Bitcoin Unlimited Membership -- Join us

pekatete

Jun 1, 2016
London, England
icreateofx.com
I don't have any good formula for improving the screening process for new members, and I'd hate to see it deteriorate to the boys club run by BS/Core.
I have to say this is one of the best structured suggestions with regard to BU membership I've seen both in terms of screening and encouraging applicants, all the kudos to @AdrianX . I like it so much that I believe a BUIP should be suggested to incorporate this in the application process.

Reactions: AdrianX

AdrianX

Aug 28, 2015
bitco.in
Thanks @pekatete It doesn't need to be part of BU I'd like to see the rulers around BU remain simple. It could be something voting members require as a personal standard that applicant do before they vote.

It would require more consideration than I've give it for it to evolve but for now I'm not about to approve a members because we need them and do the due diligence as @awemany just did without some effort on their part.

I think participating in general discussion here on the forum would be a good requirement too, that would hopefully keep this forum from the degradation that happened on bitcointalk.org

Last edited:

jake

Sep 26, 2016
Hi all,

I'm not really one for using forums, but several of you should know me by now already. I'd like to become a Bitcoin Unlimited member because I am appalled by the strange and sad direction I've seen most of the bitcoin community take: one defined by censorship, media manipulation, and autocratic control. Worse than just some members of our community participating in these behaviors (which is to be expected), it seems that these behaviors are in fact accepted and supported by the majority.

When I first became an avid bitcoin user 4 years ago, I thought it was a practical way towards achieving greater freedom in the world. What I see happening now in Bitcoin is most definitely not the Bitcoin I signed up for. I think BU is possibly our last chance of recovery.

I'm not a developer, but happy to help where I can.

solex

Staff member
Aug 22, 2015
@jake, great to see your application. And, yes, quite a few BU members know you and the work you have done to help us.
Unfortunately the current new membership vote (BUIP036) is in progress, so you will be in the next one.

mike

Nov 16, 2016
Global
@theZerg I would love to included as a member. I have been into bitcoin since 2012. I am a product manager, writer, editor, strategist, and philosopher. I have worked for bitcoin companies recently.

Technically speaking, i am a generalist and lack engineering chops but I do have basic web dev and some wordpress experience. I am more of a strategist and manager.

I also speak fluent Mandarin Chinese and have localization and translation experience (in bitcoin space and elsewhere).

AdrianX

Aug 28, 2015
bitco.in
Hi @mike & @jake it's great to see your interested in BU. I believe its @solex who manages membership, the one necessity is linking your ID here to your real-world ID or your Internet avatar.
New Members for BU are welcome
At present there is no glory, just being part of a happy band of thinkers and doers, who want to put "decentralized" back into Bitcoin software development.

Please reply in this thread, and include a link to either your real-world ID, or your long-time internet avatar.
FYI Members vote to include new members from time to time, I personalty value the diversity in the voting members and feel it give BU development a more decentralized and macro approach to managing the development of a bitcoin implementation. If the recent interest in BU has highlighted one thing for me it's that BU development needs to draw from a broad base of opinions to avoid the type of echo chamber Core find themselves dealing with today.

I'm looking for creative and critical thinkers to join the membership, but before I vote at the next members vote I'd value your input on the flowing:
  • can give some critical feedback on
    1. one principal you mostly agree with and why
    2. one principal you think can be improved on and why
  • and an appropriate screening question to ask new applicants to prevent introducing bad apples to the membership.

jonny1000

Nov 11, 2015
Please could I apply for membership?

Why I want to be a member
  • I want to learn more about BU and the dynamics of disputes in Bitcoin related to hardforks.
  • I do not agree with all the articles of association and I would strongly advise people not to run BU right now, as I consider it far from ready. Please can I join as a member who does not agree with all the articles? (In particular Article I part III) My understanding is that only members can submit a BUIP, does this mean that only people approved and then who sign the articles can submit a BUIP, unlike the BIP process, where anyone can submit one? Even if it is a good BUIP will it not be considered?
  • I support a hardfork to increase the blocksize limit. I have a vision for massive onchain capacity in the future, perhaps well over 100x current levels. I support a market based dynamic blocksize limit, my favoured solutuon is BIP100 (which over 65% of the hashrate supported at one point). I hope many of you share this vision and I hope you believe me when I say this is my view. I want to help this vision become realized in the long term.
  • I want to help improve BU and make it as safe as possible.

How I can help the effort
  • I bring different set of views, widening the scope of opinions in the community should be considered a positive thing. For example, broadly speaking, I support the stance of many of the Bitcoin Core team has with respect to hardforks. This is very rare in the BU community.
  • I bring an adversarial mindset and am a strong skeptic of BU. This skepticism can help identify flaws that can be fixed. Having a skeptical attitude and mindset can be helpful in finding flaws. Examples of this include:
    • Urging BU to remove the false BIP109 flag – Successfully persuaded parts of the BU community of the merits of this
    • Urging BU to add a checkpoint to remove Core’s asymmetric advantage – Some BU supporters are slowly starting to realize this is a no brainer, since there is no significant disadvanatge of doing this.
    • Urging BU to implement a 95% activation threshold – no significant process has been made in this area, in my view

Last edited:

jonny1000

Nov 11, 2015
really? i never would have guessed... seriously
Yes absolutely, I think almost all "small blockers" want this, we just have a different vision for how to get there and prioritize other things, like "safety", slightly more than larger blockers. Remember the most prominent Core developers put forward a hardfork proposal that would lead to 1GB blocks, however this was by 2067 and too slow for "large blockers", who didn't even respond with a counter offer. The two sides just have a different vision with respect to timing.

Personally I would be ok with a hardfork to an 8MB limit right now. As long as it was done in a safe way, I probably disagree with most of you guys what "safe way" means. I know some of you do not believe this, but it is true. The only frustrating thing to me is that I do not really understand the disadvantage of making the hardfork safer.

As a so called "small blocker", I can help try to explain some of the smaller block philosophy to you guys. Please let me know if I can join?

dgenr8

Sep 18, 2015
I'd be honored to become a BU member. A big reason is to collaborate on consensus-critical updates to the bitcoin protocol.

I used to fear miners setting the block size. Then I realized we've already tried developers setting it, and they failed miserably! Miners have an unbroken track record of acting in bitcoin's interest. Satoshi was right!

I've been a bitcoiner since June 2011, developer since February 2014. I currently maintain the Bitcoin XT client along with Dagur Johannsson.

My keys and social media links are shown at https://keybase.io/dgenr8.

Cheers,
Tom Harding

Emil Oldenburg

Nov 28, 2016
I should have joined a long time ago. So here is my application.

I have been working fulltime with bitcoin since early 2013. I founded Safello, a bitcoin exchange in Sweden, and I'm currently the CTO for Bitcoin.com. I built most of the web sites and services around Bitcoin.com, and now the Bitcoin.com Mining Pool which became the first 100% Bitcoin Unlimited Mining Pool.

I attended the BU conference in San Francisco, and the BU China trip.

eurovive

Nov 28, 2016
Hi Bitcoin Unlimited.
Add me as a member of community.
I support Bitcoin Unlimited because:
1)Bitcoin Unlimited is future of Bitcoin
2)Provides Perspective of growth altogether with IoT (Internet of Things)
3)Non-restricted and non-administrative currency
4)Supports non-commerce projects and help them grow
5)Makes living a Bit Greater!
Happy Winter Holidays.
Bit supporter
Nick Niceman

eurovive

Nov 28, 2016
Hi.One of things i do is to monitor fraud bitcoins sites. Second being user of bitcoin.
Regards
Nick

Helvetian616

Nov 30, 2016
I should have joined here a long time ago. Please accept this as my application.

I've been a software developer for over 20 years and have a strong background in economics. I have a long history as a pro-decentralized development, pro-on-chain scaling, counter-propagandist on reddit.

eurovive

Nov 28, 2016