Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.

molecular

Aug 31, 2015
@79b79aa8: My loss is limited. It was only the drivechain. It became a sidechain for a moment, though. I heard that's the purpose of drivechains.

:D
Better to have the chain off-bike than the bike off-chain, I guess.

Makes me wonder about the feasability of a bicycle-registry (they all have frame numbers) on-chain. Would make it easy for people to trade bikes and for the owner to prove ownership towards the cops. Bicycle theft is a real problem in many regions and dependable ownership tracking that actually works and is being used is part of the solution.
Too bad people can neither remember passwords nor safekeep backups, so I guess we need to solve that problem first, before we can expect widespread use of such a system.

_bc

Mar 17, 2017
cypherdoc said:
Two separate tx's successful
Were they biggish?

Maybe the hordes will come for the memo, but stay for the gains-in-value, ease-of-payments etc.

Eventually, memos might get priced-out. In the mean time, I could imagine it contributing to: spreading the word, investor excitement, news hype, price increases, block-size increases (demonstrating BCH works).

Tomothy

Mar 14, 2016
Yes it is. My job has been to do this, plus being webmaster of two sites, plus community manager, plus lead dev, plus specs, plus negotiate with exchanges, miner and alike, plus, plus plus. We have close to zero funding to hire people to do it, and as far as the community goes, we have a lot of words of support, but not much actual work done.
What would help make things better? Is it financial resources? People to do the above on a volunteer or part time basis, should they be paid? I'm just wondering because I'm intimately familiar with how the day to day can destroy operations. Like, Board's want to do vision/planning work, not out tabling/pamphleting/canvasing, but you still need someone to order supplies and line up the gigs. All include very different roles. I don't necessarily have an answer, I just see more and more community involvement lately (i.e., bitbox, memocash, etc).

Reactions: majamalu

AdrianX

Aug 28, 2015
bitco.in
in other words, you were actually using your chain. gosh, what a concept.
Belt drives, some recommend belt drives as a replacement for the drive chain, it is less efficient but more reliable, it requires less maintenance avoiding the resulting side chain problem.

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
Yes it is. My job has been to do this, plus being webmaster of two sites, plus community manager, plus lead dev, plus specs, plus negotiate with exchanges, miner and alike, plus, plus plus. We have close to zero funding to hire people to do it, and as far as the community goes, we have a lot of words of support, but not much actual work done.
Hmm, I thought there were at least 10-12 of you. anyways, sorry to hear you're so swamped. for what it's worth, i'm overall appreciative of your leadership. from your talks, i get the sense you have the right goals in mind, ie, the monetary aspects of BCH first and foremost. thank you for your efforts and i hope things improve.

yrral86

Sep 4, 2015
Belt drives, some recommend belt drives as a replacement for the drive chain, it is less efficient but more reliable, it requires less maintenance avoiding the resulting side chain problem.
String drives are more efficient and more reliable with less maintenance: http://www.stringbike.com/stringbike_asthemagicworks.html

Hint: check out the "Driving Geometry" section to find out the magic behind the system: an elliptic curve!

Last edited:

jessquit

Feb 24, 2018
@yrral86

String drives are more efficient and more reliable with less maintenance:
when I look at those pulleys and try to imagine what they'll do to the string when they're coated in highly abrasive dirt, I have to question if string drives have actually been thoroughly tested under real world conditions and actually performed more reliably than metal chains.

Cool concept though.

odensepok

Apr 26, 2018
it's also way easier to disrupt third world currencies and their weak gvts. they don't have nearly the vast infrastructure designed around them to protect their financial mkts like the US does. look at Venezuela playing around with petrocurrency along with Slovenia, Argentina, Nigeria, etc. good luck getting the SEC, CFTC, FINRA, etc to give up anytime soon.

like i said, everyone panics on pullbacks like this and takes their eyes off the ball due to impatience. calm down.

Strongly agree! Venezuela will suffer more from El Petro than benefit from it, especially considering the fact that it is developed by Russians just for adopting new measures to avoid sanctions. Who knows, maybe Russian crypto will be developed with the awareness of Venezuelan mistakes

Reactions: freetrader

deadalnix

Sep 18, 2016
What would help make things better? Is it financial resources? People to do the above on a volunteer or part time basis, should they be paid? I'm just wondering because I'm intimately familiar with how the day to day can destroy operations. Like, Board's want to do vision/planning work, not out tabling/pamphleting/canvasing, but you still need someone to order supplies and line up the gigs. All include very different roles. I don't necessarily have an answer, I just see more and more community involvement lately (i.e., bitbox, memocash, etc).
Hi, these are good questions.

There is a lot of work to be done. Some of it is coding, but a lot of it is just communication work. Bitcoin ABC has 2 people who code full time on it, myself and Shay, and several other people participating part time. On addition, there is a ton of extra work. Trying to coordinate various actors so they are ready for a HF for instance.

Sadly, many very important task stay mainly ignored by the community. Take for instance the bitcoincash.org website. Zquestz is mostly maintaining it. He's doing so part time as he has a job. The website clearly isn't on par with what we should expect from the vitrine of a multi billion dollars project, yet he's not getting much help.

Some of these thing could benefit from the community taking some responsibility. We'd all benefit from having better online presence.

Some of that work will need people full time. That can happen either by having companies sponsor people to do it, or by having people like us hire someone to do it, granted we got sufficient funding.

The reality is that this whole thing is pushed forward by way less people than one would expect, and that many of these people are spread very thin and show signs of burn out. So if some seemingly not very complex task doesn't get done, such as setting up the infra to provide signed binaries, that's why. There is just more to do than can get done with the manpower at hand, so some of do not get done.

But I have two good news. First I setup my keybase.io account today (I had one for quite some time thank to @dgnr8 , but it clearly was in need of some love), which will provide a verifiable way for people to know my keys and so I'll be able to sign binaries in the future in a verifiable way. Second, it looks like we have some move on the funding side, but let's not celebrate until it actually happens.

AdrianX

Aug 28, 2015
bitco.in
Money ultimately is a form of communication memo.cash and bitcoin cash are very closely intertwined in that way. Censorship allows one to control how people think and controlling how they think results in control of how and where people directing their wealth.

I attribute the strongly correlated pop to TOKEN2049 and anticipation of the May 15th upgrade.

I'm interested to see how memo.cash evolves I feel it's just a toy for now I'm not sure its a tool that will spawn adoption.

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
@cypherdoc how do you reconcile your overriding focus on blockchain monetary purity with memo.cash and the recent strongly correlated pop?

Secondary uses will drive primaey via increased network effect.
You actually believe there is causation?

Last edited:
Reactions: jessquit

AdrianX

Aug 28, 2015
bitco.in
This video from Pantera CEO says they hold 10% Bitcoin and are effectively gambling on the next big thing. They are about 5-10% short but being a hedge fund plan to go as much as 40% short over the next decade as the market cap goes up 2 orders of magnitude.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/2018-04-26/pantera-s-morehead-says-bitcoin-is-a-screaming-buy-video

I'm more and more bullish on Bitcoin BCH by the day, I get a feeling it is overlooked and dismissed given all the FUD, and I don't buy most of the back stories pushing all these bitcoin competitors (alts).

I love how easy he thinks it is to short Bitcoin (BTC and BCH) just call up a whale and borrow some bitcoin. Love it, I think this ends well for some. (it sucks to be a whale pre August 1 2017 having lent out Bitcoin)