Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
I agree with that but:

coin supply is not something that business implementing blockchain solutions on BSV even bother to discuss.
if you're claiming it's not worth discussing for them then I assume it's not important to them. which I think is short sighted of them.

Reactions: lunar

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
yes.

Reactions: AdrianX

Zangelbert Bingledack

Aug 29, 2015
@cypherdoc

That's really two different concerns:

1) The miners just move the coins because they think it will be good for their bottom line.

2) A bunch of high courts in a global hashpower-weighted majority of jurisdictions order the coins moved because Craig convinces them all that they rightfully belong to him.

But worded this way I think we'd both agree neither really seem plausible.

If that is still not convincing:

The anti digital gold meme you mentioned is not about being against sound money, just against BTC's idea of digital gold with their belief that there has to be some tradeoff between soundness and transportability - as with physical gold. As @79b79aa8 said, the soundness of the money is regarded a sacrosanct assumption on which all else is predicated, whether we're talking about CSW, nChain, Calvin, the other miners (AFAIK), the app builders, the entrepreneurs, the enthusiasts, or any other stakeholder in BSV.

The idea that people will think he deserves the coins (and that's despite him having to have lost the keys) and are so excited about him getting them back rather than accepting the donation, that miners are convinced it would be profitable for them rather than disastrous? I just don't see it.

A majority of courts granting him the coins (2), as far-fetched as that is (especially assuming they aren't his coins), is still far more likely than (1). And in that scenario, BTC and BCH would be granted to him as well anyway.

Last edited:

cypherblock

Nov 18, 2015
> 1) The miners just move the coins because they think it will be good for their bottom line.

Not sure why people are talking about miners "moving coins". You cannot just move coins without keys, you have to change the software and get majority of miners and non-miners to use it. The new software for example would disable a signature check when moving coins from a address/utxo to a new output. All nodes that are going to follow this chain would need to deploy this code. Or am I missing something?

Anyway it's all crazy talk.

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
@cypherdoc

That's really two different concerns:

1) The miners just move the coins because they think it will be good for their bottom line.

2) A bunch of high courts in a global hashpower-weighted majority of jurisdictions order the coins moved because Craig convinces them all that they rightfully belong to him.

But worded this way I think we'd both agree neither really seem plausible.

If that is still not convincing:

The anti digital gold meme you mentioned is not about being against sound money, just against BTC's idea of digital gold with their belief that there has to be some tradeoff between soundness and transportability - as with physical gold. As @79b79aa8 said, the soundness of the money is regarded a sacrosanct assumption on which all else is predicated, whether we're talking about CSW, nChain, Calvin, the other miners (AFAIK), the app builders, the entrepreneurs, the enthusiasts, or any other stakeholder in BSV.

The idea that people will think he deserves the coins (and that's despite him having to have lost the keys) and are so excited about him getting them back rather than accepting the donation, that miners are convinced it would be profitable for them rather than disastrous? I just don't see it.

A majority of courts granting him the coins (2), as far-fetched as that is (especially assuming they aren't his coins), is still far more likely than (1). And in that scenario, BTC and BCH would be granted to him as well anyway.
those are all concepts I've advanced since the beginning. why won't @shadders or @Otaci just state the obvious like "we would never support coin inflation or advance code granting the 1M Satoshi coins to CSW if he doesn't produce the private keys"? remember, all I wanted was a quote from them that I could link to when battling trolls like u/zectro on this matter that seems to keep coming up from skeptics. I'm an ally and we're in friendly territory. that's it. the way they worded their refusal leaves the door slightly open. it's not like other devs haven't tried things as crazy as this concept sounds; 1mb caps , Blockstream, exchange/miner collusion, checkpoints, and now IFP.

AdrianX

Aug 28, 2015
bitco.in
Second, with regards to "coin confiscation" it is a pretty ridiculous concept to even consider (far worse than recent ABC IFP). Yes I suppose a court could threaten a fine if coins are not to sent to person X by some date, but it seems unlikely to me. Miner is not in any way considered owner of those coins and obviously it would just tank the price affecting thousands of other people.
... and yet those opposed to the idea of BSV believe this to be true?

You cannot just move coins without keys, you have to change the software and get majority of miners and non-miners to use it. The new software for example would disable a signature check when moving coins from a address/utxo to a new output. All nodes that are going to follow this chain would need to deploy this code. Or am I missing something?

Anyway it's all crazy talk.
... most advocates for BCH believe this to some how would be easy to do in BSV, when it is in fact impractical in all versions of bitcoin.

I'd hazard a guess that it may be easier in BTC because Segwit transactions are technically "anyone can spend" transactions where exchanges and payment gateways just need to support the BTC blockchain - not the "voluntary" Segwit code.)

Last edited:

lunar

Aug 28, 2015
why won't shadders or Otaci just state the obvious like "we would never support coin inflation or advance code granting the 1M Satoshi coins to CSW if he doesn't produce the private keys"?
it goes to show it's not up to them -- or anyone else for that matter
It would be rather unethical to discuss, no? It's not up to them, It's not their money.

Sure hypothetically Craig could be an imposter and have some huge long con to claim rights to satoshi's coins, but we've wrestled with the scenario of Satoshi's coins moving since day one. Ownership will have to be rigorously proven, and statements made in advance, or risk further issues of market manipulation.

When Satoshi released the first code and started mining, a social contract was set in place. A Protocol was defined. If Satoshi or Craig were intent on breaking this contract, (i'e make changes that cause unexpected financial loss to others, and devaluing the network) it would open them up to all sorts of class action liability. As the network gets bigger and more stable, I think this dynamic will become more obvious. POW potentially translates into the worldwide jurisdictional legal framework. Big crime will likely require multiple governments in coordination, but as society becomes aware that It's a traceable, honest, system, the incentives will be towards much lower financial crime worldwide.

Law is slow.The issue here is people wanting more guarantee than the international law ruleset, provides. I thought this too for a while, until I realised how Bitcoin is designed leverage the worlds legal systems. It's a part of the Cypherpunk mindset. I code, therefore I can make the immutable rules, society be damned.

We were living in a groupthink bubble.

sgbett

Aug 25, 2015
UK
those are all concepts I've advanced since the beginning. why won't @shadders or @Otaci just state the obvious like "we would never support coin inflation or advance code granting the 1M Satoshi coins to CSW if he doesn't produce the private keys"? remember, all I wanted was a quote from them that I could link to when battling trolls like u/zectro on this matter that seems to keep coming up from skeptics. I'm an ally and we're in friendly territory. that's it. the way they worded their refusal leaves the door slightly open. it's not like other devs haven't tried things as crazy as this concept sounds; 1mb caps , Blockstream, exchange/miner collusion, checkpoints, and now IFP.
I think it's more about perceived value in refuting PoSM vs just getting the work done.

These days I am seeing less value in challenging people like zectro online. Their relevance to people that matter, for me, seems to be diminishing. Engaging seems like legitimising them, I'm not interested in doing that. Let them keep shouting into the void.

I think Bitcoin is approaching (maybe already past) critical mass where people like zectro will ultimately come to be seen as 'flat earthers' or such like. It's a waste of time arguing with them.

Now this is not to say that you raising concerns is the same thing :) please don't get me wrong on that! Your concerns are possibilities that should be considered, lest we become dogmatic in our beliefs and end up blindsided because we refused to consider unpalatable possiblities.

I think the refusal of Shadders and/or Dan to engage in this topic, speaks to their disinclination to engage with trolls like zectro, whether directly or via a proxy. I think it's better to starve trolls of food, they cannot and do not want to be reasoned with, attempting to do so just raises visibility. I sense that may be part of their reasoning.

I do understand how their refusal to engage could be interpreted otherwise and I'm not going to suggest people shouldn't interpret things however they want to, but I did want to offer my interpretation as one possibility.

One of the greatest lessons for me over the last year or so, has been understanding how the inherent value of something differs from its perception. I think at the moment society is hyper focused on the latter, in particular the rise of social media, and the general increased connectedness of people has created a new era of scrutiny/celebrity, under which those that excel in appealing to others are finding some value. I also think the global consciousness is going through some awkward growing pains as a result.

I see this undercurrent of 'appeasing the crowd' as a form of surrogation, that is the bias whereby the measure of a thing becomes more important than the thing itself. The mundane truth of things doeasnt get you likes and subscribes, doesn't signal significance to others in the social game. So it is assigned a lesser value, and 'fake news' prevails.

Some of the philosophical discussion in ICU has covered these ideas (see Plato's Republic, on the nature of justice).

Of course the marketeers would tell me I'm wrong, and that public perception is what sells, and sadly they are in a pragmatic sense correct to some degree. So I think unfortunately there is compulsion to balance the pursuit of the true nature of bitcoin with also appealing to the masses. Whilst I think the Coingeek arm drives this forward, I get the impression nChain is less concerned with this, taking a more principled approach (no disrespect to Coingeek!). I think this explains why dan/shadders are not compelled to try and defend CSW when questions such as this arise.

For me any assertion from them adds little weight to the argument, with all due respect they are just words. A man is defined by his actions etc.

Zectro of course cannot and will not act. All he has are words, and he will take the words of Shadders/Dan and weave them to his own ends. Claiming everything, and yet proving nothing; "they are employees, they are bound to say that" or some such like. Any assurances do not assuage the impartials much, but they serve as "proof" to the detractors that have proven time and time again that these "nonproofs" are a valuable commodity to them (just look at all of the nonsense from the floppy man!)

I think the whole thing compares well with what CSW wrote about Sartre, and signing. People constantly demand 'proof' of things, that in actual fact are in no way actual proof. Confirmation bias is something that everyone is prone to (this whole post could be attributed to that!)

I don't expect you to agree with any of the above, but I do think its as equally worthy of consideration as the notion that maybe CSW is planning the long con of the century! :)

FWIW I also don't think you are a 'random'. I remember things :) and I am mightily pleased at your dedication over the years to furthering this ongoing and epic discussion. A forum within a forum :)

bitsko

Aug 31, 2015
Why aren't BTC'er claiming 'censorship immunity' instead of 'censorship resistance'?

Oh yeah because censorship is possible, has always been possible- it is a matter of how many nodes one(state/states/actors) can dictate to.

Of course nodes in the sense of those groups of machines which timestamp transactions into blocks and distribute them to the rest of the nodes.

If your node does not timestamp transactions into blocks and distribute them to other nodes in the network, then in what way does it contribute to the decentralization of the network?

I would argue that archival nodes simply cannot increase the decentralization of the network (and thus cannot fulfill the after-the-fact promise of 'censorship resistance' without distributing blocks.)

So I would say that all the branches of bitcoin, having their mining operations concentrated into warehouses or large pools are decentralized in the order of dozens of machines. Not hundreds, not thousands.

As a matter of fact if you have too many nodes timestamping transactions and distributing blocks you start to get multiple near simultaneous orphans all around the network. A sign of the network falling apart due to excessive decentralization.

cbeast

Sep 15, 2015
@cypherblock
The most obvious reality is your deep-seated need for caring what others think. Nobody cares what Craig thinks and certainly, nobody cares what you think. Our actions and deeds speak for us.

Reactions: Norway

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
i care what all these guys think. that's why i ask questions. why? b/c it's often a leading indicator of what they do. if you're going around saying you're gonna bomb the WTC, i'm gonna tend to believe you until proven otherwise. on more trivial matters, i may ignore you. bottom line, there's nothing wrong with asking questions of key ppl in the industry or asking them to articulate the principles upon which they stand and upon which they will theoretically act. look at @deadalnix. how did we know there was going to be problems with him? b/c of a combination of his actions (replay, CTOR, checkpoints) AND what he said; "i want mo money", "i could sell ABC for $millions to VC's". how did we know there was likely to be a problem with 1MB; b/c core started saying in 2013 big blocks bad with all their assorted shit theories which i helped pick apart. with what? talk. but the problem itself really didn't arise until 2017. sure, i don't necessarily believe everything i hear as the final arbiter of who a person is. but reading ppl as to as to their future actions is putting 2 and 2 together; what they say and what they do. sometimes i think we go too far in believing Bitcoin will just take care of it.
[doublepost=1583508894][/doublepost]if you're actually gonna believe that law will play a key role in enforcing honest action in Bitcoin, then you have to believe that what ppl say in setting precedent (promises) for future action can be a useful tool in enforcing Bitcoin game theory going forward. @shadders and @Otaci apparently understand this very well.

Last edited:

cypherblock

Nov 18, 2015
The most obvious reality is your deep-seated need for caring what others think. Nobody cares what Craig thinks and certainly, nobody cares what you think. Our actions and deeds speak for us.
Lol, seems like you just got triggered :)

This thread in particular spends a lot of time referencing CSW, and you need only look to recent comments by others to see that your statements (that nobody cares) are objectively incorrect. It is demonstrably factual that CSW holds an important position at the firm leading BSV protocol. That he may or may not be part of the team that created bitcoin is certainly of some relevance to either current BSV holders or potential future ones.

For me, it is more of a curiosity than anything else (disregarding the whole speculation thing).

Reactions: Richy_T

cbeast

Sep 15, 2015
@cypherblock
I don't get the vibe that this forum is CSW worshipping, only pointing out his technical material. He has been fairly straightforward with his intentions and goals. His legal antics are interesting but seem to be a distraction. His goal is to scale PoW beyond current paradigms. I disagree that his involvement has long term effects on the success of BSV. In fact, his (hypothetical and regrettable) demise would probably help its success.

cypherblock

Nov 18, 2015
only pointing out his technical material.
Speaking of technical, what is the status of replay protection post Genesis fork in BSV, for BTC (or BCH) transactions getting replayed on BSV? I know there was that change to patch the p2sh issue, but what about p2pkh txs spending tp p2pkh? Did they remove the replay protection that was in place from when BCH first split from BTC? I figure I would have heard about this if it was a thing, but the p2sh issue indicated replay was possible.

Reactions: AdrianX