Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.

jonny1000

Nov 11, 2015
In short, they cannot compromise because status quo has for them incredibly strong pull, as they see the immutability of Bitcoin or at least extreme difficulty in changing it (not speaking of the ledger, nor of just the monetary rules, but all the current consensus rules!) as being the very bedrock of Bitcoin's value. Without it, they fear total destruction. Thus they are prepared to sacrifice a lot to "HOLD THE LINE."
This is a good post. I think this is correct, in the event of any significant dispute, it is absolutely vital that the existing rules prevail. I agree this is the very bedrock of Bitcoin's value and core to what Bitcoin is. The whole point of Bitcoin is for the participants to agree on one chain, unfortunately in order to do that, we need to agree on the rules for block validity. I agree this is a shame and technical limitation, but there is no point denying this fact.

I do not think this characteristic does significantly reduce the flexibility of the system or the ability of us to innovate. This is because software changes and improvements can occur in various forms:

As the above table shows, a hardfork is only a tiny narrow subset of the potential changes that can occur. The amount you can do with the three other types of improvements is very large anyway, therefore it should not really be a problem and the system is still dynamic, flexible and allows permisionless innovation.

It is clear that most of you on this forum disagree with the above description. However, it seems to me the situation can best be described as follows:

I do not understand why the large blockists insists on counter productively conflating the above two issues. If you think a blocksize limit increase is urgent, why don't you not separate these stances? Lets do a blocksize limit increase with strong consensus now and at the same time, separately, continue the discussion on the need for strong consensus.

Your next question is why don't the opponents of Classic propose the hardfork with consensus?

The reason we will not do this is that during periods of a significant attempt to hardfork without consensus, the action we take is to unite behind the existing rules, as part of a defense mechanism, to ensure the attack is defeated. I believe I am strongly incentivised to rally behind the existing rules during the attacks and see this as a core property of Bitcoin. I appreciate many of you do not understand this as you do not agree.

Well this means that just 5% of the network can block changes by attacking, that is bad?

As explained above, I do not see this as a significant problem, as a whole range of changes can be made without hardforking.

albin

Nov 8, 2015
The reason we will not do this is that during periods of a significant attempt to hardfork without consensus, the action we take is to unite behind the existing rules, as part of a defense mechanism, to ensure the attack is defeated.
This is a very revealing quote that we should take into consideration. This is basically the self-aggrandizing way of saying "because it's not our idea".

KarmaKameleon

Mar 25, 2016
@KarmaKameleon
I'm not hiding myself. My name is Stein H. Ludvigsen, I live in Norway. Most people here are not afraid to share who they are. Brg444 has published public info about himself. But it's probably a fake identity. Who are you, @KarmaKameleon ?
Stein, my comment was not addressed at your remark specifically. I am merely saying that humans attach too much importance to our real identities, in a time when this is perhaps not wise, and certainly not always necessary. Chameleons have small brains, and we change our color, but our nature remains the same - harmless. Like you, I am irked by those who'se nature is harmful and subject to influences, but try to hide this behind fake identities.

lunar

Aug 28, 2015
Well this means that just 5% of the network can block changes by attacking, that is bad?
Obviously !

let's say there is some sort of quantum computing breakthrough and something bad really does need to be changed quickly. For a the cheap price of 6% of the hashing power you can now hold the entire network to ransom. (51% attack for the price of 6%)

51% was not 'chosen' so changes can be made easily, it's naturally selected becasue it's the equilibrium mid point and furthest away from extremism.

jonny1000

Nov 11, 2015
For me this whole thing has moved beyond the technicalities and is much more about the players involved. I don't want anything to do with Kores methods, manners or affiliations.
Sorry I was assuming good faith, I assumed everyone wanted what was best for the network on technical merit alone. If you irrationally want to just avoid having anything to do with a bunch of people, due to your personal hatred of them, then that is different. (By the way, you do not pay the Core team who have been delivering excellent scalability improvements, like the recent c7x speed improvement on signature verification).

I thought one of the great things about Bitcoin is that even if we hate each other, we can still have consensus on one chain. If you do not want to be part of it, feel free to leave and not use the system, I kindly ask that you do not call your new system Bitcoin, as that may create confusion.
[doublepost=1464855177][/doublepost]
This is a very revealing quote that we should take into consideration. This is basically the self-aggrandizing way of saying "because it's not our idea".
It has nothing to do with whose idea anything was. Satoshi himself has an idea of increasing the limit.
[doublepost=1464855223][/doublepost]
let's say there is some sort of quantum computing breakthrough and something bad really does need to be changed quickly. For a the cheap price of 6% of the hashing power you can now hold the entire network to ransom. (51% attack for the price of 6%)
For example, the signature scheme can be changed with a softfork (this is actually happoening right now). See what I mean when I say a minority being able to block a hardfork is not likely to be a large problem? If the Classic/XT attackers continue blocking a blocksize increase, so be it, SegWit is already a way around the attack.

freetrader

Staff member
Dec 16, 2015
@jonny1000 : Your "software changes" table seems a little dogmatic (ventures into classifying things as attacks when it should be neutrally describing how changes occur) and in one particular case, factually incorrect to my reading. I would appreciate if you could link to the source instead of just posting it here as if it were established fact.

Can you point me to a definition of what is an "economically relevant" node?
Because the table alleges that hard forks require strong consensus among these.
I do hope you at least know what it is talking about exactly.

will cause a chain split and therefore a destruction in the economic value of the system
How do you square such Nostradamus-like predictions with the statement a few sentences on that "a hardfork has never occurred in the history of the network"?

That's basically saying "I'm going to make some assertions here, but be advised that I don't know what I'm talking about."

Last edited:

Zangelbert Bingledack

Aug 29, 2015
@jonny1000 good summary of what I thought your view was, and the tables also help.

Also the way you put the strategic considerations makes more sense now: people of your view are rallying around the status quo and some are even censoring forums in order to protect against what you see as an attack, until that attack goes away.

You should probably take note that it's never going away. There may be proposals you like better, like Classic with 95% threshold, but I still don't see why you think no one else is free to offer those. It's like you think we're rallying around Gavin or something. It doesn't make any sense to me in the end, because anyone can fork the code, and every conceivable proposal can be offered and downloaded by anyone. How does it matter that a group of people calling themselves "Bitcoin Classic devs" have offered something you don't like? Just change it. Or hire some anonymous person to change it and follow them. Circling the wagons seems about as effective as sticking your head in the sand.

EDIT: I see you probably think the solution is to just soft fork everything. Then it moves the question down to @Roger_Murdock's objection, discussed below.
The whole point of Bitcoin is for the participants to agree on one chain, unfortunately in order to do that, we need to agree on the rules for block validity.
So here is where I think you may be confusing something: "the participants"* need to agree on one chain, yes, and Nakamoto consensus is what does this. "The participants" does NOT mean all current bitcoiners, because the network can fork and split into persistent chains starting with the same ledger state, each with their own set of "the participants" who agree with the other members of that set but disagree with the other set of "the participants." Since the ledger can be copied without any dilution and the two sets of participants can go their separate ways and see whether the market supports one and/or the other, there is no problem. People are free to bet on one chain or the other if they want, otherwise hodlers are unaffected and sound money carries on unscathed.

Bitcoin is a system for ensuring participants who agree on the rules among themselves always converge on a single chain. Bitcoin is NOT a system for ensuring that all current participants with different views on the rules stay in agreement as to "the" valid chain, and there is no reason for it Bitcoin to be this way, as it adds no value.

*a set of people who agree to a certain set of protocol rules governing what everyone now calls the Bitcoin ledger; there could be the Core participants and the Classic participants, for example.

Another way of looking at the confusion is that you are viewing the situation from two different time perspectives and arbitrarily switching between them: in one case you are looking at the ledger before the fork, and in other cases you are looking after the fork when the two ledger-copies have diverged and what counts as "Bitcoin" becomes up to which fork the market supports. Before the fork, as you said, "we need to agree on the rules for block validity," but after the fork there are two we's, so there can be two different sets of rules for block validity. The market determines which set of rules (coupled with its associated ledger-copy) counts as "Bitcoin." It is a subtle process regarding the naming conventions, but once it is done - likely before it even begins, thanks to futures trading - the naming will be clear and no one will remember the disfavored fork.

What do you think of the following objection? Do I have your position right in my response?
This assumes that people are helpless automatons. "I really don't approve of this soft fork, but what can I do? The version of software I'm currently running will automatically recognize it as valid." A successful soft fork just means that a disgruntled minority who doesn't support it has to take affirmative steps if they want to avoid being swept along with it. It doesn't magically strip them of their ability to break away. (In contrast, a disgruntled minority who doesn't want to follow a hard fork can simply sit on their hands and not upgrade.) But this difference just isn't that important. The real forces "keeping the herd together" following a fork attempt (whether soft or hard) are the economic incentives driving convergence on a single chain.
The difference can be important enough. In the 95% consensus view, a softfork can piss off even say 20% of people, as long as no more than 5% are peeved enough to take the extra steps of hard forking away - which is a pretty high threshold since hard forking seems (at least that time, without things like fork arbitrage having been established) like a big deal. For stuff of that level of irritation, people just go, "Damn that's a shame," and move on (or maybe switch to altcoins "for a while" - see Samson Mow's tweet quoted above). Whereas if a similar change were proposed as a hardfork and 20% opposed, they might be dragged along but - in the minds of the people who see "social contract" and status quo as what holds Bitcoin together - this would represent a great risk.

Beyond this I can't really fathom the argument from an investment, PR, and practical standpoint, unless the hardfork into two persistent chains is deemed to be somehow impossible or infeasible for technical reasons (or some perceived PR reasons I'm not seeing). Then the bar is high enough that indeed people usually won't just turn around and answer a soft fork with a hard fork.
Charitably, I take it to mean, "The status quo is the most salient thing (Schelling point) to rally around if we're going to retreat into a tortoise shell." I just don't get how that's particularly effective as a strategy. The "attack" will never end, so they can never leave the shell. (EDIT: They intend to stay in the shell and soft fork everything. Ah, so the whole worldview again shows some superficial coherence. Even if they glimpse some of the forkist viewpoint they cannot hold onto it, because the mutually reinforcing aspects of their own Extreme Consensus view pull them back in.)

Last edited:

lunar

Aug 28, 2015
For example, the signature scheme can be changed with a softfork (this is actually happoening right now). See what I mean when I say a minority being able to block a hardfork is not likely to be a large problem? If the Classic/XT attackers continue blocking a blocksize increase, so be it, SegWit is already a way around the attack.
Textbook, goalpost move. You are effectively arguing that there is no possible scenario where a emergency hard fork would be required.

Furthermore, now apparently it's all those evil classic bunch who want to increase the blocksize that are the ones blocking an increase. #defies_logic. #definitely_trolling.

Zangelbert Bingledack

Aug 29, 2015
@lunar

It's just different worldviews. Consider how similar it is to what an alternative doctor would say to a mainstream doctor: "You're blocking the recovery of our cancer patient with that chemotherapy drug. He'd recover on my protocol if you'd stop poisoning him with that stuff." When a worldview has so many mutually reinforcing doctrinal points, every one of which disagrees with the usual view discussed here, it looks just plain alien. Add to the fact that it seems to contain major holes, and it will look ridiculous to us. All we can do is identify its internal contradictions and bring them to light in a way that is so clear that it cannot be ignored.

That said, that remains the most puzzling aspect of @jonny1000's claims, even if I understand how one could arrive at it. It seems to totally ignore the implications of open source. I mean, hardly anyone who is for Classic supports it "because it is Gavin and Mike's fork." It could be Joe Plumber's fork, and if the community vetted it as safe and effective, we would rally around it all the same. So it's not like it's some kind of rising populist sentiment instigated by the cult of Gavin and Mike; people wanted bigger blocks - even @jonny1000 wants them. Any fork that can be proposed eventually will be, and mostly costlessly, so it simply cannot be seen as an attack.

Last edited:

jonny1000

Nov 11, 2015
51% was not 'chosen' so changes can be made easily, it's naturally selected becasue it's the equilibrium mid point and furthest away from extremism.
If you think 51% of miners can already do a hardfork, what is the point of BU then?

The actual point of BU is to make your 51% claim more true with respect to the blocksize, the fact you put it forward demonstrates that some of you understand this 51% rule currently does not apply to the existing nodes.

awemany

Aug 19, 2015
@Peter R: Greg asserts: "Yep, know where subchains came from? I explained using a lower difficulty blockchain as a pre-consensus to Peter R in the private review of his equilibrium paper."

Is that in any remote sense true?
[doublepost=1464869628][/doublepost]Oh and:

Is he really saying what I think he's saying?!

Erdogan

Aug 30, 2015
I don't know who originally came up with the description of soft fork as

"Addition of a new rule which new blocks must comply with..."

It completely depends how you formulate the rule, doesn't it?

The so called soft forks (of code, that is) rather is a covert change of rules from a minority, that has found a way to exclude existing stakeholders in the decision process, basically cutting them out from the system. You could say they look for bugs in the current rule set, find a hole, and exploit it.