealed. But thanks to the fork the ETC community has a much clearer and more unified position, and the position of the ETH community is at least more clear than in original Ethereum.

ETC's value proposition versus ETH is then stated more clearly as, "The percentage of our market cap that will remain in the unmutated side of any mutating fork is much greater than what would remain in the case of ETH." (Since ETC and ETH have screened themselves in that way already. ETC has effectively "shaken off" most of those investors who would ever consider intervening to bail people out.)

To someone entering into a contract in this environment where bailouts are condoned by some, the position of the investors regarding immutability can be a hugely important factor in the expected payout. That position of course strongly tends to align with the stated unifying philosophy of the chain, but this is especially true if a split like the ETH/ETC one has already occurred, inciting most of the investors to make a clear choice on their position, using their own money.

Once again we see that the investors control the cryptoledger, and that they don't always choose the winner in a binary fashion; in fact their ability to give a specific price to each side of a fork is a crucial factor to keep in mind. In the case of a transaction or contract that got reversed, you can keep your unmutated tx/contract but cannot necessarily keep the whole market value of it.

This is the reason you must assess the mettle of the investors who hold the coins of the cryptoledger you are receiving the transaction or the contract payout in. This must be part of the business assessment. Here, ETC and ETH have demonstrated in actual trading two mutually opposing sets of priorities. This does indeed create two distinct value propositions.

Last edited:

Zangelbert Bingledack

Aug 29, 2015
Another fine article by @DanielKrawisz. Even Paul Sztorc approves.

http://nakamotoinstitute.org/mempool/who-controls-ethereum/

I notice now that the Ethereum Foundation is selling off its premine in the ETC side of Ethereum, effectively unburdening ETC of the premine - assuming it survives the price hit. Daniel raises a very good point that the Ethereum Foundation could create a smart contract, stake a lot on it, then profit if it works but rewrite history if it fails.

Any influence held by the foundation opens the possibility for this kind of abuse. For all we know, TheDAO itself might have been just such a vehicle in the eyes of an insider. From the premine, to the anonymous ICO (fake buy-in is possible to create PR), to the building, checking, and approval of TheDAO, to the endorsement that TheDAO presented no risk of loss of funds, to the hard fork to undo it...is anyone keeping track of how many chances the Foundation insiders have had to shake more money out of Ethereum investors with no real chance of being caught? It's mindboggling to witness.

Dumping the premine at least ends their financial influence over the fate of ETC, and the split itself introduces a healthy skepticism of Eth dev. The ability to continue bleeding the investors dry is now much more limited in ETC. ETH meanwhile remains in its thrawl, perhaps now more than ever.

Last edited:

freetrader

Staff member
Dec 16, 2015
Last edited:

Norway

Sep 29, 2015
@freetrader
Good question! I have not looked after the thread good enough. I don't get alerts on mail when somebody post there. I'll check the thread. And the "settings" to get alerts.

EDIT: But YES! We are doing memes!

Reactions: freetrader

Justus Ranvier

Aug 28, 2015
You can always keep your chain unaltered, but your market cap will represent only the percentage of the investors who agree with you.
You just described one of the primary errors behind the "hard forks should be difficult for the sake of being difficult because democracy is bad" crowd.

The real world effectiveness of any consensus rule is limited by the amount of investor support for that rule.

They thought they could bypass this reality by engaging in hysterical circular reasoning rather than working on ways to convince investors of the intrinsic merits of the rules.

This was always doomed to failure and is counterproductive because they burned up all their credibility for no gain. What investor is going to listen to them defend the fixed supply rule now after they've demonstrated that they are willing to make up ad hoc nonsense rather than argue honestly?

freetrader

Staff member
Dec 16, 2015
Er vi forking Bitcoin?

^ if this is incorrect, then fuck you, Google, fix your software!