Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.

theZerg

Staff member
Aug 28, 2015
It was my understanding that BU as an organization wanted a broader perspective.

This is in my opinion ridicilous. The CHIP states that as a last-defense effort - the entire value of the process is the ability to build and foster concensus across the diverse set of market actors - the very same actors that I had understood that BU wanted its guidance from.
Upon what data does the CHIP base its assertion that this is a "last-defense effort"? Its based on hopium, like many other statements.

You have to separate that which is informative from that which is normative in any spec or process. In this case, the CHIP outlines a good process to communicate with other participants in the community (in the milestones section). But there is no specified way to exit that section with success or failure. It only states "is sufficiently evaluated (1), did not raise major controversies (2) or inadequacies (3), and have received sufficient support (4), by this date there should be more than one full node team that implements the change (5)." (I added the numbers)

1,2,3, and 4 are matters of opinion. Its also unclear in 2 or 3 whether one person can claim these to block the process. Who determines their validity. Also 4 could be clearly defined but it is not.

5 is the only unambiguous exit statement.

Now, if that state is exited with success, we have a minimum of 2+ nodes with implementations and N without. Perhaps some of those N invoke clauses 1,2,3 and 4, but the other 2+ nodes do not accept those concerns as valid. Now we are heading right to a hard fork split and the CHIP specifies no resolution. At an absolute minimum it ought to state something like "any full node with a minimum of X deployments or wallet with a minimum of Y deployments can invoke 1,2,3,4 to block the feature, even if implemented in multiple other full nodes and activate the dispute resolution process described below."

Above I went through specifics. To make a meta-analysis, you need to abstract those specifics over many feature flows, and you'll find the reason why I think that the "last-defense effort" might be invoked a lot more often than is assumed by the CHIP doc. Doing this extracts the structure of the workflow. In essence, there are many criteria for non-success, that seem to be able to be ambiguously activated by a minority or even just 1 of the undefined participants in the CHIP. Its not even clear how or whether you have a seat at the table, other than full nodes. What a full node is isn't even defined so I suppose if your code can sync the blockchain from the GB you are in?

Whatever you think about BUIP166, please take my CHIP experience as constructive feedback hard earned proposing Group Tokenizations. Ambiguity in this process meant that we had to eliminate many features to try to satisfy everyone. To the point where I'm not satisfied because I want those features!

This is exacerbated by the context of a careful, stable coin: if you can't prove or convince every person of a feature's future value, its out in their opinion. There's no "well, I see your use case but I don't think it will be popular, but since you are doing the lion's share of the work, go ahead".

To explain this in a specific context, we have non-BU people working with and dealing with SLP's problems on a daily basis who asked me to re-propose Groupt Tokens and last I checked remain in support of Group Tokenization as a way to add miner validation to SLP. And we have a full node developer (TomZ) who does not use SLP, but decided that SLP was fine as is and so rejected the Group Tokens proposal. AFAIK TomZ is aware of the testimonials of the people working with SLP. He thinks that if we provide better SLP infrastructure, the problems will go away. No modification of Group features can change that opinion... and we have emergent_reasons who's also against it and nobody knows his ability to invoke any of these CHIP clauses, and there's no way to determine that. This is quite a social maze to navigate.

So based on the CHIP process, this exits the "milestones" process. So that would put us right into "dispute resolution", AKA hash war.
Post automatically merged:

This is false on both counts, and I'd appreciate it if you stuck to the actual facts about the CHIP process, Andrew.

Here is what the Dispute section actually says, and you will note that it gives no such ultimate authority to BCHN at all.
Ok, perhaps I summarized. Let me rephrase.

The CHIP process explicitly gives a non-binding dispute resolution authority to the hash-power majority, which is BCHN and it then rejects its own authority so the real authority devolves back to the hash power majority node, BCHN.

From the CHIP:
"Gain a sustained supporting signaling from over 75% of the BCH hashpower for at least six weeks, via coinbase transactions."

It also offers 2 other avenues to achieve "dispute resolution", without actually bothering to specify which one would win if they conflict. So, oops. But that doesn't much matter because it rejects its own authority by saying:

"It should be noted that this dispute resolution process still cannot, in the strictest sense, coerce any given node team into implementing any change."

It could instead say something like:

"We (the undersigned) hold the BCH name and other properties in trust and commit to ensuring that the chain that these properties reference will contain any feature that meets any of these dispute resolution criteria, unless that feature is proven to have security flaws, in which case we will deliver an equivalent feature. If the undersigned builds full node software or wallets, they commit to providing the feature within a year of successful "dispute resolution" and the existence of a reference implementation (whichever comes last). If the undersigned provides an exchange, they commit to calling the chain that provides these features "BCH", in the case of a fork where one side does not offer the feature."

---

Regardless, doesn't BU or another development team activating all this make no sense for all participants involved?

The dev team needs to prove that the feature is worth the investment of time and money to shepard it through the CHIP process.

The BCH dev community wants assurance that the feature isn't a waste of their time.

The BCH users don't want a bunch of cruft in the blockchain.

The argument that we ought to prove a feature's usefulness before deployment is a strong one. So rather than panic as we go off and do that, let us go off and do that.

Last edited:

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
the BU movement was born in this thread and it looks like it could die in this thread. or not. welcome home.

Zarathustra

Aug 28, 2015
If you click deeper, you can see the vote breakdown so far. Its very interesting.

So far, everyone involved in the day-to-day efforts in BU development and management is FOR this.

The againsts are led by the anonymous leader of the competitive BCHN full node, and another anonymous user with commit privileges to the BCHN repository. Hmm... does this remind you of any recent history?
A crushing defeat is looming for Anonymous ...

bitsko

Aug 31, 2015
Coingeek conference is on

> CSW tried to compromise. He tried agreements. The other forks are dishonorable.

BCH is permissionless. If it has something to honor, it is a social contract as "p2p electronic cash" with its users.

BSV is a no-longer-open source project, any business with a brain can figure that out, if not immediately (hint: the special license), then over time, or when they get hit by copyright or patent trolling lawsuits.

FTFY
Looks nauseating; like Richard Stallman level wankery.

do you hate houseplants by chance freetrader?

AdrianX

Aug 28, 2015
bitco.in
Some BSV developers are going off the deep end and I don't think they're attracting the Communist target market they're appealing to. (not that some BCH totalitarianists are much better)

Bitcoin, also known to some as BSV, is a value exchange protocol technology that enables money in the form of digital cash that is peer to peer, avoiding the need for a trusted third party.

Wealth is a goal and the reason we work and exchange value, riches or, to be rich, means to have abundant wealth. That's the ultimate proof of altruism. Being rich as a result of voluntary exchange is proof of giving more than you've taken provided you're not resorting to fraud.

To get rich in a free market, in a fair and just way, is proof of altruism, It's proof you have given more to society than you have taken.

There is a lot of corruption in our existing value exchange network that's the cause of poverty, suffering, the destruction of our natural environment and the squandering of our natural capital.

The only application I value as a user to date is the one that supports the premise outlined in the White Paper Bitcoin: A Peer-to-Peer Electronic Cash System.

Other blockchain applications have little to no demonstrated value, but they sound interesting and deserve exploring.

Last edited:

bitsko

Aug 31, 2015
"Bitcoin SV is not about getting rich. Bitcoin SV is an infrastructure for supporting applications that are valued by their users." - otaci

imo...

"the former is a predicate for the implementation of the latter.
Isn't the reason people want to make things easier for others is that they will be rewarded themselves in the process?"

"The economic basis of the incentive structure, the limited supply, the issuance, all of these things evince a design that intended the value of the token to increase and continue to increase."

bitsko

Aug 31, 2015
the reason this doesn't work in bsv's favor and was thus there is a narrative that rejects it after the fact, is that bsv is an altruistic venture proposing a feature set while playing the consensus game described in the whitepaper on the BTC network.

• Wow
Reactions: xhiggy and AdrianX

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
you really aren't going to be able to stop this shit: "Eruptive Mining" (my new meme 😄). good on Bukele. he knows how to follow up:

Last edited:
Reactions: bitsko and AdrianX

Zarathustra

Aug 28, 2015
Imaginary dev resignation.

AdrianX

Aug 28, 2015
bitco.in
If Nayib Bukele is going to subsidize "mining with very cheap energy" he should find a way to have that subsidy benefit his economy. I liked Venezuela's idea of a state-sponsored pool, where they collect a tax, aka a mining fee when you mine with their subsidized electricity.

There are so many options for state-sponsored mining, the cool thing is it's competitive. The USA could be entering soon after they've developed a chip founder, and once they've developed their "volcanos" or solar energy harnessing so they can join in the fun.

Last edited:
Reactions: torusJKL and bitsko

cbeast

Sep 15, 2015
"Bitcoin SV is not about getting rich. Bitcoin SV is an infrastructure for supporting applications that are valued by their users." - otaci

imo...

"the former is a predicate for the implementation of the latter.
Isn't the reason people want to make things easier for others is that they will be rewarded themselves in the process?"

"The economic basis of the incentive structure, the limited supply, the issuance, all of these things evince a design that intended the value of the token to increase and continue to increase."
As opposed to number go up because store of value, which is tautological.

Reactions: bitsko

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
If Nayib Bukele is going to subsidize "mining with very cheap energy" he should find a way to have that subsidy benefit his economy. I liked Venezuela's idea of a state-sponsored pool, where they collect a tax, aka a mining fee when you mine with their subsidized electricity.

There are so many options for state-sponsored mining, the cool thing is it's competitive. The USA could be entering soon after they've developed a chip founder, and once they've developed their "volcanos" or solar energy harnessing so they can join in the fun.
competitive State-sponsored mining away from China (decentralization) has been a long standing economic concept predicted many years ago in this thread. there's no fear to be had from China's bouts of psychosis on this matter. but i do remember vividly the Core FUD around this as another form of a dreaded "51% attack".

Zarathustra

Aug 28, 2015
competitive State-sponsored mining away from China (decentralization) has been a long standing economic concept predicted many years ago in this thread. there's no fear to be had from China's bouts of psychosis on this matter. but i do remember vividly the Core FUD around this as another form of a dreaded "51% attack".
... and the project of the selfish mining genius is 75% down from ATH.

Reactions: sgbett

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015

BldSwtTrs

Sep 10, 2015
Let's say I want to open a blog where I write uncensorable articles, what procedure should I follow?

Looking at Twetch, I suppose this doable on BSV. But is there a way for non technical individuals to start such a blog/start writing articles on the blockchain, without having to code something?

AdrianX

Aug 28, 2015
bitco.in
@BldSwtTrs you're a little early, I can't remember the name of 2 platforms I've seen, but neither was remotely consumer ready with a UI or a front end that would hold an ADHD reader's attention, (i donated to one of the projects to help it along as I had the same desire as you.) www.read.cash doesn't check the uncensorable boxes, but a project like that with a BitTorrent type back end is what I'm looking for where the user who likes or comments on an article pays a fee and gets a hashed record history of the article state where all records and changes are stored in a database of using cash that's shared, with the benefit of being assessable offline.

I think the best solution is to publish on more desirable platforms like medium or WordPress and keep your content backed up on your own hosted WordPress site which is backed up regularly, then after another 10 years, someone in BSV or crypto may have figured out the user requirements and some entrepreneur may have designed something usable but, I'm not holding my breath while civilization goes to shit.

Last edited:

bitsko

Aug 31, 2015
BU as an organisation is much more durable than BCH, despite all the money being thrown at BCH.

The story of BCH is one of successive failures and recursive forking and I’m happy to see BU crawl out from under that rock even if its only to serve BCH’s interests by proxy.

BCH is near meaningless in terms of its goal to realize peer to peer cash for the world. Being plugged into ETH wont really change that, perhaps some fleeting interest on the way down.

BCH would be a better fit as a paul storzc sidechain on BTC. The morals and values of the project are similar, with one (BCH) being willing to allow greater throughput maybe.

The lesser chain woes would be eliminated; all the troubles in dealing with wither and intermittent, bursty block production would be gone.

merge-mining bch allows for a simplification of the mining game as well. no more altruism needed. much more cost effective.

Same licence anyways right?

good, trusty licensing, copyright satoshi nakamoto

I would argue that the only thing anyone in BU or BCH has to oppose such an arrangement is their pride.

A merge-mined BTC sidechain plugged into ETH would be good shit

Just being another eth proxy in a world of eth proxies doesn't seem good enough.

smartbch doesnt seem good enough to save bch.

the developers behind BU will likely still be around long after the BCH experiment has concluded, at which point they can decide to develop specialized node software for the BSV ecosystem, or continue to build on projects which satisfy their political desires but are unlikely to realize peer to peer cash for the world.

Unless they continue to quit and exit, its amazing how much braindrain since 2017 has occured; its quite possible even more members get frustrated and quit as they slowly realize the accumulation of bad decisions has put large-block-with-black-flag bitcoin in an unrecoverable position

It's not that BSV needs BU, people are welcome to have untenable political views that hold them back from being effective, it's that BU has long been an ineffective project and nothing is going to change that except its members changing their approach.

buying into zapatista level consensus processes in a multi node ecosystem is a massive encumbrance; this is an inefficiency in a landscape that is unforgiving and highly competitive. It may feel good ideologically but that is irrelevant to whether or not such a heavy political process can compete with the others

Last edited:

bitsko

Aug 31, 2015

BSV cannot reach critical mass if CSW doesnt cut the bullshit.

Few credible individuals can assess the technology behind the veil of fraud.

Only after that shit is settled does BSV have an opportunity to be considered by most.

CSW has to stop decieving the world lest the project remain irrelevant and its merits unassessable.

there is no bsv standing on its merits alone if the majority of people whom the technology would depend on for bootstrapping cannot even consider the merits thereof, which is the situation csw has placed his fork in, with all the bullshit.

and if the bullshit stops and he is satoshi, he cant control the subsequent pamp with the new digital lubricant narrative

of course if the bullshit stops and hes a scronty then lmao there is no protocol that can stop that dump

its nauseating how much he proclaims hes satoshi after using a pubkey to supposedly sign a sartre message.
the information available to the public all points to scam, his fault it appears that way, quite literally holding his forks adoption back

Last edited: