Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.

albin

Nov 8, 2015
Wow Maxwell is truly going full-retard on /r/btc.

All I can glean from his statements about segwit, discount, tx fees, etc. is that whatever he wants is right because reasons, and whatever he doesn't want is wrong because reasons, and if those two things contradict each other, that's not a problem, because you're just a paid shill sockpuppet altcoin pumping devil-worshipping child-molester.

Norway

Sep 29, 2015
I had a weired experience right now. I tweeted an answer to Adam Back, and one second later, it was retweeted by 51 strangers.

I suspect it was a mistake by Blockstream/Core's propaganda machinery. Here is the tweet:

[doublepost=1492899228,1492898527][/doublepost]These are the "people" that retweeted me. One (1) second after my tweet.
[doublepost=1492900212][/doublepost]And after checking 7-8 of these "people", they are pure retweeters. And they retweet the same content!

This is clearly done by an ad agency with a lot more clients than just Blockstream/Core.

Zangelbert Bingledack

Aug 29, 2015
So Greg finally admits there is a discount for witness data (relative to now) in Segwit, but of course he has an argument for why it is better. The argument seems to be based on judgments like "UTXO bloat being a bigger problem than witness bloat." If those arguments are true, that could be a good reason for changing the economics (other than, you know, changing the economics), and then the massive benefit to Blockstream would be purely coincidental: he would have found a win-win result for the community and Blockstream. The question is whether the reasoning for changing the discount ratio is sound and - if so - whether it makes it worth changing the economics of transactions.

Whatever the case, we have 76 million reasons for thinking it isn't purely coincidental, prima facie, so his argument had better be way more than handwaving and judgment calls (especially circular reasoning that starts from the premise that small blocks are good).

Norway

Sep 29, 2015
@molecular
A way to find the ad agency is to ask many of their obvious customers who they use to boost their twitter presence.

EDIT: I have looked through different bitcoin twitter profiles to see if anybody are boosted by retweets like I experienced. I looked at some Blockstream employees, trolls, even big blockers, but not found any signs of this being done.

But I will keep watching this. If anybody have more than 50 retweets, it's easy to go in and look at the people who did it.

Last edited:

solex

Staff member
Aug 22, 2015
Another attack vector exploited. Memory exhaustion.

Unfortunately, running with full blocks and a massively bloated mempool is the hardest of conditions for efficient block propagation while allowing flexibility for larger blocks.
A point release is being prepared for this.

In the meantime please try a size like maxmempool=20 in bitcoin.conf
https://gist.github.com/laanwj/efe29c7661ce9b6620a7

freetrader

Staff member
Dec 16, 2015
Curious - another type of attack (some kind of bandwidth exhaustion maybe) ?

https://np.reddit.com/r/btc/comments/67bd00/bu_node_under_attack/

It appears this node,196.40.24.98:41951 (node id: 542) via 127.0.0.1:8333 is attacking my BU node. 4 GB of data sent in the last 4 hours. In my machine, memory usage from mempool is still only 64 MB and growing slowly, while total mem. in RAM from bitcoin-qt.exe is only 400 MB.

Any other BU nodes experiencing this attack?

freetrader

Staff member
Dec 16, 2015

freetrader

Staff member
Dec 16, 2015
@Christoph Bergmann : it would be interesting to get input from Andrew Hinkes, Esq, about the patent situation. Unless you're a lawyer familiar with this subject matter, I don't think there's much point in speculating.

All we can observe is that there might be a patent war about blockchain patents brewing between orgs like Blockstream, banks and big tech companies, nChain etc.