Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.

torusJKL

Nov 30, 2016
I never said anything about sponsoring anything. I never made a statement about BU only doing full node client stuff because we dont.
The quote to which you used to answered also included the following.
Why would he resign from BU should he decide to leave BCH.
Since when is is BU and all it's members married to the BCH chain?
I was under the impression your answer is a response to both and my point is that nobody needs to leave BU based on which full node client BU is developing or not.

Griffith

Jun 5, 2017
@torusJKL ah. i see. my mistake. sorry about that.

I was specifically talking about a full node that supports BSV. None of the current developers are willing to support it right now. There is also nothing that forces developers to work on anything specific, which means without finding some developers to support BSV in a full node client there is no point in discussing if it should be done until there is some big change that might change peoples minds.

I wouldn't be hesistant to extend that statement to including funding development of protocols/applications that are BSV specific at this time. Mostly because it seems the majority of BU (as shown through voting) would be against allocating funds for something of that nature.

Reactions: torusJKL

torusJKL

Nov 30, 2016
Yes, we can't force the developers and based on the current member alignment I also don't see a BSV specific project get accepted in a vote.

But that could change in the future.
And maybe we can find projects that benefit both camps.

cbeast

Sep 15, 2015
Has nChain or any of their employees asked for help on this forum? Are any BU devs working with them directly on code restoration?

freetrader

Staff member
Dec 16, 2015
[doublepost=1558695441][/doublepost]An update on the dynamic blocksize simulator effort.
The specification has taken shape sufficiently and coding has begun.
Hopefully some interesting results out of this once it is finished and usable.

https://www.reddit.com/r/btc/comments/bs6e8k/adjustable_blocksize_algorithm_reqs_for_simulator/

In the meantime, scaling work on the Bitcoin Cash clients is proceeding - I'm hugely looking forward to Bitcoin Unlimited's next results from the Gigablock testnet.

Reactions: solex

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
that's just u/imuname once again displaying his emphasis on personalities.

Zarathustra

Aug 28, 2015
@Norway I am disappointed to see this childish name-calling by you. Its a bad as when Amaury and Shammah voted in BU clearly against their own initiatives.

You are better than this. So be better.
@theZerg
I am disappointed to see that you did not vote for @Norway against that subterranean attempt to ban him. You are better than this. So be better.

Reactions: Norway

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
this part is bullshit and I don't trust it. my concern is that nchain essentially is trying to patent Bitcoin via this "open source BSV license", a non sequitur in my book . they expect everybody with our help to adopt their source code with all its slight nchain modifications to force the price/value up to extraordinary highs, then potentially put everyone under threat of a lawsuit if we have to hard fork away because of some rogue move from nchain, like stealing coins from old addresses. if this wasn't a possibility, they'd have left it with its MIT licensing and forced their patents to stand on their own merit . the difference also being MIT is a non profit and has a track record of supporting true open source along with its hard forks while nchain is a for profit who's leader has shown no hesitation in bringing lawsuits:

"The new client version will also change the license for BSV software from the MIT license (historically used for Bitcoin client software) to an “Open BSV license.” This still provides free usage but limits rights to use the node implementation source code exclusively to the BSV blockchain."
anyone else note what appears to be a change stimulated by our debate on this? note the plural, blockchain"s":

"The Software, and any software that is derived from the Software or parts thereof, can only be used on the Bitcoin SV blockchains. The Bitcoin SV blockchains are defined, for purposes of this license, as the Bitcoin blockchain containing block height #556767 with the hash “000000000000000001d956714215d96ffc00e0afda4cd0a96c96f8d802b1662b” and the test blockchains that are supported by the un-modified Software."

https://bitcoinassociation.net/open-bsv-license/

https://github.com/bitcoin-sv/bitcoin-sv/blob/master/LICENSE

rocks

Sep 24, 2015
Interesting change to the BSV license after v0.2.0 came out, a plural form was used.

ubuntu@ip-172-31-75-136:~/git/bitcoin-sv$ git diff v0.2.0 master
diff --git a/LICENSE b/LICENSE
index dfac90db5..6573cf166 100644
--- a/LICENSE
+++ b/LICENSE
@@ -11,9 +11,10 @@ furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:
1 - The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in
all copies or substantial portions of the Software.
2 - The Software, and any software that is derived from the Software or parts thereof,
-can only be used on the Bitcoin SV blockchain. The Bitcoin SV blockchain is defined,
+can only be used on the Bitcoin SV blockchains. The Bitcoin SV blockchains are defined,
for purposes of this license, as the Bitcoin blockchain containing block height #556767
-with this hash: 000000000000000001d956714215d96ffc00e0afda4cd0a96c96f8d802b1662b.
+with the hash "000000000000000001d956714215d96ffc00e0afda4cd0a96c96f8d802b1662b" and
+the test blockchains that are supported by the un-modified Software.
THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR
IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY,
ubuntu@ip-172-31-75-136:~/git/bitcoin-sv$
[doublepost=1558757681][/doublepost]@cypherdoc, you beat me by 2 minutes... We need something better to do on the weekend apparently.

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
this part should be changed additionally like :

"The Bitcoin SV blockchains are defined,
for purposes of this license, as the Bitcoin blockchain's' containing block height #556767
-with this hash: 000000000000000001d956714215d96ffc00e0afda4cd0a96c96f8d802b1662b.

freetrader

Staff member
Dec 16, 2015
Which businesses asked for a change of license to the Bitcoin software?

Here's the deal:
  • Changes to the protocol: businesses can still invest to keep up by making suitable changes to stay compatible
  • Changes to the license: businesses now face possible exclusion by vendor and legal risk if what they're doing *might* contravene said license

Legal bills are so high that businesses must have a very good reason to accept license instability over protocol instability.

If I wanted to drive business away from my chain, I could think of no better way than to twiddle with the license making it non-open source and changing terms once in a while.

Last edited:
Reactions: Richy_T

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
@cypherdoc, you beat me by 2 minutes... We need something better to do on the weekend apparently.
I'm still traveling :)

this just proves that Craig, Calvin, and Jimmy are watching this thread. that's ok, it's a good thing, something I've suspected for quite a while now. their talking points match almost exactly many of the things I've said and others have said here. as it should be; the big block and BU movements and "original vision" mantra started here and most of us are OG's and active.

for me its about contingency planning that can be defended legally . not that I ever think that nchain or CSW would pull a rogue soft fork move on concensus rules; there's just no logical reason for them to take that chance. however i, and most of you here, have been surprised at how financially conflicted devs can be, so imo, the BSV community has to be prepared and have the option to hard fork away from the nchain github as an emergency measure. just in case.

--> get that last 's' tacked onto that last "blockchain" and I'll be full on BSV support ;)

Richy_T

Dec 27, 2015
"The Software, and any software that is derived from the Software or parts thereof, can only be used on the Bitcoin SV blockchains. The Bitcoin SV blockchains are defined, for purposes of this license, as the Bitcoin blockchain containing block height #556767 with the hash “000000000000000001d956714215d96ffc00e0afda4cd0a96c96f8d802b1662b” and the test blockchains that are supported by the un-modified Software."
I dunno. It seems to be expanded to include the test blockchains but not really to accommodate a split. It actually seems more murky to my eyes.

as the Bitcoin blockchain containing block height #556767 with the hash ...
Perhaps you should ask them directly.

Reactions: Otaci

Otaci

Jul 26, 2017
"The Bitcoin SV blockchains are defined, for purposes of this license, as the Bitcoin blockchain containing block height #556767 with the hash “000000000000000001d956714215d96ffc00e0afda4cd0a96c96f8d802b1662b” and the test blockchains that are supported by the un-modified Software."
The plural form of the first occurrence of the word blockchain refers to multiple blockchains, which are defined in the continuation of the sentence. The second occurrence of the word blockchain refers to the mainnet blockchain, being the first of the blockchains that are covered by the license. The "test blockchains" refers to testnet, regtest, and stn, those being the other blockchains that are covered by the license.
[doublepost=1558806518][/doublepost]
I dunno. It seems to be expanded to include the test blockchains but not really to accommodate a split.
Yes. A split after the block specified in the license is covered by the license. In that event, we retain the option to release a new version of the software with an updated license, but that would not impact the license for previous versions.

EDIT: changed "existing version" into "previous versions".

[doublepost=1558806594][/doublepost]I am reluctant to comment any more on this because I am not a lawyer. If you want an expert opinion, consult a lawyer.

Last edited: