Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.

dlareg

Feb 19, 2016
Mow, Maxwell, Dashjr, Todd, BTCDrac--these are some real class A lowlifes. They seem to attract like kind. It is amazing what levels they will stoop to and I suspect as the momentum continues to grow, we could see even more hostile, dangerous and dramatic behavior. These are the kinds of people that would rather try to implode Bitcoin before admitting they were wrong. Stay vigilant everyone!

sickpig

Aug 28, 2015
@albin
Wow. So he has determined experimentally that real-time tx propagation is 88% of bandwidth usage and block propagation is 12%.

In which case the 2MB is needed immediately! Only another 12%. The flow of new transactions is independent of block-size and magnified if people try to re-submit with RBF in a bidding war for limited block space. Coming soon to a congested network: wallets with automatic RBF incrementing.

Of course what is missing is the data burst factor. The network has a lot of capacity for real-time tx, but block propagation is on the critical path for miners.

I think Maxwell's timeline is clear:
2004 Prove that inflation-controlled digital currency can't work.
2008 Proven wrong by Satoshi
2012 Begins spreading meme to Core Dev about how broken Bitcoin is
2016 Bitcoin finally gets broken and alts like Etherium are rampant
2020 Lightning Network ready to save the burnt-out shell of Bitcoin but Maxwell is proven right after all.
the bold part nailed it.

On a side note I've chimed in the BCT thread asking access to raw data. let's see what we get.

Reactions: AdrianX

freetrader

Staff member
Dec 16, 2015
AMA: Wu Jihan, Adam Back, Samson Mow (Estimated Time: between 11:00am and 12:00am on 2016-2-29 China Standard Time)
http://8btc.com/thread-29594-1-1.html
@agilewalker: Thanks for making us aware of this.

This is a great opportunity to have serious questions to these folks be translated to Chinese in advance and then submitted in front of a Chinese audience.

I've been thinking that we need to use a bounty-based website to have translations and proofreading work for the English <-> Chinese dialogue performed.

Does anyone know of a good site that could help us do this?

e.g. I think the BU Unlimited release notes, good journalism and perhaps even scientific work on Emergent Consensus, Subchains etc. should be translated. I know I'd be prepared to contribute to such bounties.

agilewalker

Feb 23, 2016
It's hard to translate all these technical terms without some context or understanding what they are referring to. It can be literally translated, but probably not make much sense to an average Chinese reader. I don't know who on 8btc.com side will be responsible for all the translation work. And if the translator doesn't have some solid technical background, those exact Chinese words translated back to English would possibly not even make sense to an English reader.

freetrader

Staff member
Dec 16, 2015
@agilewalker: Yep, I agree it's very difficult. It needs people who are involved in the subject matter and can explain concepts. That's even better than professional translators who might not be intimately familiar with this technology.

So I think preference would be given to translators (doesn't have to be pros) who have proven themselves in the past - like yourself and a few others.

Because it's difficult for Westerners to judge the quality of translation to/from Chinese, there needs to be checking and correction again by skilled native speakers.

Reactions: VeritasSapere

agilewalker

Feb 23, 2016
BU Unlimited's related documents and research papers are all fantastic material. But I don't think it's yet ready for majority of 8btc.com audience there with limited technology background. They would rather simply rely on some Bitcoin celebrities for their opinions. That's the part I'm mostly worried about.

Reactions: cypherdoc

dlareg

Feb 19, 2016
Speaking of shadowbans, I wrote a long and detailed reply to Bitcoin Journalist Kyle Torpey on Reddit regarding the horrendous state of Bitcoin journalism, the censorship issue, and a call to action. I originally called him out on his shoddy journalism, and he respectfully took my criticisms so I responded in further detail.

It is my feeling that if the journalists really stepped up their game, they could start to penetrate these issues and hold people publicly accountable. Right now the Bitcoin journalists are nothing more than glorified Redditors getting $300 per post parroting some talking points.

The deafening silence on the censorship issue, all the while complaining about the "angry trolls" seems like utter hypocrisy. This is simple cause and effect at work. Enjoy!

freetrader

Staff member
Dec 16, 2015
@Bagatell: ??? <-- ???

I think it's fair that the major altcoin personalities attend - after all the whole cryptocurrency field only really kicked off after Satoshi's proof-of-concept.

What irks me much more is the private / retreat / no media exclusivity fuss that they have on their website.

Coming around a table is good (as is privacy), but I think it's a little strange to get so many people together and then call it a round table. Why stop at 50-60 people then?
It would be far better to use VR to have a global virtual conference - let everyone come and listen to the views and arguments and make up their own mind. Oh well, maybe in a while...