Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.

freetrader

Staff member
Dec 16, 2015
Like /u/ABlockInTheChain /u/BowlofFrostedFlakes suggests in the Reddit thread, at least take the talks along and share them, give out some printed copies etc. For bonus marks, bring a compact projector along and present nearby to whoever wants to listen :) I would ACK a hardware purchase on such an item for this purpose, dammit.

EDIT: got the username wrong

Last edited:

freetrader

Staff member
Dec 16, 2015
I was initially very impressed when Google translated those "832 kroner" to "832 million", but somehow I think they got the numbers wrong on that... or that is a *very* loaded Bitcoin association :)

Reactions: Norway

cliff

Dec 15, 2015
Due to Air Canada incompetence and the climate of security panics @sickpig's plane never left the runway for our conference. Thanks to onchainscaling his talk is already available as a video on youtube.
I'm about 2/3rds of the way through this video and I have a quick - possibly noob - question:

Is the "warm-up" discovery RE: mem pool a new discovery? Its new info to me, but I don't really know if its new for others.

Also, more videos! This video is well done - good quality sound and picture; overall the presentation gives this non-programmer the feeling that he can follow along (sign of a pretty good teacher, IMHO). I think more of these type videos would be helpful for a lot folks in both understanding some research but also in recognizing that serious knowledge exists beyond the people working on the Core implementation.

Lastly, I'll resume my newsy posts later this week after I get caught up with work (prolly tomorrow) if there are no objections.

Norway

Sep 29, 2015
Yes, he is a friend of mine and a regular visitor at my meetups in Oslo. I actually wrote most of his answers in the story. The organization is just a few weeks old, and I'm running for Press Contact on the first meeting in a few days.

I coined the phrase "monetary xenophobia", lol!

Story in english here:
https://news.bitcoin.com/monetary-norway-bitcoin-account/

Justus Ranvier

Aug 28, 2015
One of the things I noticed at the conference is that more than one person mentioned unsolved routing problems, and in both cases I'm not sure if the speaker was familiar with Kademlia.

Any time you want to have an efficiently-searchable distributed key-value store, just use Kademlia instead of reinventing the wheel.

In particular, you could teach Bitcoin nodes to form a searchable key-value store where the values are transactions (possibly also including associated merkle proofs) and the keys are outpoints that appear either on the output side or the input side of the transaction.

freetrader

Staff member
Dec 16, 2015
Last edited:

albin

Nov 8, 2015
I think the most likely explanation is that large professional miners believe that they will become the infrastructure providers for future layer-2 solutions, which is not an unrealistic assumption. For example, Lightning Network benefits significantly in terms of risk profile from mining centralization, which is only magnified by on-chain congestion, whereby large centralized miners are practically guaranteed to be able to enforce their own channels in time. The fairy-tale decentralized Lightning "node" infrastructure being sold to the general Bitcoin public is subject to vastly more systemic risk in the face of choked on-chain capacity.

lunar

Aug 28, 2015

freetrader

Staff member
Dec 16, 2015
Thinking about it for a minute, if I was a "minority voice" big-block supporting miner in China, I might also think twice about publicly support bigger blocks (BIP109) or opposing SegWit (refusing to signal support for it now or when it starts).

I don't think anymore that it's largely a matter of cowardice or shortsightedness. We don't know to what extent big-blockers in China (like @Jihan) have been threatened by Blockstream/Core supporters already. There is a very real risk that if they don't go along, they could face significant repercussions. That's what happens when you significantly lose anonymous mining - it becomes possible to coerce miners under threats of violence, reputational damage etc. Right, @HelloGuy [1] ?

I do believe that this makes it even more necessary to provide a POW fork.

[1] https://bitco.in/forum/threads/gold-collapsing-bitcoin-up.16/page-798#post-28361

---

Last edited: