Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.

Norway

Sep 29, 2015
EDIT: Solved my problem with this tool from Bitpay.
https://bitpay.github.io/address-translator/

This sucks big time.

I tried to post this on /r/btc, but it got downvoted to 0. Guess people are jumpy because of trolls. Maybe some of you can help me?
Does Shapeshift not accept Copay adresses for Bitcoin Cash?

I try to send ETH and get BCH from Shapeshift.io. But I get this general error message everytime I try:

"There was an error creating your order, please try again in a few minutes."

(I also tried to mess with the address by removing the last letter, and get the same message. So I get this general error message when the address is wrong.)

I noticed that the BCH address generated by Copay looks weired. It starts with "CSfWap..."

I also read somwhere that BitPay (who make Copay) are making their own Bitcoin Cash address format, or something along those lines.

What is going on here? Do I have to use another Bitcoin Cash wallet app for my Android phone to receive BCH from Shapeshift?

BTC.COM wallet asks for my email, don't want that. Upgraded my Jaxx wallet. Still no BCH support. I think Bitcoin.com's wallet is based on Copay, but haven't tried it yet. No BCH support in Mycelium.

Last edited:

lunar

Aug 28, 2015
@Norway I hear https://www.unitwallet.co/ is pretty decent, although I've not tried it myself. It's a fork of breadwallet for android and IOS

As for copay/bitpay wallets, they are still messing about with their new address format and you need to translate the address. Apparently, you can do that on the fly by adding 'bitcoincash:' beforehand. Although i'm guessing most services have't implemented support for that so it makes it difficult to send to them. QR code scan maybe?

Bitcoin.com's wallet is not bad, not super user friendly yet, and a little buggy, but doesn't have the address issue of copay. I hear there's an update in the works that fixes many of the quirks. - just be careful not to accidentally send BCH to BTC as it often appears as the default wallet.

Other suggestions here https://acceptbitcoin.cash/#wallets

Agree with @AdrianX i've been messing about with most of these wallets recently and none of them are user friendly. We need something that just works and is compatible with the rest of the world.

Last edited:

majamalu

Aug 28, 2015
BTC.COM wallet asks for my email, don't want that. Upgraded my Jaxx wallet. Still no BCH support. I think Bitcoin.com's wallet is based on Copay, but haven't tried it yet. No BCH support in Mycelium.
The Bitcoin.com wallet works for me. Not very intuitive though; I wouldn't be surprised if some people send btc when they want to send bch or vice versa.

Norway

Sep 29, 2015
We are changing name to "Oslo Bitcoin Cash Meetup"!

After running "Oslo Bitcoin Meetup" for 3 years, it's time for an upgrade. 3 years with the blocksize war tearing the community apart.

August 1st this year, bitcoin finally split in two. Bitcoin Cash and Bitcoin Core. And the recent cancellation of the Segwit2x fork made it clear that the Bitcoin Core chain is not going to scale on-chain anytime soon, if ever.

I change the name to point out the direction of the future. Fast, dirt cheap and reliable transactions are the future.

The way the meetup is run, will not change. People with all kinds of views are welcome. Smallblockers, Lightning fanbois, journalists, altcoin preachers, ICO launchers, bitcurious people, traders, movie makers, lawyers, crazy inventors, police & bad boys, tech companies, investors, politicians and even banksters are all very welcome here, as always. Both as guests, and as speakers.

Freedom of speech is the core value of Oslo Bitcoin Cash Meetup.

To kick off the rebranding, I'm starting a global fundraiser for free beer on this meetup. I have personally put up the first 0.287 Bitcoin Cash (BCH) to this address:

https://blockdozer.com/insight/address/1BCd1mgMCJwnvaE97rbXfqxtT4eMLeyDXC

The idea is that we drink up all the funds comming to this address.

Donors of over 0.1 BCH that want me to read out loud a message from stage can sign the message with the private key to the donor address and send it to me. (This can be fun!) This global fundraiser could never have been done with filthy fiat!

In the very unlikely event that we are not able to drink all the funds before Ophelia close the doors, I will take the remaining BCH myself as a bonus for running this non profit meetup for 3 years.

If you want to give a talk, or just say a few words from the stage, please let me know as soon as possible.

To The Moon! ┗(°0°)┛

Oslo Bitcoin Cash Meetup event:
https://www.meetup.com/Oslo-Bitcoin-Meetup/events/245119608/?rv=ea1&_af=event&_af_eid=245119608&https=on

Richy_T

Dec 27, 2015
@majamalu Ive already done that. Even though I color coded the wallet the UI is rather backwards. the saving grace for new users is to forgo privacy and have the same seed for both BCH and BTC wallets.

that doesn't fix the send problem though.
I wonder if that could cause issues though. Here's what I'm thinking...

So with an HD wallet, it is possible to generate an (effectively) infinite number of addresses. But clearly a wallet can't actually watch an infinite number of addresses so what they do (by my understanding) is generate "Last known used address"+n where n is a number chosen to account for not all generated addresses being used. Now, I have some issues with this but the truth is, in most cases, you're not going to generate many unused addresses so n can be something reasonable (20 is recommended from BIP-0044. Not sure what bitcoin.com uses).

However, if you're using the same seed for both chains and you're using one chain more heavily than the other, if you accidentally send to the less-used chain, you may actually send to an address outside of that "Last known used address"+n range and your wallet may not pick it up.
[doublepost=1510724100,1510723473][/doublepost]Can we get some SAHF* hats?

*Sanity Activated Hard Fork

singularity

Aug 17, 2016

adamstgbit

Mar 13, 2016
Maybe we should do another BUIP to trade the Bitcoin Gold for Bitcoin Cash. It seems like Bitcoin Gold is trading for 130$. When you're speaking of a large quantity of BTC it's no small change.
the only problem i have with this is, the idea that its possible the bitcoin gold software added a line of code somewhere that emails your private keys or something.

a fork who's sole purpose is to get poeple to load malicious software, fishing for private keys, seems likely.

maybe devs can do a "dif" of the code base to make sure the changes aren't malicious...

Last edited:

awemany

Aug 19, 2015
Am I the only one who really wants to keep BTC blocks small now?

I just saw /u/Crully accusing @AdrianX of stirring up trouble by asking for that.

I don't think that BTC's vision of no on-chain scaling is successful.

But honestly, I think that, despite all attempts at twisting us to be Keynesians, Jimmy Song was right on one thing: The failure of 2x led to a BCH/BTC divorce. It wasn't exactly an amicable divorce, but still a divorce. The fighting is over.

But I also don't like in-house competition. Yes, I a) support Cash's vision and b) think it is a much more likely path to further success. But that goal to avoid in-house competition goes for both BCH and BTC. Let BTC keep the node load minimal due to a light-weight chain and the decentralization maximal according to Core gospel. Keep it very stable, code wise. Leave it alone after SegWit now.

I still own BTC. I might just be incentivized for a flippening, but that's just another way of saying that I believe that BCH has the better approach.

By owning BTC, I also fully support their vision now. Yes, Greg's and Adam's and all the other guys vision. Maybe it will lead somewhere. I doubt it, but at least they can try it out now.

One can say 'here, you are free to eat your own poison now' and that would be the earlier, more pissed-of way to put it.

But one can also say: I think your approach is extremely unlikely to lead to success. For historical, hedging (in the extremely unlikely scenario that I see success coming from your scenario) and political (I really have no clue whether the miners will do their duty to avoid competition between BTC and BCH) reasons, I still own BTC.

But, yes, please, keep the BTC blocks small now. It is your approach. Let's try it and see what comes from it. We have two visions, now let's try them both and let the market sort out the rest.

molecular

Aug 31, 2015
@majamaluEven though I color coded the wallet the UI is rather backwards. the saving grace for new users is to forgo privacy and have the same seed for both BCH and BTC wallets.
Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't think that's privacy problem to use the same HD seed.

Most Bitcoin Cash wallets use HD derivation path m/44'/0'/145' (satoshilabs introduced this and electron-cash and others followed suit, the bitpay address thing is something else, though, don't confuse) while Bitcoin uses m/44'/0'/0'. So a different set of addresses will be created (inconvertible to each other without the xpriv or xpub, which you should both keep secret).

A remark regarding wallets: why don't you guys use electron-cash?

AdrianX

Aug 28, 2015
bitco.in
I was implying a seed with the same deviation path - I'E same addresses in an SPV wallet the only difference is the BTC keys read a BTC chain server and the BCH keys read a BCH server. A common key on booth networks can be deemed to have the same owner.

albin

Nov 8, 2015
I'm so convinced at this point that Lightning is going to be the low-hanging fruit for extreme regulation that governments and bureaucrats never had before. It literally is exactly the same thing as hawala. If you're making income by being a liquidity provider, I don't even blame governments for potentially considering this the same exact thing as being a hawala agent, and the existing statutes and mandates (regardless of whether obviously on libertarian grounds we agree with these regulations existing in the first place) clearly give authority to require registration and licensure for these kinds of businesses.

The "base layer" can be "decentralized" all you want, it doesn't matter if this is the only way anybody can actually transact bitcoin. And this is best case scenario, where the end user actually transacts on Lightning, which I find extremely implausible in the likely event that only well-capitalized large hubs can function, in which case if you have to be licensed as MSB why not just be a custodian of funds yourself and just settle between each other on Lightning.... in which case enter fractional reserve, etc. In which case you don't need the Bitcoin anymore, these are just banks.

Without a BCH slappening, left to just straight up maximalist Core supremacy, I don't think it's at all unreasonable to be concerned that Bitcoin would've just been the scaffolding to create a system of regulated Internet banks.

Last edited:

imaginary_username

Aug 19, 2015
the only problem i have with this is, the idea that its possible the bitcoin gold software added a line of code somewhere that emails your private keys or something.

a fork who's sole purpose is to get poeple to load malicious software, fishing for private keys, seems likely.

maybe devs can do a "dif" of the code base to make sure the changes aren't malicious...
I posted on Reddit and I'm gonna post here again: I've done it and sold Bitcoin Gold successfully. The key is to move your BTC / BCH first, so there's nothing left in the private key that the BTG devs can possibly swindle. Then you move the BTG - the devs apparently did not think of replay-attacking their own coin to prevent selling - and Changelly worked for small amounts. For additional protection, don't install any of their "official" software, use Coinomi.

This is not very newbie friendly - anyone who forgets to move their BTC/BCH could be in for a disaster - but it works.