Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.

AdrianX

Aug 28, 2015
bitco.in
I've become a believer in doing nothing is often more valuable than doing what seems like the best thing.

Replay protection fits in that category. It created more problems than I care to have, and by not fixing it, behaviour changes, which give useful info.

This is a learning opportunity. Bitcoin is so different from anything before it that I'm sure no one knows practically what we should be doing.

Having done nothing but observe for a long time, I know what I should be doing, but that just leaves me with the knowledge that we should let nothing happen often. The problems that arise from doing nothing seem to be the exact problems that need to understand.

Reactions: 79b79aa8 and Norway
Nov 27, 2015
Speaking of technical, what is the status of replay protection post Genesis fork in BSV, for BTC (or BCH) transactions getting replayed on BSV? I know there was that change to patch the p2sh issue, but what about p2pkh txs spending tp p2pkh? Did they remove the replay protection that was in place from when BCH first split from BTC? I figure I would have heard about this if it was a thing, but the p2sh issue indicated replay was possible.
That one apparently got postponed.
Following further feedback from miners and other actors it has been decided that the change to enable use of the original sighash algorithm is premature and to revert that change with a view to implementing it at a later time.
https://bitcoinsv.io/2020/01/09/genesis-specification-finalized/

cypherblock

Nov 18, 2015
Replay protection fits in that category. It created more problems than I care to have, and by not fixing it, behaviour changes, which give useful info.
Can you name one problem that replay protection has caused? It is typically very simple to implement at a technical level (tx must have flag xy, or tx must not have flag xy). How possibly can that cause problems? On the other hand, lack of replay protection has caused many problems.

AdrianX

Aug 28, 2015
bitco.in
Can you name one problem that replay protection has caused?
I'm saying the lack of replay protection has caused me problems, problems I do and did not want.

I can imagine that if you don't want to fix it, then fixing it could be classified as a problem. I have no idea why ABC did not just implement a simple solution when forking away from the original BCH the version of Bitcoin BSV has preserved.;)

Last edited:

cypherblock

Nov 18, 2015
>I have no idea why ABC did not just implement a simple solution when forking away from the original BCH the version of Bitcoin BSV has preserved

AdrianX

Aug 28, 2015
bitco.in
Picard lives in a constructed fantasy, as do many of those who think ABC did BCH a favour when forking off BSV. I live in my own reality one defined by the laws of physics, I test it empirically. I'm sure in time you'll become accustomed to it, or go mad in a make-believe world. ;)

Reactions: bitsko and Norway

Richy_T

Dec 27, 2015
i'd say it's too early to tell -- we don't know which way markets are going to bounce -- but it definitely is the trend we would expect (cripplecoin heads south).
Well, stocks are heading down, gold is heading up. It's easy to see which BTC most resembles.

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
@shadders @Otaci

is Wuckert correct here that hash will have to be ~50:50 split btwn BTC & BSV before undoing the DAA and eliminating replay protection?:

Reactions: Zarathustra

AdrianX

Aug 28, 2015
bitco.in
is Wuckert correct here that hash will have to be ~50:50 split btwn BTC & BSV before undoing the DAA and eliminating replay protection?:
Realistically one want's to be the chain with the dominant hastate before fixing the DAA to 2 weeks.

The 2-week adjustment has one very important function and that is keeping the network from splitting in the event of a global catastrophe or internet outage. The chains that adjust quickly will split with winners and losers on both sides committing to their split. The chain with the long adjustment will orphan the shorter chain and then rejoin the longer chain. With the 2W DAA, the difficulty does not adjust in 2 weeks but relative to the severity of the network disconnect.

I can think of an exception eg a scenario like nChain's EHR (Electronic Medical Record) deal if you get a contract to mine 16 to 32 billion Bitcoin SV transactions a year for years in advance you could commit to the 2W DAA early, eg, one does not care what happens on the more expensive chain as the majority of the revenue is coming from fees not the subsidy and hashing energy expenses are already factored in. Still, it would be risky if you are a >51% miner, doing this early implies you are a centrally controlled protocol.