Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
Gavin didn't lose access to Core, Core lost access to Gavin.
i'm a little non-plussed with @Gavin Andresen on this one.

if i knew i was going to be going to a meeting with someone claiming to be Satoshi and was going to have to verify his signature, i know that i am paranoid enough to take my own laptop with me to the meeting to do that verification. and i'm not a coder or a cryptographer. why just take a USB key? going out to buy a new laptop wouldn't even have been a consideration with my own laptop. i don't get it; did Gavin not even take his laptop with him overseas (who does that?) or did he just not think to take it to the meeting or was he told not to bring it?

what a crazy story. i'm glad i didn't waste any time on it.

Reactions: AdrianX

YarkoL

Dec 18, 2015
Tuusula
yarkol.github.io
Unfortunately I don't think the SN drama is over.
There is something very strange going on with these cryptic (sic) proclamations coming from Grigg and Matonis. At least it gives an impression of some sort of invisible battle going on behind the scene - apparently the idea that IanG is trying to convey that some of the original "Nakamoto" team members are now orchestrating campaigns against each other.

The other explanation is that Grigg just wants to become a Hollywood scriptwriter consultant or something? The only thing that is missing now is for Mike Hearn to drop some earth-shaking revelation..

awemany

Aug 19, 2015

Justus Ranvier

Aug 28, 2015
It has to be a said: regardless of his other qualifications, Gavin has always been weak in terms of identifying and repelling malicious actors.

Whether or not he got fooled by Wright is immaterial compared to the damage that was done when he handed over the Bitcoin repository to the current maintainers.

Melbustus

Aug 28, 2015
Thanks for the link. That looks so evasive, I am sorry. Yes, the keys could have been stolen. But if so, the person stealing is interested in the money and/or fame. Why should s/he wait?

We have the Bitcoin blockchain exactly because we only need the key to prove our identity to move money around.

Yeah, that post said essentially nothing and seemed more like a guy trying to save a little face than anything else.

But he did manage to sneak in an obnoxious I-know-something-you-dont about Satoshi's coins:

As an aside, I really strongly suggest
that the Bitcoin community not press for the breaking of the trust. If
unsure on this point, ask your miners to explain that old curse "be
careful what you wish for." Breaking the trust is way off the scale of
what anyone will desire.

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015

if i knew i was going to be going to a meeting with someone claiming to be Satoshi and was going to have to verify his signature, i know that i am paranoid enough to take my own laptop with me to the meeting to do that verification. and i'm not a coder or a cryptographer. why just take a USB key? going out to buy a new laptop wouldn't even have been a consideration with my own laptop. i don't get it; did Gavin not even take his laptop with him overseas (who does that?) or did he just not think to take it to the meeting or was he told not to bring it?

what a crazy story. i'm glad i didn't waste any time on it.
same goes for Matonis btw. but at least he has somewhat of an excuse.
The only thing that is missing now is for Mike Hearn to drop some earth-shaking revelation..
lol! that was priceless.

awemany

Aug 19, 2015
@Melbustus: Yes, I am very wary of people claiming any special knowledge of Satoshi.

After all - it is so easy: Get some attention by somehow linking yourself to Satoshi and claiming some special knowledge that no one can prove - except Satoshi himself, but that guy kept quiet for ~6 years now.

If I think about it, the real Satoshi -if still alive- must laugh about this and the legends that are forming around his character. He's probably also expecting that - and he might even intend it. A healthy dose of 'religious feelings' around Bitcoin form a legend and might help the price...

Reactions: majamalu

freetrader

Staff member
Dec 16, 2015
I don't think the drama is over yet either, sadly. I feel for all involved.
Maybe it's just me not picking something up, but I didn't get the feeling of intra-team campaigns from Grigg's post. On the contrary, his post and Matonis' tweet, timed to preceed Wright's announcement, that suggests to me everyone was informed sufficiently in advance.

It's impossible to judge the wisdom of this from the outside, so I'll refrain. Valuable lessons learned all round, I suppose, best if we examine ourselves in the light of these events.

Even if this is a "retirement", I do wish certain practical matters would be resolved cleanly, such as the question on whether a preimage of the transaction hash in the public post was found. #NaggingDoubts

Melbustus

Aug 28, 2015
Even if this is a "retirement", I do wish certain practical matters would be resolved cleanly, such as the question on whether a preimage of the transaction hash in the public post was found. #NaggingDoubts
I just want some certainty that 1M coins aren't in the hands of: 1) a lunatic, 2) some entity with incentive to sell a large portion. Obviously Satoshi can do what he wants with his coins, but in my opinion, it's one of the last things hanging over Bitcoin from a market perspective (and potentially adoption standpoint too as that depends on the state of the market).

JVWVU

Oct 10, 2015
I just want some certainty that 1M coins aren't in the hands of: 1) a lunatic, 2) some entity with incentive to sell a large portion. Obviously Satoshi can do what he wants with his coins, but in my opinion, it's one of the last things hanging over Bitcoin from a market perspective (and potentially adoption standpoint too as that depends on the state of the market).
There is 15.5M coins now mined with total 21M

Any 1 one the 15.5M coins can come to market in next block.

10' is 10'

Last edited:

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015

Melbustus

Aug 28, 2015
There is 15.5M coins now mined with total 21M

Any 1 one the 15.5M coins can come to market in next block.

10' is 10'

Somehow I assumed that the last sentence of my post would prevent responses like this. Guess not.

As a hodler, it's not unreasonable to be concerned about the intentions of a single entity that holds 7% of supply. Seems obvious.

Edit: FWIW, the Satoshi personal that posted the whitepaper and posted on BCT didn't concern me much at all with regard to holding a significant portion of supply, as he's very clearly a deliberate, disciplined, rational person. Craig Wright, on the other hand...well...see my prior posts.

Reactions: majamalu

JVWVU

Oct 10, 2015
If you are worried then dont HODL as much, there is always risk. Just like the stock market if there is 1M tradable shares in a company on Nasdaq and they are all tradable, the CEO can dump his 10% and only has to tell you he did a month later.

In Bitcoin you can see it in 10 minutes with a blockchain navigator.