Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.

theZerg

Staff member
Aug 28, 2015

freetrader

Staff member
Dec 16, 2015
http://www.coinfox.info/news/4948-hong-kong-allots-hk-17b-to-boost-fintech-industry

A part of the Hong Kong budget will be spent to fintech initiatives, including the development of the blockchain technology, the financial secretary of the city has announced in an official speech.

The overall investment into the fintech sector amounts to HK$17 billion, the South China Morning Post reports. In particular, the government will fund research and manufacture at the Hong Kong Science and Technology Parks Corporation with HK$8.2 billion.

The financial secretary John Tsang Chun-Wah revealed that the exploration of the blockchain technology underpinning the digital currency bitcoin will be encouraged as part of the programme to promote the growth of startups in the city.

Additionally, the plans have been announced that Cyberport will give 3,000 square metres of co-working space to fintech businesses and support 150 fintech startups over the next five years.
Somebody just put a lot of chips on the table!

Last edited:

Badbeat

Nov 30, 2015
Li Ka-Shing is turning out to be a real life supervillain, trying to own and then hug Bitcoin to death it seems.

I for one am very excited to see how this part of the Bitcoin saga unravels...

P.S. when i first heard his name I had a top kek but with this development it's just too much - even for the Bitcoin universe.

freetrader

Staff member
Dec 16, 2015
Is this really the level of media coverage that we have to expect from this event?

So far, cnLedger did a better blow-by-blow of the HK "Consensus" than this official event account. This saddens me a little. I suppose I'll give it some time...

Update:

Three cheers for the guys there who are stepping up to do a Reddit Live thread:

https://www.reddit.com/live/whuv5f6dq9v3

Last edited:

albin

Nov 8, 2015
This completely escaped my mind until recently, but I think this anecdote might give some insight.

A while back I listened to the Bitcoins and Gravy podcast where he interviewed David Schwartz aka Joel Katz from Ripple, and he outright mentioned that the main business plan was appreciation of the self-issued XRP they're holding.

I mentioned this in a relevant Reddit thread and received a private message asking for where to find the exact statement, in order to tell regulators in an ongoing investigation.

The person who sent that private message was Gregory Maxwell!

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
@cnLedger=/u/nextblast has been highly pro core in his tweets on Twitter.
[doublepost=1456585533][/doublepost]
Li Ka-Shing is turning out to be a real life supervillain, trying to own and then hug Bitcoin to death it seems.

I for one am very excited to see how this part of the Bitcoin saga unravels...

P.S. when i first heard his name I had a top kek but with this development it's just too much - even for the Bitcoin universe.
The good news there though is that he owns a load of coin himself since back to 2013 afaik.
[doublepost=1456586171,1456585290][/doublepost]
This completely escaped my mind until recently, but I think this anecdote might give some insight.

A while back I listened to the Bitcoins and Gravy podcast where he interviewed David Schwartz aka Joel Katz from Ripple, and he outright mentioned that the main business plan was appreciation of the self-issued XRP they're holding.

I mentioned this in a relevant Reddit thread and received a private message asking for where to find the exact statement, in order to tell regulators in an ongoing investigation.

The person who sent that private message was Gregory Maxwell!
This has always been Maxwell: highly into manipulative politics in public forums. No wonder he didn't have alot in the way of github commits esp now that he had to give back all the ones he stole from Malmi and Gavin. Again, just go back and compare the ratings histories of the 5 core committers on BCT to see how petty and manipulative he's been. Look at the one where he's lied about me and is trying to extort coin from me.

Last edited:

AdrianX

Aug 28, 2015
bitco.in
Commerce has never happened beyond a hyper-collectivist organism. There is no such thing as a voluntary commerce. That's an old austrian fairytale, where an economy is based on barter.
The barter story is science fiction. The story of the economy is the story of Debt. There is no commerce in the rain forest among self-sufficient communities. Either you are self-sufficient, or you are patronized (collectivized) and forced to do commerce (for the purpose of producing surplus to TPTB).
Bitcoin is a technology that allows for a new form of cooperation. An incentive in my definition is a motivation to receiving a benefits above ones contribution as a result of cooperation. Bitcoin is a value exchange protocol that encourages cooperation, it is different from anything we've seen in the past.

While I totally agree with you I'm not looking for ways to compete for available and randomly distributed resources but finding new ways of cooperating that allows for benefits greater than the net contributions made by partisans. The goal is to embrace technology and use it appropriately we can't uninvent it and move to a rain forest. And we'll never find homeostasis so long as those who embrace technology are motivated by TPTB to consume all resources and destroy the habitat of those who try and live sustainability in a rainforest.

Bitcoin is a wealth redistribution virus once it's taken hold it will eventually result in a new sustainable homeostasis.

Last edited:

Aquent

Aug 19, 2015
Reddit has strangely been somewhat pro theymos to be honest. I am sure many people messaged them giving all sort of evidence, but they unwilling to act. That shows, in my view, a great existential weakness to reddit's model. It has been a great success so far, but its centralisation and constant banning dramas, especially when it comes to a super tech and geek community like btc, is just calling for the next great social network, which of course takes time, until boom, it's here out of no where.

75 million is a lot of money and when someone like Joe Ito speaks unqualifiably in favour of blockstream, when a billionaire like Li Ka-Shing organises secret conferences, you know there's a deep web with hands everywhere.

That said, I don't think cnLedger is pro core, at least not blindly so, but it seems to me that the voice option is getting weak and perhaps exit is, maybe soon, all we have left.

VeritasSapere

Nov 16, 2015
Let me know if I have made any mistakes here, since my understanding of Xthin is still quite weak, though I figured I at least knew enough about it, to defend its merits against these clowns. A fifteen fold speed up in block propagation should mostly be able to speak for itself after all. :)

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1330553.msg14029872#msg14029872

Last edited:

AdrianX

Aug 28, 2015
bitco.in
Speaking of Greg, came across a wonderful old quote of his and wrote it up:

https://www.reddit.com/r/btc/comments/47uqss/emergency_hard_fork_will_be_easy_greg_maxwell/
Thank for fishing that out it's been erking me, I can't imagine how the r/Reddit mob read this stuff and nothing sticks. Maxwell's implying it easy to fork, we only have 80% who agree it's needed we need everyone to agree. Now blocks are full LukeJr says no they're only 40% full the other 60% is economic spam, and Maxwell and his cronies say we can't fork it's too risky.

I wouldn't be so frustrated if their was logic to back up that position but it's based on FUD and a lack of insight into areas of knowledge where Maxwell has expressed little understand, notably economics.

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
among other things, i'm sure Wow continually says to himself, "i crack myself up":

Reactions: dwaltrip

Inca

Staff member
Aug 28, 2015
Reddit has strangely been somewhat pro theymos to be honest. I am sure many people messaged them giving all sort of evidence, but they unwilling to act. That shows, in my view, a great existential weakness to reddit's model. It has been a great success so far, but its centralisation and constant banning dramas, especially when it comes to a super tech and geek community like btc, is just calling for the next great social network, which of course takes time, until boom, it's here out of no where.

75 million is a lot of money and when someone like Joe Ito speaks unqualifiably in favour of blockstream, when a billionaire like Li Ka-Shing organises secret conferences, you know there's a deep web with hands everywhere.

That said, I don't think cnLedger is pro core, at least not blindly so, but it seems to me that the voice option is getting weak and perhaps exit is, maybe soon, all we have left.
Any dissenting voices have been silenced. I no longer post there. The actual number of people posting has fallen dramatically and the terrible reverse psychology trolling is really pathetic to behold.

How anyone expects to win an argument with censorship and dishonesty is the most surprising thing. As a professional in a field entirely removed from bitcoin and IT I can honestly say I wouldn't trust Theymos, Back or Maxwell in the slightest in real life with anything of actual consequence.

AdrianX

Aug 28, 2015
bitco.in
You know I saw MoA gloating this was a great thing on the Other Wall Observer a month or so ago when it was first proposed.

Such ignorance it's not like you'll be able to buy a prepared credit card with Monero if you can't buy it with Bitcoin.

This is a "Solution" to the issue of being able to buy prepared credit cards anonymously to prevent anonymous people buying prepaid credit cards. Monero is less desirable than Bitcoin in this instance.