Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
this bears watching. pending INflation? 3y weekly:

Reactions: bitsko

Griffith

Jun 5, 2017
@Griffith it looks like you did not read @torusJKL 's post thoroughly. you assume he does not know what he is talking about. i suggest it is time for you to review your ongoing assumption that anyone who sees promise in BSV is either malignant, retarded, or both. it does not reflect well upon you.
No. i said this correctly. Even if only BU implements the change, it does not affect the security of 0 conf transactions.

That's hard to believe.

Let's assume 10% of the hashrate is using BU with a unconfirmed parent number > 25.
All the others only accept 25 unconfirmed parents.

You make 25 transactions.
100% of the hash rate will accept them.
You make the 26th transaction.
Only 10% will accept it.

Won't you be able to push a different transaction to the other 90% once a new block is found and the 25 transactions are confirmed?
Only 10% of the network would reject it as double spend.
its not that only 10% will accept it. it is that the other 90% will actively throw it away. if an attacker relays a different tx 26 right here, it is still rejected by the 90% because the limit is 25 and there is no change.

As soon as the first 25 are mined, the 10% that still have tx 26 push it to the rest of the 90% again. this time the 90% will accept it.
if an attacker pushes a different transaction for number 26 to the 90% nodes right as the new block is mined, this is no different than if they pushed 2 different tx from the start. same race conditions. no change.

Griffith

Jun 5, 2017
Only that in the regular case the race happens withing seconds where in the above scenario the attacker has 10 minutes.
It is the same.
lets say you push 25txs that are the same, and then 26 and 26p are differing transactions.
for the nodes that are not BU. they will not validate 26 or 26p once they realise it is past the 25 ancestor limit. it will not go into the mempool. it will not go into the orphan pool. it will be entirely discarded as if they never received it.

the BU nodes will have the normal race condition for the fist few seconds.

AFTER the next block is mined. 26 and 26p (which are now 1 and 1p since all ancestors are in a previous block) will be rebroadcast to the non BU nodes that initially threw them away. the same couple second race condition will ensue.

if instead, you wait to broadcast 26p right as that next block is mined, you still end up with a couple second race condition because the non BU nodes threw away 26 earlier and are now just receiving it.

If you still think the attacker has 10 minutes after that explanation, can you try to elaborate on why? Maybe i am not understanding where you think this extra 10 minutes is coming from.

torusJKL

Nov 30, 2016
If you still think the attacker has 10 minutes after that explanation, can you try to elaborate on why? Maybe i am not understanding where you think this extra 10 minutes is coming from.
He has 10 minutes where the tx has already been accepted by 10% of the network.
A node that has a connection to this 10% would also get the tx in its mempool (e.g. it could show up in a block explorer).

And after 10 minutes there is no guarantee that the 10% will immediately broadcast the old tx which could give the attacker more than enough time to send the double spend to the other 90% of the network without any danger of a race with the original tx.

Reactions: Norway

Griffith

Jun 5, 2017
He has 10 minutes where the tx has already been accepted by 10% of the network.
A node that has a connection to this 10% would also get the tx in its mempool (e.g. it could show up in a block explorer).

And after 10 minutes there is no guarantee that the 10% will immediately broadcast the old tx which could give the attacker more than enough time to send the double spend to the other 90% of the network without any danger of a race with the original tx.
Oh, i see. BU nodes forward txs when the nodes have become acceptable by the peer, not when they are accepted by the BU node. If the peer does not provide custom params for acceptance, the network defaults are used. As soon as a new block is mined, txs in chains that are longer than the default are relayed to peers immediately.
There is an explanation on this here: https://medium.com/ @g.andrew.stone/quasi-consensus-and-the-unconfirmed-transaction-chain-limit-22e74e33421d

had to add a space in that url because i was having issues pasting it into this comment

torusJKL

Nov 30, 2016
As soon as a new block is mined, txs in chains that are longer than the default are relayed to peers immediately.
That's a great mitigation.

Anyways, it might behave very similar but it is not the same.

I'm not here to attack BU.
This all started by me pointing out that others attacked BU.
That's what was in the heart of my message.

I think we have wasted enough time on this.

Reactions: Norway

79b79aa8

Sep 22, 2015
is it possible that after the IFP abomination and the DAA debacle miners will continue to use ABC node software, similar to how the market continues to price BCH higher than BSV despite trailing in all objective metrics?

it certainly is possible, despite ABC cracking internally and BCH devs being entirely fed up with séchet's incompetent reign.

but let's see you shine, BCH! the dark night is passing, miners will act, collaborative devs will unite, a stable protocol will coalesce, an economy will rise, P2P cash for the world is around the corner, the only thing to fear is fear itself!

bitsko

Aug 31, 2015

I forget who it was in BU or flowbee that came up with the Op-code idea, but I did think that the reasons for the inclusion amounted to political maneuvering.

unfortunate dudes like @Wecx preaching the merits of the opcode for months on end, it was clear then as it is now. too bad for that crock of shit narrative and op_unimportant
Post automatically merged:

fuck off amaury too late

https://imgur. com/ba41lIQ

Last edited:

79b79aa8

Sep 22, 2015
. . . and yet the urge to keep tooling with the protocol will not stop:

except when a protocol change proposed by someone else brakes an app you happen to be building, then the solution is to push for a ban of just that type of change:

@Jonathan Silverblood this way exhaustion lies.

torusJKL

Nov 30, 2016
Grasberg is no more.

[...] Bitcoin ABC will be implementing the aserti3–2d (ASERT) algorithm proposed by Jonathan Toomin and Mark Lundeberg and supported by a number of Bitcoin Cash full node implementations.
But

The second improvement is the addition of a new Coinbase Rule.
[...]
The Coinbase Rule improvement is as follows: All newly mined blocks must contain an output assigning 8% of the newly mined coins to a specified address.
Post automatically merged:

I guess the IFP is now only 8% instead of the previous 12.5% because all the other node implementations have fallen out of grace and will not get anything anymore.