Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.

Richy_T

Dec 27, 2015
Are you guys running BSV full nodes?

I run BTC and BCH full nodes. But with BSV I didn't even bother setting something up because I know the chain is going to become too big eventually for me to run a full node.
Stopped running wallet nodes years ago. Earlier this year, I did one final run just to get my few remaining coins off (that hadn't already moved to light wallets). I still run a BTC node for stats gathering but that's mostly because I haven't decided to turn it off.

Reactions: AdrianX
I have a btc and a bsv node on my private system, a little bitcoin in, sync it from time to time, but rarely use it actively as a wallet. Haven't even split the bch/bsv, use it mostly to get stats or to watch Stresstest.
[doublepost=1564440822][/doublepost]Ah, and I have a vps btc node to accept lightning payments. Thinking about running one for bsv, like with some planaria or electrum, but with most providers I know this quickly gets expensive because the massive ssd needed ... Why I a 200 dollar ssd terabyte disc so expensive to rent?

trinoxol

Jun 13, 2019
Germany
> Why I a 200 dollar ssd terabyte disc so expensive to rent?

Because the big cloud vendors charge you an 80-90% margin. They charge 5-10x their cost (on compute, storage might be more).

You can rent a root server with the same power at any old web hoster such as Hetzner for 5x lower price than on AWS, Azure and Google. This is on a monthly basis. You don't need to own hardware at all. The hoster is responsible.

Now realize that hosters usually charge you 1/12th the hardware cost per month. Once per year you effectively buy the server. They also have margins.

At the same time, the big clouds have massive cost advantages. So their cost basis is lower than what a normal hoster provides.

That's why the big clouds (apparently) charge you 10x their cost.

You can get a 3 year cloud plan (not monthly) to save 40% or so. Enterprise discounts usually are 30-50% (showing how big the margins are!). Huge customers such as Netflix surely get a very custom AWS deal. At public prices plus 50% discount, it would not make sense for Netflix to buy AWS.

You can try a smaller cloud or rent a server on a monthly basis. I recommend renting a used server. They are much cheaper than new ones.

(And obviously, the cloud has advantages that the normal hoster does not provide. I'm not saying you should not use the cloud.)

rocks

Sep 24, 2015
@trinoxol the real cloud vendor tax is the network bandwidth surcharge, at $.10/GB it is easy to rack up over $50K / month at normal traffic rates for some applications from a single service. It is insane. Hetzner, OVH and others offer unmetered network traffic, the savings is dramatic.

AWS and Azure and GCP are simply the luxury options for large company IT departments who have budget and simply want immediate access to preconfigured applications. It is the equivalent of flying the entire office to Switzerland every month for corporate training.

trinoxol

Jun 13, 2019
Germany
Yes, traffic costs are insane. IO also is quite expensive. An Azure standard blob gives you 100 IOPS like a hard disk. If you max that out for one month it costs 88 $ just for the IO. That was read IO. Writes are 12x more expensive.

Also, the prices for higher-level products such as web apps (as opposed to bare VMs) and so on can amount to another nice markup on the basic compute price.

But besides pricing, cloud is fantastic. I wonder why the competition between AWS and Azure has not driven down prices. They must be talking to one another. Google is, in my view, not really competing. They mostly offer basic compute and storage services. AWS and Azure are another league.

Zarathustra

Aug 28, 2015
Last edited:

trinoxol

Jun 13, 2019
Germany
Honest question: Why does BU keep carrying on? What point is there?

It seems that ABC implements the BCH strategy just fine. With BU abandoning BSV, the emergent consensus idea is dead with BU.

Maybe just port the features and optimizations over to ABC and shut BU down? Bundle development resources in ABC.

freetrader

Staff member
Dec 16, 2015
Maybe just port the features and optimizations over to ABC and shut BU down? Bundle development resources in ABC.
You really don't have anything better to do, @trinoxol ?

Apart from the fact that BU and ABC both produce software clients, they are very different projects.

Even just the software redundancy is a WIN for Bitcoin Cash. A monoculture leads to stagnation.

Last edited:

Norway

Sep 29, 2015
The gigablock testnet slack channel has been dead since january. I believe someone said more tests and discovery of new bottlenecks etc with the gigablock testnet should be done this summer, but if that happened, it's being done under the radar for some reason.

If any secret scaling development is going on, I guess it would be harnessing the massive power of CTOR...

pafkatabg

Jul 6, 2019
medium.com
Guys,

I am new to the thread, and I am not a BU member, however I am curious to know and I'd like to get a link to the discussion and voting to take this decision:

BU is apparently a gold sponsor for a BCH conference ?!

Richy_T

Dec 27, 2015
https://bitcoinexchangeguide.com/zcash-ceo-zooko-earning-4-2-million-per-year-from-zec-founder-awards/

Is this true? Great deal. Especially considering that Zcash is going nowhere at the moment.

Not only but also...

https://coinspice.io/news/former-btc-devs-sexual-assault-defamation-defendant-launches-750000-online-fundraiser/

Make of it what you will.
[doublepost=1564533365][/doublepost]
AWS and Azure and GCP are simply the luxury options for large company IT departments who have budget and simply want immediate access to preconfigured applications. It is the equivalent of flying the entire office to Switzerland every month for corporate training.
My previous place Was doing a big local VMWare -> AWS push when I left. Last I heard they were starting to move everything back. I think they underestimated the actual costs and how much compute power would be needed (the main application is a pig and no one would listen when you told them that).

Reactions: Dubby the Goldfish

trinoxol

Jun 13, 2019
Germany
I also think it's a way of dealing with an internal, bureaucratic, political and incompetent internal IT. You move everything to the cloud, automate everything, introduce DevOps and then fire everybody. A big cleanup.

In Germany, you need a reason to fire somebody. Incompetence is not a valid reason. But you can fire whole departments if their work as a whole is no longer needed. So you move to the cloud as a legal trick to get rid of the dead wood.

Richy_T

Dec 27, 2015
I also think it's a way of dealing with an internal, bureaucratic, political and incompetent internal IT. You move everything to the cloud, automate everything, introduce DevOps and then fire everybody. A big cleanup.

In Germany, you need a reason to fire somebody. Incompetence is not a valid reason. But you can fire whole departments if their work as a whole is no longer needed. So you move to the cloud as a legal trick to get rid of the dead wood.
That may have been what was being aimed at with my company. It doesn't really work out that way though when you have a good, experienced IT department and you still need qualified people. Just straight devops stops working beyond a certain size and you need some gatekeeping to ensure a new dev doesn't delete your production environment. TANSTAAFL.

Reactions: trinoxol

trinoxol

Jun 13, 2019
Germany
Yeah, and delete all objects including all storage and all backups in one go :ROFLMAO: Maybe abandon all domain names and IP addresses as well.

Sorry for derailing this thread to speak about cloud :whistle:

Alicec

Jul 31, 2019
Anyone can help me set up a full node and keep it running? What is the cost and is it profitable as a passive income from a home laptop? I can give a smallreward.