Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
/u/eragmus often goes off the rails logically and emotionally.

Zangelbert Bingledack

Aug 29, 2015
@Mengerian @Roger_Murdock

Regarding our conversation earlier, I think this captures my current view more accurately and in fewer words:

Besides spinoffs, which I didn't mention since it requires careful explanation, one more way the market/investors could check miners over the medium term is to buy mining equipment or invest in mining farms and pools that are in line with their vision.

Reactions: majamalu

Zarathustra

Aug 28, 2015
Slush miners with an overwhelming majority pro Classic.
Shouldn't that be food for thought for the Politbüro@core?
Hopefully not.

lunar

Aug 28, 2015
@Justus Ranvier

Great to see samourai wallet implementing BIP47
Why we’re bringing reusable payment codes to the bitcoin wallet.

I was thinking about this and BU integration. The general idea for the Unlimited project seems to be building a more modular user configurable bitcoin node? Something i'd like to see in this space is a separation of Wallet from Node. Similar to how Armory works.

I'm imagining a home or business Unlimited node where the glossy trusted 'wallet extensions' can be added from an internal menu. Perhaps to have say Samourai, Bitgo, Copay or Multibit as my user facing wallet but use the Unlimited Node as the primary client. I could also add members of staff or family and point or lock their personal or company devices to the trusted company Unlimited Node.

The benefits are obvious, choosing the wallet for the features it provides multisig /stealth addresses/ or business style accounting whatever is required, and freeing up development from a huge area or work.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
Reactions: Norway and Inca

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
probably the first volley from Paul Capestany (sp):

https://www.reddit.com/r/btc/comments/4262y0/center_for_a_stateless_society_under_attack_by/
[doublepost=1453481017,1453480209][/doublepost]Out of all the nations of Earth, African countries stand to benefit the most from financial technology such as bitcoin.

https://diginomics.com/africa-leapfrog-banking-bitcoin/

i still haven't changed my position on this: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5400.msg93981#msg93981

it would be great if @sgornick would give us an update on the situation and his view of the future. he used to be on the ground there.

Reactions: cliff

cliff

Dec 15, 2015
@cypherdoc - totally agree. DRC (Dem Repub Congo) has the greatest chance of growth since they have the smallest/weakest infrastructure currently. Human development index has DRC at the very bottom (second to last IIRC - been a month or so since I've looked) of the list. DRC has about the least amount of internet access in the world (building something on FB's internet.org is key in the short to medium term, IMHO, since they'll be beaming internet into that that location before local infrastructure can really be built. I own a domain named after the second largest DRC city (lubumbashi.net) and plan to make it 100% bitcoin focused (just basic info - including links to this forum). The first step to anything taking off in Africa (and I mean sub-saharan, specifically), though, is electricity. The Economist had a great article on the importance of electrifying Africa, and electricity is a necessary condition for btc unless paperwallets can become a currency. Just as a fun fact, DRC's energy production is almost 100% hydro-electric power. It took me a while to figure out how that worked - but apparently there a large concentration of rivers there. sorry for wall-o-text, you triggered one of my secret interests. :)

Aquent

Aug 19, 2015
Wooohooo, thanks for voting me in as Secretary guys. I'll try to do my best to foster a community spirit and promote Bitcoin Unlimited and the ideas it embodies which are desperately needed for bitcoin in these testing times.

Justus Ranvier

Aug 28, 2015
@lunar The idea of separating node code from wallet code is a very good idea.

You're going to have a hard time of achieving that if you're starting point is a Bitcoin Core fork, as that code base was never designed that way.

If Bitcoin Unlimited was based on btcd, then you'd already have that separation.

Another reason BIP-47 would be difficult to add to Bitcoin Unlimited's wallet code, is that Bitcoin Core still isn't HD, and that's a prerequisite.

Reactions: majamalu and lunar

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
probably the first volley from Paul Capestany (sp):

https://www.reddit.com/r/btc/comments/4262y0/center_for_a_stateless_society_under_attack_by/
[doublepost=1453481017,1453480209][/doublepost]Out of all the nations of Earth, African countries stand to benefit the most from financial technology such as bitcoin.

https://diginomics.com/africa-leapfrog-banking-bitcoin/

i still haven't changed my position on this: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5400.msg93981#msg93981

it would be great if @sgornick would give us an update on the situation and his view of the future. he used to be on the ground there.
the decentralization that comes with folding Africa into Bitcoin would solidify it's position on the world stage of currency. there's no more greater revolutionary than the small little African kid who will do anything for money and a better life. hint: he doesn't care to run a full node. he just need to transact cheaply, reliably, and efficiently. he'll just hook up with the village maintained full node. current Bitcoin pseudonmymity would be enough. and if we could stop him from having to climb down 3ft wide holes 100 yds deep to pull up specks of metal in deference to Bitcoin, gold would then have to plummet in price to low hundreds while BTC would skyrocket to multiples of thousands in dollar terms.

core dev and small blockists are elitists disguised as cypherpunks. i had a long #debate on the Classic channel with dummy @bitcoin09 who's been trolling that channel for weeks. you should see him talk down to @depesh, clearly an avg Indian (probably poor). that guy typifies the elitist attitude we're getting from those guys that they know better than we do with the familiar disdain of "free shit army". f*ck those guys; i'm probably more dollar wealthy than any of them yet i see the importance of sharing this great tech. and mostly for selfish reasons; i want my coin to skyrocket. which it will if we can instead bring in the "free shit army" level of demand that is critical to decentralizing Bitcoin and ensuring it's security worldwide. we have to allow Bitcoin to tuck itself into every little nook and cranny of the world where it can hide and do it's thing when necessary away from oppressive gvts.

it's all so obvious.
[doublepost=1453483387][/doublepost]
Wooohooo, thanks for voting me in as Secretary guys. I'll try to do my best to foster a community spirit and promote Bitcoin Unlimited and the ideas it embodies which are desperately needed for bitcoin in these testing times.
congrats! i voted for you.

just keep hammering the Classic channel and Reddit like you're doing :)

Last edited:

Justus Ranvier

Aug 28, 2015
Of the existing Bitcoin Core developers and prominent fans, which ones are most likely to go black hat if they lose and everybody starts running other implementations?

cliff

Dec 15, 2015
@Justus Ranvier We would need to know which ones are not already blackhats to have a chance at answering that question - and we might not be able to determine that if they're any good at blackhatting. The Todd theory is totally wild and interesting - it would account for his rampant aggression in that he, if Satoshi or part of the Satoshi, has been acting to save his project (if true, I probably wouldn't consider it blackhat work).

rocks

Sep 24, 2015
@lunar The idea of separating node code from wallet code is a very good idea.

You're going to have a hard time of achieving that if you're starting point is a Bitcoin Core fork, as that code base was never designed that way.

If Bitcoin Unlimited was based on btcd, then you'd already have that separation.

Another reason BIP-47 would be difficult to add to Bitcoin Unlimited's wallet code, is that Bitcoin Core still isn't HD, and that's a prerequisite.
What about SPV light-weight wallets such as Mycelium, don't they already separate wallet code from node code in a sense? They are not a full node and do not validate blocks, instead my understanding is they simply are a client that connects to several full nodes as servers and request the data they require from the servers. I could imagine wallets such are Armory eventually running as an SPV client that connects to a trusted full node server in the cloud (possibly as a service for a fee).

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
Armory already offers a full node like server. can't remember what they call it; something like Supernode.

@Justus Ranvier ?

lunar

Aug 28, 2015
@theZerg
Admittedly it's long term thinking (after the next hard fork) but, Is this something that you've ever considered? Optional, plug-in HD wallet extensions seem like a huge advance.