Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.

https://bitcoinexchangeguide.com/zcash-ceo-zooko-earning-4-2-million-per-year-from-zec-founder-awards/

Is this true? Great deal. Especially considering that Zcash is going nowhere at the moment.
Seems like it is true. What a shit.

The best thing is, in late 2020 the founder reward will run out. Zooko asked the community to keep it in play, because otherwise his company and its employees will have to focus on other projects.

And this after getting 3 or 4 millions a year for nearly four years. I can't believe this guy is so greedy.

Reactions: Dubby the Goldfish

freetrader

Staff member
Dec 16, 2015
My BU node crashed on the 147MB block of SV.
I get a "top many bytes" log even with excessiveblocksize at 2GB.
This seems to be the end of BU on BSV.
A sad moment.
Checked the source code and the log message, if it is the one that says "Excessive block: ... :too many bytes" is completely expected when there is an excessive block. It is an info message, not a fatal error message.

The crash is of course not expected, but may not have anything to do with that message.

Obviously someone with some understanding would have to take a look at your log, your config and machine parameters, and possibly leftover core files.

This is a good opportunity to see if there are any technical BU members who support BSV and are willing to help you free of charge. Otherwise, if you are still interested in running BU on SV, I believe the straightforward capitalist approach of offering to pay (gasp!) BU developers to help you with your problem could be a solution. At least worth a try.

Last edited:
Checked the source code and the log message, if it is the one that says "Excessive block: ... :too many bytes" is completely expected when there is an excessive block. It is an info message, not a fatal error message.

The crash is of course not expected, but may not have anything to do with that message.

Obviously someone with some understanding would have to take a look at your log, your config and machine parameters, and possibly leftover core files.

This is a good opportunity to see if there are any technical BU members who support BSV and are willing to help you free of charge. Otherwise, if you are still interested in running BU on SV, I believe the straightforward capitalist approach of offering to pay (gasp!) BU developers to help you with your problem could be a solution. At least worth a try.
Not a bu member, but I take it...

Start with the flag - - excessiveblocksize=2000000000

Look at your bitcoin.conf if there is an excessive blocksize setting, if so, adjust it too.

But the problem with busv is that it connects to a lot of ABC and buabc nodes, which makes it hard to find sv peers. You find a list on blockchair.org, and can add them manually or just pick 20 and add them in the conf file / starting flag.

@Norway yes, 236mb, what a great day's. Big blocks, here we come.

freetrader

Staff member
Dec 16, 2015

Look at your bitcoin.conf if there is an excessive blocksize setting, if so, adjust it too.

But the problem with busv is that it connects to a lot of ABC and buabc nodes, which makes it hard to find sv peers. You find a list on blockchair.org, and can add them manually or just pick 20 and add them in the conf file / starting flag.

kostialevin already said he tried it with "excessiveblocksize at 2GB", which is equivalent to your suggestion.

Limiting to SV peers only is easy. There are parameters for connecting only to peers you deem good. At least this should get it to sync if you're implying the connections to non-SV nodes are the problem.

I think the crash reason is another, but not going to look at this further.
[doublepost=1564337173][/doublepost]

kostialevin

Dec 21, 2015

This is what I did and I had a list of BSV nodes. However there were no 2GB blocks so I think the issue is related to something else.

I switched to Bitcoin SV. There's no more reason to keep running BU.

Yes, sorry for redundant recommendations. In theory it should work.

Sometimes I use bitcoinsv to sync and than bu to have a gui. But today bu was not able to keep up with a 236mb block, so I started to figure out the bitcoin-cli thing (which was annoying as I use another datadir, so it did not find the Auth cookie without setting it in a flag)

Norway

Sep 29, 2015
BU can't just use improvements done on the Bitcoin SV node, because of the Open BSV license.

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
who's the real liar @freetrader ?:

[doublepost=1564366386][/doublepost]brutalized:

[doublepost=1564366602][/doublepost]the records keep coming so fast i can't keep track of them. congrats to the BSV Team!:

Richy_T

Dec 27, 2015
Seems like it is true. What a shit.

The best thing is, in late 2020 the founder reward will run out. Zooko asked the community to keep it in play, because otherwise his company and its employees will have to focus on other projects.

And this after getting 3 or 4 millions a year for nearly four years. I can't believe this guy is so greedy.

Meh, this is why I don't shitcoin. Always seem people willing to throw their money away though.
[doublepost=1564376415][/doublepost]
Yes, sorry for redundant recommendations. In theory it should work.

Sometimes I use bitcoinsv to sync and than bu to have a gui. But today bu was not able to keep up with a 236mb block, so I started to figure out the bitcoin-cli thing (which was annoying as I use another datadir, so it did not find the Auth cookie without setting it in a flag)
It's this kind of thing why I said the GUI should be separated out as a separate app way back when (the wallet stuff too ideally).

Reactions: AdrianX and sickpig

trinoxol

Jun 13, 2019
Germany
Are you guys running BSV full nodes?

I run BTC and BCH full nodes. But with BSV I didn't even bother setting something up because I know the chain is going to become too big eventually for me to run a full node.

79b79aa8

Sep 22, 2015
with BSV I didn't even bother setting something up because I know the chain is going to become too big eventually for me to run a full node.
business opportunities will arise for those staying ahead of the curve. for example:
Ideally I could sell block data that I care about for a near wash on my resource cost.
BU dropped out of the game, purportedly due to lawsuits against non-lead devs made by some outside party.