Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.

albin

Nov 8, 2015
That text description on that Aussie video gives some insight into the tax issue:

Imagine our surprise when it was suggested that Craig was SatoshiNakamoto! Shortly after the release of the article his online presence started to disappear, video's and blogs gone, and a variety of stories started to crop up... apparently he paid $84.25 million with bitcoin for gold and software. The tax agency raided his home 2 hours after the article was published and experts started to crop up with #ProofOfNothingReally.
So if he spent $84.25 million in bitcoin, that's definitely realizing a gain that they would be interested in pursuing. That raises the question though, the realization of the gain had to have been in a tax year that had already been filed? Also why would he be so clueless as to think he could slip unnoticed realizing such a huge capital gain?

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
@cypherdoc
"Give me money, or you will not get your North Korean passport back!"
what's really interesting is that just a couple of days before yesterday's hack, i changed the pwd to a unique similarly complex pwd that i verified was working just fine. so there's definitely no cross platform leak and i haven't heard of anyone else having this problem.
[doublepost=1462486894][/doublepost]
That text description on that Aussie video gives some insight into the tax issue:

So if he spent $84.25 million in bitcoin, that's definitely realizing a gain that they would be interested in pursuing. That raises the question though, the realization of the gain had to have been in a tax year that had already been filed? Also why would he be so clueless as to think he could slip unnoticed realizing such a huge capital gain?
none of the so called identified Satoshi coin has moved though?

kyuupichan

Oct 3, 2015
I just want some certainty that 1M coins aren't in the hands of: 1) a lunatic, 2) some entity with incentive to sell a large portion. Obviously Satoshi can do what he wants with his coins, but in my opinion, it's one of the last things hanging over Bitcoin from a market perspective (and potentially adoption standpoint too as that depends on the state of the market).
Unless you're leveraged I don't see why it bothers you so much. 1m coins being sold would push the price down somewhat, but they would get absorbed, probably faster than you think.

But no one is going to be selling 1m coins in any case.

albin

Nov 8, 2015
It doesn't appear so, although to be fair it's really very questionable whether we have a good enough idea in the first place which blocks the Satoshi coins are even in.

Reactions: majamalu

Inca

Staff member
Aug 28, 2015
what's really interesting is that just a couple of days before yesterday's hack, i changed the pwd to a unique similarly complex pwd that i verified was working just fine. so there's definitely no cross platform leak and i haven't heard of anyone else having this problem.
[doublepost=1462486894][/doublepost]
Unless btctalk has been silently compromised your own personal computer is likely hacked, perhaps with a keylogger, especially if you recently changed password.

@cypherdoc assume the above if no public hack anounced!!

Norway

Sep 29, 2015
Sounds like a keylogger on your computer. But I'm not an expert.

EDIT: @Inca You beat me to it! :D
[doublepost=1462488428][/doublepost]
Unless btctalk has been silently compromised
Bitcointalk was compromised a long time ago when Theymos was compromised, lol.

Reactions: steffen and Inca

Norway

Sep 29, 2015
I never trusted this guy or 21 co. The whole concept is so vague. It's so visionary and advanced that nobody understands it. I understand nuclear physics, but not 21 co's vision. And now he is showing some colour:

BldSwtTrs

Sep 10, 2015
@cypherdoc & @BldSwtTrs : AFAIK CW is definitely right here. Someone mentioned that Jeff Garzik tweeted essentially the same stuff shortly before that panel. So either CSW is very smart and involved in bitcoin or he is very good to pick stuff up and sell it as his own. Now I would tend to the 2nd possibility.
In the video I posted in my last message CW talked about basically smart contract on the BTC chain and that was back in early 2014 so he didn't need Garzik to understand and seems indeed very smart.
[doublepost=1462499769,1462498706][/doublepost]
btw, this is a totally coherent interview and was just done 4 mo ago.
This interview was released 4 months ago but happened in June 2014.

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
tell me that doesn't look good:

johnyj

Mar 3, 2016
Did not even read his blog carefully, but a good test to show some of the people's true color anyway. Wladmir finally locked in, power corrupts, it is so true

Reactions: AdrianX

Melbustus

Aug 28, 2015
This is weird. About the same age as theymos. <tinfoil>maybe theymos really was replaced.</tinfoil>

https://twitter.com/Dr_Craig_Wright

I think this CW saga is far from over. JVP's many claims need to be accounted for, for one thing. He always seemed like a very level-headed guy.
The bitcoin-mag interview he did has it's fair share of annoying cryptic Yoda-like talk. Maybe it's just me, but I hate that stuff and tend to think less of people who do that.
[doublepost=1462510582][/doublepost]
Unless you're leveraged I don't see why it bothers you so much. 1m coins being sold would push the price down somewhat, but they would get absorbed, probably faster than you think.

But no one is going to be selling 1m coins in any case.
Not leveraged.

I agree that it's not terribly likely they'll be dumped no matter what. But I do think that a loose cannon with unclear motives such as CW raises the odds.

Obviously it wouldn't be long-term problem if it happened, but depending on how, it could certainly wreak havok for a while. Would just be nice to have that overhang resolved.

Reactions: majamalu and YarkoL

YarkoL

Dec 18, 2015
Tuusula
yarkol.github.io
@cypherdoc: That TPTB guy, he actually seems to also write quite sensible things occasionally. But isn't he also the guy who was trolling your old GCBU thread? What's up with him?
He comes across as a textbook definition of crank, but he is demonstrably able of very penetrating insight. He is very well versed in computer science and able of viewing cryptosystems and their interplay at many levels. Not very balanced emotionally it seems and as he has many times told, suffers from some physical illness of uncertain origin.
Note that in the latest turn of events he did not pick up this line of thought that he advanced in December, instead his theory now is that Craig's supercomputer helped him to find colliding SHA256 hashes and he did trick Gavin with that in order to drag his name into mud... or something along those lines.

awemany

Aug 19, 2015
@freetrader: Thanks for the archive link, I didn't know that they archived it so swiftly. As these articles were up for just a or day or two, presumably.

@YarkoL: It seems that way, yes.

I think Gavin's reaction now is quite calm and probably the best way to deal with the fact that he has probably been duped. He accidentally damaged his front bumper, and now he's making sure that he doesn't needlessly damage his rear bumper, too, while reversing out of his spot.

Lets see whether Classic survives this. JVP's promises do sound weird AF. What a couple of bizzare days in Bitcoin world.

Zangelbert Bingledack

Aug 29, 2015
Craig Steven Wright
Dave Kleiman
Ian Grigg
Joseph VaughnPerling
Uyen Thuc Nguyen, who is 24 years old (Craig's assistant? The female trustee of the Tulip Trust?)

A fraud by one guy makes some sense, but a fraud by several people, some of whom are respected members of the community from long ago, seems too improbable. Coupled with Gavin and Matonis convinced enough to go out on a limb for no real personal benefit even if Craig had come through. There has to be more to this story.

Last edited:

YarkoL

Dec 18, 2015
Tuusula
yarkol.github.io
The bitcoin-mag interview he did has it's fair share of annoying cryptic Yoda-like talk. Maybe it's just me, but I hate that stuff and tend to think less of people who do that.
I'm feeling the same. So maybe there's some crazy conspiracy situation behind this farce, but I'd rather see Grigg and this JVP character shut up than insult human communication capabilities.

By the way I and connected with this, I have wondered lately if there is something in crypto that makes everyone slowly but surely a bit nutty. I myself of course was crazy to begin with, so I'm mostly worried about you people :)

awemany

Aug 19, 2015
By the way I and connected with this, I have wondered lately if there is something in crypto that makes everyone slowly but surely a bit nutty. I myself of course was crazy to begin with, so I'm mostly worried about you people :)
@YarkoL: Oh, I had the very same thought before. My time spent on these forums is way too much for my actual investment into Bitcoin, for example.

Bitcoin as a slow-acting form of Snow Crash?

freetrader

Staff member
Dec 16, 2015
Last edited:

awemany

Aug 19, 2015
Good news! In comparison to blockchain fees, LN fees will seem close to null !!!
In other words, LN will crash because fees tend towards zero! After all, it is the same for Bitcoin, as we learned from Borgstream, or isn't it?!11!!?

Q: How do you tell that you are in the hands of the Mathematical Mafia?
A: They make you an offer that you can't understand.
Good one :)