Wall Observer

Would you prefer to:

• 1. Implement SegWit now, lift the block size limit later.

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • 2. Implement SegWit and lift the block size limit at the same time.

Votes: 7 14.0%
  • 3. Lift the block size limit now, and put SegWit on hold (perhaps indefinitely).

Votes: 40 80.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JimboToronto

Oct 2, 2015
Good morning Bitcoinland.

Closing in on $440 I see. Will that big askwall on Finex get eaten or pulled? Should be fun.

JimboToronto

Oct 2, 2015
Had to run out to get a blood test taken, just got back, and I see I missed all the fun.

I'm not sure which I enjoy more, seeing an ask wall pulled by a bluffing little coward or eaten like the one a while back that they called "manbearwhale" or something. That was fun.

Reactions: soullyG

adamstgbit

Mar 13, 2016
666 is a good target, i wouldn't feel comfortable shorting this bellow 520 at this point. its time to close shorts and go long till at least 520 IMO

we've definitely broken the wedge to the up side, and have big juicy bullish newses coming in a few weeks / months. I feel truly sad that i got discouraged by the idea that segwit +LN was not a good idea and decided to sell a bunch, it was a bad move, the right move would have been to sell their corresponding price price spikes, now i feel once segwit is released will hit 666, and if that goes well and LN fallows a year later we could hit as high as 3200$ on that one!

the pricing in of whether segwit +LN is a good or bad thing will only come into play after its all said and done, we're looking at a year long bull run starting right here right now.

buy or die.

Fatman3002

Sep 5, 2015
the pricing in of whether segwit +LN is a good or bad thing will only come into play after its all said and done, we're looking at a year long bull run starting right here right now.
That's what I'm thinking. If LN works (not so much the code, but the balance of incentives) Bitcoin will probably chug far beyond $3200, but if weird shit starts to happen or the trustless system can't be trusted any more, I'll hold my finger on the sell button.

Roy Badami

Dec 27, 2015
LOL

0.12.1 pre segwit chanages ???

0.12.2 segwit!

this can't be right.... segwit is a minor release? is this a joke?
The version numbering is slightly counterintuitive, but Core policy is that you never do a softfork in a major release - but instead first deploy it on the released branch - as it's considered undesirable to bundle up lots of unrelated changes with a softfork, which is what would happen if you put it in a major release.

Roy Badami

Dec 27, 2015
The point is segwit is a softfork, so it's now allowed to go into a major release.

It stems from the development model, where a major release corresponds to branching and stabilising the master branch or trunk of the repo - hence a major release contains *all* changes commited to trunk since the last major release.

The development model (and the way the numbering scheme is tied to it) is pretty conventional. There would be ways to fix this - to decouple numbering from branching - at least to the extent of allowing a major version bump within a current latest released branch. But I can see that the devs feel they have more important things to work on than the way the development process interacts with version numbers.

I don't see it as a problem, as long as you understand that Core versioning works slightly differently from more conventional software.
[doublepost=1461183208][/doublepost]And just to add - I think I agree with the development approach. I don't entirely agree with the version numbering that results, but on balance I think there are better things to work on than fixing the versioning scheme.

Reactions: Fatman3002