Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.

satoshis_sockpuppet

Feb 22, 2016
Still, the issue to me is how on earth could Gavin be tricked. I find that very hard to believe.
As mentioned before, Gavin is no crypto expert by far. I find the different scenarios to fake this charade very believable. Somewhere I read that CSW added the initials "CSW" to the message he should sign. I found that very suspicious as I read it and I can barely encrypt my emails..
Don't know if it's true though. But combine that with a jetlagged Gavin, group dynamics (everybody believes him), a good magician and a charismatic personality and I find it extremely believable..

@cypherdoc & @BldSwtTrs : AFAIK CW is definitely right here. Someone mentioned that Jeff Garzik tweeted essentially the same stuff shortly before that panel. So either CSW is very smart and involved in bitcoin or he is very good to pick stuff up and sell it as his own. Now I would tend to the 2nd possibility.

I'm still completely confused and baffled by this story.
What I'm still asking myself:
- Who paid for all this? (PR team, flights, ..) Does this guy have so much money?
- Did he really just do it for the 5 minutes of fame?
- How deranged must someone be to fake an identity with years of preparation and then doesn't foresee that people want easy obtainable proof?
- Was it him/his PR team who put up the false information about him, positive and negative?

I think it's a very bad day for bitcoin. I know that it shouldn't matter but imho Gavins reputation is irreparably hurt by this. And like it or not, Gavin has been the most important fighter for Classic and a growing blockchain. All of this shouldn't matter but it does. Core now can use their wrong argument of Classic devs being "amateurs" with pleasure. The miners will listen to them, Gregory Maxwell is now the real deal. And blocks were full the whole week...

awemany

Aug 19, 2015
interesting post by TPTB_needs_war. he always seemed to be technically competent. i like this part of what he said:

"Edit: and add Gregory Maxwell (nullc) to list of people who don't understand Turing-completeness"
I am pondering about this and I think that TPTBMW & CSW are right, actually, with the dual stack thing. As far as I understand Ethereum, by having the loops right in script, you avoid linking the blockchain to something external for 'loop replenishment'. With Bitcoin, you'd need to constantly reinject new transactions to simulate loops. That's how I understand the turing completeness, here.

Is that fancy script an advantage of Ethereum, though? Are there scenarios where 'the Blockchain' would exist without external computers replenishing it?
Maybe he simply has a much bigger picture in mind when he's talking about Bitcoin, kind of taking part of what we commonly call 'the ecosystem' into his definition of what constitutes the Bitcoin system, in particular the computers connected to it and providing the looping functionality?

Further: And talking about complexity: Doesn't it make sense then to keep the core system, Bitcoin, as simple as possible?

The whole part would make a lot more sense then!

It is not clear to me - it is also not yet clear (but that might be due to my unfamiliarity with Ethereum) - what one gains, in the end, from the turing complete script language.

However, I think it is also a very weird way of seeing it, basically adding any other layer of '2nd level script' (any computer that submits transactions) to be part of Bitcoin. Does that make sense? Bitcoin not only as in the transaction processor but also as in computers that submit transactions to it?

What I do not understand is the 'ipsec' thing. Only thing I know under 'ipsec' is secure IP encapsulation (encrypted IP packets). Is that meant as an example? I was thrown off by his mention of 'firewall policies', and I am still trying to decipher that. As far as I understand, he does not seem to mention the 'firewall policies' in the 'network security' sense, but rather as in 'firewalling different access policies through the blockchain from each other?'

This part, Gavin and the others confirming their knowledge and the other part where he rightfully asserts that hashcash in unlike Bitcoin's proof-of-work still makes me wonder about this guy. He does have some original thoughts with other parts that seem gibberish. He also appears to be switching levels of abstraction quickly. A usual sign of a charlatan, but maybe also of a genius(?) weirdo?

I wonder what @Peter R. thinks about this.

Do we have a backup of his old website somewhere? I really feel I want to sift through his writings once more. I wonder where one ends up by assuming - just for the heck of it - that he's indeed onto something with his writings.

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
fyi, my bitcointalk.org account got hacked yesterday and they are asking for a bounty to release it.

Norway

Sep 29, 2015
I got to chat with the hosts of The Crypto Show last night about Samourai Wallet and some other stuff:

Great podcast, @Justus Ranvier ! Payment codes and Samourai sound awsome! (I tried to read about payment codes before, but was too lazy to finish and understand it. Much more pleasent to have it explained over the stereo while drinking coffee.)
[doublepost=1462474335][/doublepost]
fyi, my bitcointalk.org account got hacked yesterday and they are asking for a bounty to release it.
Suspect #1: Theymos

freetrader

Staff member
Dec 16, 2015

Norway

Sep 29, 2015
@freetrader
I like this line from the JVP interview:
"Beneficiaries are invited to a conference call 12:00 UTC Friday to discuss interests. Principals only."

More drama tomorrow?

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
Reactions: AdrianX

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
it would make sense that JVP might be the Trustee; since he almost certainly is the only attorney in the group.
[doublepost=1462479575][/doublepost]actually, Wright in this interview says "he did law and a few other things". but my point still stands.

btw, this is a totally coherent interview and was just done 4 mo ago.

Reactions: majamalu and Norway

awemany

Aug 19, 2015
@cypherdoc: That TPTB guy, he actually seems to also write quite sensible things occasionally. But isn't he also the guy who was trolling your old GCBU thread? What's up with him?

Reactions: majamalu

Norway

Sep 29, 2015
I don't like that Andreas Antonopoulos assume that Gavin and Jon was fooled by a con artist.

It's a story behind this. And the story is not a con artist with nothing to gain but fake cred and lots of problems tricked Gavin, Jon and 3 media outlets. With help from JVP and Ian Grigg.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong. I'm a big fan of him, and his intentions are good. I believe he is just trying to do some social dammage control in the community.

Last edited:

awemany

Aug 19, 2015
@JVWVU: I assume that's the woman (don't remember whether there was a name given) who's born in 1970 referred to in some of the older 'leaked'(?!) docs from 2015?

freetrader

Staff member
Dec 16, 2015
@JVWVU :
JVP in interview said HER as trustee. Not saying he isn't involved.
Plot twist:

(yeah, I left that blank so that everyone exercises their own imagination)

Can anyone recommend me the cure for addiction to Bitcoin drama?

Random listening recommendation du jour: Pink Floyd - A Momentary Lapse of Reason
[doublepost=1462484988][/doublepost]Gotta lighten up the mood in here or die trying.

Q: How do you know Satoshi must be Canadian?
A: He's always sorry...

Q: What did Satoshi say to introduce himself?
A: Goodbye.

;-)

Norway

Sep 29, 2015
Gentlemen, we are in the middle of a massive war of power.
And it's certainly not about HF before SW vs SW before HF.
We nerds are easily manipulated by logical puzzles as distractions. This is our weakness.
We have to acknowledge our weakness to defend and attack better.
The enemy has no face. It's real people with real power, but we don't know who they are.
The enemy is not a private company named Blockstream with traditional financial selfish interests for shareholders. It's much bigger than that.

I know we will win. Because bitcoin is like water in nature. You can stall it with dams and change it's direction with channels. But it's impossible to stop it.