Wall Observer

Would you prefer to:

• 1. Implement SegWit now, lift the block size limit later.

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • 2. Implement SegWit and lift the block size limit at the same time.

Votes: 7 14.0%
  • 3. Lift the block size limit now, and put SegWit on hold (perhaps indefinitely).

Votes: 40 80.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Andre#

Mar 13, 2016

AdrianX

Aug 28, 2015
bitco.in
People seem to be too loosely asserting that something that is censorship, when it is in fact within reasonable management discretion. You certainly know more personal facts regarding your own situation, so I am not attempting to open any of those topics at this point, unless you think that is relevant to such a discussion.
I've had posts deleted from bitcointalk.org and r/bitcoin. I've been banned 3 times from r/bitcoin with lengthy sentences fore none other than my opinions and discussing things I think are relevant to bitcoin.

I would have agreed with you a year ago as most people who are banned are rude, insulting or outright trolling with no humour.

But I was shocked like I bet Adam was when I was banned. It put all the bitchiness I had ignored in a new light.

JayJuanGee

Sep 29, 2015
I've had posts deleted from bitcointalk.org and r/bitcoin. I've been banned 3 times from r/bitcoin with lengthy sentences fore none other than my opinions and discussing things I think are relevant to bitcoin.

I would have agreed with you a year ago as most people who are banned are rude, insulting or outright trolling with no humour.

But I was shocked like I bet Adam was when I was banned. It put all the bitchiness I had ignored in a new light.

Just to be clear, from my understanding, Adam was suspended for 10 days and not banned.

I don't know for sure, but I would imagine that based on his prominence in that forum, they would have warned him before suspending him. If not, then the suspension would serve as a warning towards being banned (or possibly they were considering banning based on what they considered egregious conduct). If he was on a bit of a tirade to criticize moderation and/or management, then they may have considered that conduct to be sufficiently egregious and there may be no need to give out warnings regarding that kind of conduct.

In either case, I believe that in many instances, it would be prudent for moderators to warn before banning or suspending, and possibly a 1-3 day suspension could have been more appropriate in Adam's situation if they were just wanting to "warn him" through the suspension? Those calls remain discretionary.

Like I said I don't really know details, and I am not sure about whether those details are necessary towards the topic regarding whether moderators are exercising reasonable prudence over their forum and whether their suspensions and/or bannings rise to the level of unreasonable "censorship."

Regarding your situation, you should know a sufficient amount of the details concerning the extent to which you were warned before receiving various punishments. Sometimes, also, if you are already banned or suspended once, then those prior bannings/suspensions could sufficiently serve as warnings towards future suspensions/bannings.

AdrianX

Aug 28, 2015
bitco.in
I don't know for sure, but I would imagine that based on his prominence in that forum, they would have warned him before suspending him
LOL, I can't speak for Adam but that's not my experience. You're far too rational. You know most kids in there 20's don't think like this, they need a to go around the block a few times.

Blame the parents but these moderators have more experience being kids with authoritarian teachers than running forums.

AdrianX

Aug 28, 2015
bitco.in
@JayJuanGee Adam did post the reasons he was banned, it was for double posting and such. you do realise the reasons are nonsense, you'd know it if you were one of the 13,000,000 views of or the WO 1.0 and 2.0 thread.

If bitcointalk.org wanted to clean up, by all means, your approach would be a good start - send a warning drawing attention to the rules, and then punish with a bann hammer and enforce without discrimination.

Notice how no cleaning up is underway, the real reason for the ban was questioning authority with his controversial post "2MB Pros and Cons" and his high public viewership.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1393827.0

my ban is for 10 days for
consecutive posts + off topic posts + insubstantial posts + sig ad
[doublepost=1458784201,1458783101][/doublepost]
Those linked posts neither show Theymos as some kind of tyrant.... nor show admissions from him that he is engaging in unreasonable censorship.
Monitor this link below for a while you'll be blown away at what gets deleted, - the obvious spam and anything that is critical of Core, Blockstream or pro bigger blocks.

https://r.go1dfish.me/r/Bitcoin/ (click "new" a cople of times a day or a hot debated thread)

I just checked it as I haven't used it for a while and the format has changed significant. I'm not sure if it's still working but you can check it out still very interesting. When it first came out there was a 2 or 3 week period with very low censorship. I was able to confirm some of my post that had substance were hidden from view on r/Bitcoin, I posted a few comments after my last 30 day ban had expired, they were hidden with no warning or banned. To me it looked like my posts were public, to general users of reedit it looked like I was not posting.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dotto and Andre#

hedgewizard

Mar 14, 2016
hot girl pointed out the reason why in the video, hot girl knows her shit, never question hot girl!

because blockstream.

[doublepost=1458759077,1458758259][/doublepost]at the very minimum there is manipulative moderation going on over there....
developer welfare will not stop the ability of the capturing of devs by private interest. In this case there is just more free market pressure for an opposition group to form. Not to mention there could be principled devs. Blockstream does not prevent core or unlimited from being tenacious. devcoin didn't really pan out did it?

molecular

Aug 31, 2015
Just to be clear, from my understanding, Adam was suspended for 10 days and not banned.
oh, ok. In that case: no harm done, man. /s

"Now wash your mouth out with soap. You're grounded for 10 days!"

"That'll do it. That little bugger wont act up again. Muahahahaaa."

Theymos -- knows how moderation works.

(maybe he has been moderated as a child?)

JayJuanGee

Sep 29, 2015
@JayJuanGee Adam did post the reasons he was banned, it was for double posting and such. you do realise the reasons are nonsense, you'd know it if you were one of the 13,000,000 views of or the WO 1.0 and 2.0 thread.

If bitcointalk.org wanted to clean up, by all means, your approach would be a good start - send a warning drawing attention to the rules, and then punish with a bann hammer and enforce without discrimination..

Prior to my earlier posts, I had seen Adam's description of the reasons for his ban, and I had also been pretty active in WO 1.0 thread in the past couple of years including the past several months.. In the past couple of years, I am likely personally responsible for more than 20,000 views in the W.O. 1.0 thread... hahahahahaha.

I hate to say anything potentially negative about Adam because I believe that he has done a lot to contribute to various bitcoin discussion and sharing his knowledge and experiences; however, in the past few months, some of his posts and threads had been heavily advocating and sometimes even bordering on crazy and illogical.... I mean sometimes he would tone it down for a while, and then again ramp it up. I even personally highlighted my view regarding those kinds of postings on a few occasions and sometimes he would admit that he had been kind of getting carried away.

I'm fairly certain that it is not easy for any forum owner (or administrator) to decide to suspend or to ban members, especially if the members are highly regarded on their forum, and if none of us really knows the exact dynamics of the considerations for the banning, then the forum owners (moderators) retain considerable discretion regarding the extent to which they chose to warn or to publicize their suspension and/or banning standards.

Adults surely don't appreciate others imposing rules on them (through banning and suspension), and also they do not appreciate what would seem to be lack of recognition regarding contributions that they have made in the past. Yet, even if Adam made a whole hell-of-a-lot of contributions (which we know he has), he only retains some entitlement to ownership of those contributions when he stays in good standing with the owner of the forum because it seems that in fact the owner of the forum becomes the owner of the contributions of Adam over the years....

Anyhow, no matter what there are going to be disagreements and fall-out whenever rules are enforced and probably moreso when they are enforced on high profile members and/or when there seem to be changes in the standard (or even arbitrariness as some people have accused).

freetrader

Staff member
Dec 16, 2015
Censorship is futile, and ultimately just a temporary bump in the road, a distraction.

"The Internet Routes Around Damage (TM)"

Reactions: Norway

theZerg

Staff member
Aug 28, 2015
My Reddit post on xthin blocks got 100+ upvotes IIRC on /r/bitcoin and rose to the 2nd spot in 24 hours. At that point I edited the post to say that the work was done in the BitcoinUnlimited client. The post disappeared from the front page within 5 minutes.

@JayJuanGee What country did you grow up in? I'm not going "ad hominem" here in a negative or mean way -- I honestly wonder whether people who grow up in non-free or less-free countries can even recognise censorship when they see it. If so, Jay, it is something that you need to be aware of about yourself...

Forum moderators have the ability to move postings, etc. But they, and those who mediate other channels of social discourse, have a moral responsibility to NOT do so in a manner that attempts to influence public opinion.

adamstgbit

Mar 13, 2016
so i woke up and saw the dip and bounce back that happened in the night

my reaction was " ....... this is fucking retarded ....... "

price isn't moving like it use to. so stable, so Fing stable.

Reactions: Tomothy