Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.

molecular

Aug 31, 2015
we could have blocks, within blocks, within blocks, like nested Russian dolls, fractal
Haha, love it: matroska blockchain.

Tried to coin the term "Matroska cup & handle" couple years back for a fractal chart pattern. It actually played out pretty well, too, I think ;-)

I like stuff that comes back to itself like that... Maybe we can define some sort of "Matroska regression theorem" to explain how bitcoin value is bootstrapping ;)

Reactions: Norway

albin

Nov 8, 2015
I posted a couple of the talks from The Future of Bitcoin individually for convenience up on Youtube per Roger asking in /r/btc, specifically right now @Peter R and CSW is processing right now. (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCya5y2-m66GCADR7baB9Sbw)

If that's not cool and you'd rather drive all the views to the official channel, no prob taking it down or adding links or whatever you want, let me know.

awemany

Aug 19, 2015
This is why I think loops on the chain are not a good idea: (incidentally agreeing with nullc that Ethereum's 'extra functionality' is essentially worthless)

In short, why Bitcoin's loop-less execution model is good enough for everything:

1) Bitcoin does store state (contrary to what nullc says above). The state is simply the UTXO set.
2) Bitcoin script is powerful enough to execute any single step of what would be in an Ethereum loop
3) Smart contracts always have at least one party interested in the execution of the contract. This is key.
4) Because of 2) and 3), the arbitrary complex smart contract will be executed. Note that in the case the incentives to execute a smart contract go missing, there's no reason to execute that contract anymore. Intermediary results will be stored as UTXO on the chain and are properly encumbered by keys, aligned with the incentives of the smart contract's parties.

Compare this also to Ethereum, were a pointless smart contract would continue to consume resources on the chain.

IOW: No need for some 'independent AI Blockchain' bullshit. And for those transhumanist folks: If we ever get AI agents, they'll have an interest in making sure to execute the necessary script steps as much as we humans do.

It by the way also sidesteps the whole 'Turing completeness' argument.

Last edited:

Inca

Staff member
Aug 28, 2015
So I made the mistake of reading /r/bitcoin today.

It is almost a single voice of false propaganda and useful idiots (i.e. pokertravis) and basically devoid of any intelligent conversation about bitcoin.

I suspect the actual number of true unique users on there is very low indeed.

I am holding a lot of bitcoin again but in spite of the price I have never been less optimistic about the long term future.

UASF is worthless and will likely cause massive price volatility. Segwit2x just seems like implementing terrible code for no guarantee of a hardfork - a terrible compromise.

Where is the hard fork supported by exchanges, hodlers and big companies like coinbase to simply raise the blocksize? Shouldn't we be letting the market decide? It is the economics of bitcoin which must be preserved, not false notions of decentralisation.

freetrader

Staff member
Dec 16, 2015
Thank you, organizers of Future of Bitcoin. It was a great, inspiring conference, and a joy to meet so many people of here.

The show of CSW was confusing. He might be Satoshi, more likely not, but this way or that way, he is a genius in his kind, and he said many important things. Like everybody I loved the quote "If you are here since 2009, and you can't afford a 20k Dollar machine - piss of."

CSW makes this whole situation, the censorshop, blockstream and so on, even more ridiculous. Bitcoin is troll money, as it is pseudonymous. Bitcoin gave us trolls with a lot money.

After all the situation is not very nice. SegWit got a lot of hashpower, and if I get it right, we either get SegWit by SegWit2x end of July, or UASF will activate and fork the network with UASF nodes and SegWit blocks, which are currently nearly 50 percent. At the same time the UAHF will start.

So it's either SegWit2x or a chicken game with the risk of an uncoordinated split? Shit.

satoshis_sockpuppet

Feb 22, 2016
rofl looks like the talk of "Bitcoin is Turing complete" already startled the Ethereum crowd.
I knew that it has only one purpose: Get some pieces of that Eth cake back.

Don't remember when I last saw more than a few hundred upvotes for a post on reddit. And every polite and factual question about examples where Ethereum inherently is better than Bitcoin are downvoted, but never answered by the Ethereum fans.

I'm wondering why Vitalik isn't a at least a bit concerned by idiots like this:

Becoming the devil after the Ethereum hype is over isn't something I'd look forward to.

Norway

Sep 29, 2015
So I just got the opportunity to make a song together with some friends that happen to be a band. The working title of the song is "Fuck Blockstream".

The production is funded, and I'm writing the lyrics. Can you help me with this guys?

What I need is short sentences with hard hitting and funny points.

Post them here, or pm me. Don't be shy!
[doublepost=1499334240][/doublepost](Video also funded)

Inca

Staff member
Aug 28, 2015
rofl looks like the talk of "Bitcoin is Turing complete" already startled the Ethereum crowd.
I knew that it has only one purpose: Get some pieces of that Eth cake back.

Don't remember when I last saw more than a few hundred upvotes for a post on reddit. And every polite and factual question about examples where Ethereum inherently is better than Bitcoin are downvoted, but never answered by the Ethereum fans.

I'm wondering why Vitalik isn't a at least a bit concerned by idiots like this:

Becoming the devil after the Ethereum hype is over isn't something I'd look forward to.
Selling my btc for ETH last year put me in a comfortable financial position. I have sold most and now have far more btc than ever before but I would be wary of dismissing ETH so out of hand.

Bitcoin is clearly either captured or Maxwell is so egotistical he would rather see it burn than relinquish control back to the market. My vote is the former - plain greed - and it must rankle to see Vitalik become worth tens of millions as a result of the market functioning as we all predicted it would. Yet he still blindly clings on in the face of the destruction in market share he has overseen.

Whether smart contracts turn out to be important or not is now irrelevant. A final battle is approaching to see which crypto becomes number one as hard money. Unless bitcoin can shake off Core this year then it will be overtaken and almost certainly lose the crown forever.

The uncomfortable truth is that bitcoin is now technologically far behind ethereum and more importantly far more unusable to the average newbie.

Terrible times indeed when we should be rejoicing that btc is 2600$.

Reactions: solex and AdrianX

satoshis_sockpuppet

Feb 22, 2016
Trading altcoins can be a very smart move, I personally am not a "trader type" so I won't start betting on altcoins.

If Maxwell can destroy Bitcoin, Vitalik can destroy Ethereum and Lee can destroy Litecoin. Cryptocurrencies that are dependent on a bunch of developers or, even worse, one developer, are a failure.

"Smart contracts, Turing complete, blah blah" were Ethereums marketing. The "discovery of Bitcoin's Turing completeness", while possibly pretty much uninteresting for today, has the chance of destroying a lot of Ethereums marketing potential.

The uncomfortable truth is that bitcoin is now technologically far behind ethereum
The first version of Bitcoin (minus the important bugs) implemented a protocol on which we could have the world currency for everybody. Since Satoshis whitepaper we haven't seen any technological improvement that would have been a game changer. Ethereum just lives because the core devs and political meddling allows it to.

I find it very plausible, that Ethereum is the banksters honeypot for disappointed, exhausted Bitcoiners.

Give me a hardfork to bigger blocks and altcoins are dead. A marginalia in the history of Bitcoin. A bump on the road.
[doublepost=1499345153][/doublepost]And the Ethereum offensive on /r/btc praising Vitalik and blindly downvoting critical questions is a sign of weakness from the Ethereum foundation.

Looks like damage control in regards to "Turing completeness"...

lunar

Aug 28, 2015
Turing completeness looks like an unnecessary feature for sound money to me. What is the real world application for any of this? (Not that there is anything wrong with exploring possibilities)
This is big picture, longterm thinking stuff. We must have global P2P money first. The network would require enough data points to be of any real value. Equivalent to say Twitter or Whatsapp wrt. the internet.

I think the idea would be, first to have software analysing and interacting with the blockchian rather than embedded within it. Somehow using the entire UTXO like an old fashioned punch card for early computers. You could for example have a Tx that spends itself under certain conditions. Or companies could analyse the UTXO set within their branch to monitor/divert resources where needed based on certain pattern matching. A State Machine. Point being, with big enough blocks and some zero or micro fee transactions all sorts of interesting stuff becomes possible.

I like to see Bitcoin being used as money by the average Joe before the "blockchain starts programming itself" or whatever you are dreaming of here. ;)
If you take the argument further, with enough data points the blockchain becomes it's own prediction market, a Future State Machine if you like. Wether an AI would live within the blockchain is a huge leap? I like to think that could be possible, but why not first have some sort of Autonomous Crawler that can spend certain transactions depending on supply and demand?
[doublepost=1499347338,1499346399][/doublepost]Lots of these thoughts come from a fantastic hour or so chatting with @NewLiberty and @VeritasSapere after the conference, NL who is far more knowledgable on this, has just posted something on slack which explains these ideas much better than I could. So i'll quote it here.

newliberty said:
Let me expand on that ........ Bitcoin is more than money. All money can do, is to persuade people to do things that they wouldn't do without money, but that they would do for money. It can only close the gap between those. It can't convince folks to do things that they would never do, and it is not needed to convince people to do what a persuasive argument can compel them to do already.

Bitcoin is quite a lot more. Consider the implications from the fact that Bitcoin is a 2pda form of money, AND is also the data about everything and everyone that has been so persuaded in the past. Carried forward to the future when Bitcoin is used for everything, it may become the conglomeration of all human desires, recorded for posterity for all time. Then it can do quite a lot of things that no money has ever done before.

Then it can become the engine to fulfill all human desire as well as just record it. The problem of very big data analysis is often getting all that data to the place where analysis can be done. Bitcoin as 2pda inverts this limitation. The computer is within the data. When it can analyze the human transactions to understand, and even predict these desires, it can facilitate the actualization of all of us. It becomes a social memory complex of the first order. It becomes the agent of the sum of all human will, down to the individual level, for each one of us, distinctly.

Then...If then it turns out that the sum of human desire is that we just all want more sex and beer, then the social fabric will optimize for that. If we want to all kill each other, then that...

In the end it all comes down to what each of us want, for ourselves and for everyone else, and confined by the boundary between the things we will do for nothing, and the things we will do if only we had more. This gap is the realm of unfulfilled desire, the realm of hope.

Bitcoin as a 2pda can be the ultimate decision engine. It is why, xxxx, I suggest that it may be where the last AI exists, for better or for worse.

These are only the applications that appear to us here and now for the Bitcoin of the future. Today it is only just barely beginning, much more can come of it. It can be the answer to all our hopes and dreams in a way that nothing ever before could be. It is the bridge between we as humans, and we as more than humans. It is the mirror to a whole human society to show us who we are truthfully, and without edit, and to calculate who we can be as we reach our potentials.

None of this happens without first Bitcoin being a peer to peer electronic cash system, lest we forget.

We need more conferences in the Netherlands (y)

satoshis_sockpuppet

Feb 22, 2016
I think the idea would be, first to have software analysing and interacting with the blockchian rather than embedded within it. Somehow using the entire UTXO like an old fashioned punch card for early computers. You could for example have a Tx that spends itself under certain conditions. Or companies could analyse the UTXO set within their branch to monitor/divert resources where needed based on certain pattern matching. A State Machine. Point being, with big enough blocks and some zero or micro fee transactions all sorts of interesting stuff becomes possible.
I can agree with that. But I fail to see where the eye-opening moment was about that? :p

If you take the argument further, with enough data points the blockchain becomes it's own prediction market, a Future State Machine if you like. Wether an AI would live within the blockchain is a huge leap? I like to think that could be possible, but why not first have some sort of Autonomous Crawler that can spend certain transactions depending on supply and demand?
This is where I'd like to see concrete examples from time to time before it all get's too nebulous..

Well, maybe I'm just a simple individual. :) As of today, most smart contract examples are pretty trivial and most of them don't rely on P2P cash.

We need more conferences in the Netherlands (y)
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=stoner philosophy

;)

Inca

Staff member
Aug 28, 2015
Personally it was the sound money attributes of bitcoin that attracted me in the first place. They are why I still hold more than is probably sensible after a giant bubble :) (there will probably never be a greater tagline than 'there will only ever be 21 million'). The elegance of bitcoin's proof-of-work algorithm and zero-conf instant borderless transactions also amazed me all those years ago - no middlemen!

But those sound money attributes can be copied by any new chain that finds sufficient adoption to usurp bitcoin and win - even by a system that features a proof-of-stake algorithm or smart contract capability inbuilt. That was previously unthinkable (because bitcoin!) but has now almost come to pass in terms of market capitalisation this year.

I remain passionate about cryptocurrency in general but fail to see any evidence that bitcoin will be allowed to 1) scale sensibly, or 2) subsume technical advancements from other innovative projects in the asset class to stay relevant. It is all fine and well saying bitcoin is digital gold but that misses the point that the market will decide what is digital gold, and as soon as the crypto asset space is priced in something else then bitcoin ceases to be anything other than a historical curio. Even this year in the face of an imploding market share there is no move towards sensible resolution - watch out if payment processors begin to support other coins, or if exchanges start to see consistently higher volume in alt-alt rather than btc-alt pairings, or if TX rates on bitcoin begin to collapse..

It may be heresy to say this here but if all the companies in the space got behind a fork of bitcoin which preserved the UTXO set and standard transactions and added: a flexible blocksize, shortened block-times, a solid low energy POS algorithm, I would probably be delighted because finally bitcoin could begin to dominate as it bloody should have for the last two years. It is also heresy to say that I would actually have no problem with bitcoin being run in this manner using only very high powered and extremely well connected nodes (probably sat in high traffic data centres dotted around the world) because as long as the original monetary properties and algorithmic emission remained unchanged then bitcoin would be available to be used by everyone on the planet.

Imagine the possibilities and look at the reality.

Last edited: