Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
ok, finally achieved smackdown by resorting to the SW math. the time i've spent studying & understanding SW has paid huge dividends:

rocks

Sep 24, 2015
I had a recent reddit conversation with Adam about that tweet where he said that he has not changed his mind on the 2MB HF, but claimed SF segwit is "safer" & "quicker"
Well both the SW and 2MB options are out in the market now and they can compete for adoption based on user preferences.

What Adam seems to not understand is he can not dictate user preferences or coerce/force them to be what he wants. The market will choose what the market wants the right path to be. If Bitcoin works the way we think it should, no amount of FUD, censorship, VC money, etc can force the market to take a different path, it may delay it but that is all.

sickpig

Aug 28, 2015
No easy fixes.

• Patch the source code to glibc and recompile is the most straightforward (easiest if your Linux distribution is source-based)
  • Disable DNS resolution entirely.
  • Wait for your Linux distribution to provide an update
Debian and ubuntu have already released an updated version of the libc6 package to fix the problem:

/usr/share/doc/libc6/changelog.Debian.gz (Ubuntu 14.04 64bit) said:
eglibc (2.19-0ubuntu6.7) trusty-security; urgency=medium

* SECURITY UPDATE: glibc getaddrinfo stack-based buffer overflow
- debian/patches/any/CVE-2015-7547-pre1.diff: fix memory leak in
resolv/nss_dns/dns-host.c.
- debian/patches/any/CVE-2015-7547-pre2.diff: fix memory leak in
include/resolv.h, resolv/gethnamaddr.c, resolv/nss_dns/dns-canon.c,
resolv/nss_dns/dns-host.c, resolv/nss_dns/dns-network.c,
resolv/res_query.c, resolv/res_send.c.
- debian/patches/any/CVE-2015-7547.diff: fix buffer handling in
resolv/nss_dns/dns-host.c, resolv/res_query.c, resolv/res_send.c.
- CVE-2015-7547
so just apt-get update && apt-get upgrade and you will be safe from this particular security problem.

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
Debian and ubuntu have already released an updated version of the libc6 package to fix the problem:

so just apt-get update && apt-get upgrade and you will be safe from this particular security problem.
Do we need a sudo reboot?

sickpig

Aug 28, 2015
@cypherdoc

not necessary.

just restart your bitcoind and any services exposed to the internet.

sickpig

Aug 28, 2015
it seems that Eligius is still performing validation less (*) mining:

(*) as long as they at least check block version validation less mining is not bad per se.

Richy_T

Dec 27, 2015
Reactions: bluemoon

theZerg

Staff member
Aug 28, 2015
You might remember that we had a bit of a pop in the BTC price when BU became a thing. We were joking about it; I didn't take the possible causality seriously. But now we have another pop for classic... this market wants to rise but is being restrained by worries that Bitcoin will be hamstrung by the Core client.

Inca

Staff member
Aug 28, 2015
@theZerg: i agree.

Anyone else sickened by how artificial the markets are? Last week there were no buyers and suddenly the FTSE is being heavily bought back up to a 6 handle. Transparent action by the central banks who in attempting to reel in this hyper credit cycle have now become the very problem which is preventing makets from fair and true pricing. We have exchanged private banks rigging the markets for central banks doing the same with legal impunity.

Reactions: bluemoon

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
You might remember that we had a bit of a pop in the BTC price when BU became a thing. We were joking about it; I didn't take the possible causality seriously. But now we have another pop for classic... this market wants to rise but is being restrained by worries that Bitcoin will be hamstrung by the Core client.
there's been 3 pops since the bottom. yours, @Peter R's, and now Classic's.

it IS telling.

Reactions: Zarathustra

theZerg

Staff member
Aug 28, 2015
after all my work, I should've grabbed some leverage...

Reactions: cypherdoc