Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
If I needed to make a bet I would say BCH will fork again and certainly before BSV.
its inevitable. with any degree of success, the q6mo hard fork schedule is susceptible to disagreements/forking not just from inside but way more likely from outsiders pretending to be insiders. IOW, saboteurs.

Zangelbert Bingledack

Aug 29, 2015
For what it's worth, nChain devs are saying there are changes Core inserted to deal with the complicated logic of choosing with txs to mine under a Maxwellian full-blocks regime. These changes apparently touch almost everything. They could probably use some help in de-Core-ating the code.

Miners will enter to mine BSV if its price rises, and many may not have any loyalties to nChain. These miners will appreciate faster and more stable code unburdened of the Core cruft, regardless of origin.

Richy_T

Dec 27, 2015
If I needed to make a bet I would say BCH will fork again and certainly before BSV.
Given that one of BSV's issues is that it is a minor fork of a minor fork, I'm wondering if any fork should look at BTC again. It has the segwit rubbish but, in my mind, while undesirable, it's not necessarily a showstopper and it could probably be deprecated over time.

attila

Mar 27, 2019
BSV is not a fork of a fork.

BTC forked off the Bitcoin network
BCH forked off the Bitcoin network

The Bitcoin network continues.

- edit -

Yes the code base was forked. But that's besides the point. Just because someone forks a NIC code base, does not mean that Ethernet protocol underneath forked.

Richy_T

Dec 27, 2015
Well, that's certainly a valid point of view. However, pragmatically, BTC is still dominant and BSV is in third place. BSV has its work cut out for it and some issues which its supporters steadfastly refuse to acknowledge. I hope it can fulfill its vision though and I'm keeping my coins.

Norway

Sep 29, 2015
The term "fork" has at least three different meanings in a bitcoin context:
Fork(hard/soft): A change in the consensus rules
Fork: A persistent chain split
Fork: A copy of the code with changes (fork a github repo).

To avoid confusion, I think it's better to use (variants of) these definitions instead of the word "fork".

I agree with @attila that BSV is the version that kept the bitcoin rules.
[doublepost=1553876739][/doublepost]Looks like BTC are in for some mempool action. It's hard to say if this multi-day spike will take off, but a man can dream :sneaky:

https://www.blockchain.com/charts/mempool-size?timespan=60days
[doublepost=1553877191,1553876170][/doublepost]It's friday, let's have some fun!
BUIP XXX: Hire two persons full time to keep track of the BU membership o_O /s

Richy_T

Dec 27, 2015
BUIP XXX: Hire two persons full time to keep track of the BU membership o_O /s
Sounds like a job for a computer. Especially since we're all supposed to have keys & such.
[doublepost=1553877410][/doublepost]Oh, never mind. ISWYM :)

Reactions: Norway

attila

Mar 27, 2019
Well, that's certainly a valid point of view. However, pragmatically, BTC is still dominant
Dominant in what? Not being the Bitcoin protocol? Dominant in fees? Dominant in talk on MSNBC?

BSV has its work cut out for it and some issues which its supporters steadfastly refuse to acknowledge.
Issues? What issues do you see the Bitcoin network having?

BSV has its work cut out for it
I totally agree we have the work cut out for ourselves. That's why it's important we build useful and valuable services on top of Bitcoin instead of working on altcoins.

Reactions: sgbett and Norway

Norway

Sep 29, 2015
BSV has its work cut out for it
We sure have. Personally, I'm working on a global payment protocol for contactless devices (Cards, wearables etc) with token support. There are so much being done in the background now, I don't know what I can say or not, so I'll have to keep my mouth shut. I don't want to screw up other people's strategies.
[doublepost=1553878597][/doublepost]
... some issues which its supporters steadfastly refuse to acknowledge
I'd like to know what these issues are. I don't want to fly blind.

Norway

Sep 29, 2015
Hey @dgenr8, long time, what's XT up to these days?
What do you think about the idea of locking the bitcoin protocol down and just build on top of it?
[doublepost=1553880314][/doublepost]Since this thread is no longer @Peter R 's prefered medium for communicating with the membership, I'll share his tweet:

Reactions: torusJKL

freetrader

Staff member
Dec 16, 2015
For what it's worth, nChain devs are saying there are changes Core inserted to deal with the complicated logic of choosing with txs to mine under a Maxwellian full-blocks regime. These changes apparently touch almost everything. They could probably use some help in de-Core-ating the code.
They can probably call upon Satoshi /s

Norway

Sep 29, 2015
BU is currently in a turmoil, so much happening. Lots of BUIP's and people leaving.

@solex
When are we going to vote next time?

Richy_T

Dec 27, 2015
But I'm giving ABC too much credit. There is plenty of evidence they actually thought splitting would be better than delaying the holy fork.
I'm not so sure of that. I suspect they just decided that they were going to push ahead with their plans whatever the outcome. The "my way or the highway" mentality has been evident for a while and just becomes ever more palpable.
[doublepost=1553884505][/doublepost]
Hey @dgenr8, long time, what's XT up to these days?
What do you think about the idea of locking the bitcoin protocol down and just build on top of it?
[doublepost=1553880314][/doublepost]Since this thread is no longer @Peter R 's prefered medium for communicating with the membership, I'll share his tweet:

UTXO commitments are way overdue. It would be a huge win for any coin that has them.

Norway

Sep 29, 2015
I'm cynical. I view BU as a useful body/tool to promote bitcoin. This organization has a decision structure, smart people and a shitload of money if things go the way I expect.

I see a bright future for BU.

At the same time, I don't worry too much. Not like I used to do before Bitcoin Cash was borned.

Craig Wright came back and saved his baby. BU can accelerate and improve the progress.

torusJKL

Nov 30, 2016
I'm not so sure of that. I suspect they just decided that they were going to push ahead with their plans whatever the outcome. The "my way or the highway" mentality has been evident for a while and just becomes ever more palpable.
You must have missed Deadalnix's famous "investors win" quote.
He was clearly under the impression that the split will end with a financial win for investors.

Reactions: dgenr8 and Norway

Norway

Sep 29, 2015
I think we should refuse to accept anonymous people / monikers as new members of Bitcoin Unlimited unless they can prove an extremely impressive online appearance for many years (3+).

BU have been a cool secluded lagoon for reasonable and logical debate and development for many years while the social media wars happened on reddit and other places. It felt like the troll factories never found out that a single thread on a forum (with many other threads I never read) were the important place. GCBU was an apple hiding among other apples.

It's very easy to take control over the organization Bitcoin Unlimited if you can control the votes with fake identities. We don't want sybil attacks. We want proof of work or other costly signals from people applying for BU membership.

Times have changed. We don't have to hide in the shadows. Adam Draper bought the Silk Road bitcoins from the USA!

If bitcoin is going for global, BU can't be a club based on anonymous members. The elected officers in BU are open with their identities. And so am I.

My name is Stein Håvard Ludvigsen. I'm 48 years old and I live in the deep woods of Norway.

Last edited: