Bitcoin Unlimited - Visual Identity

Aquent

Aug 19, 2015
Thanks for all your feedback guys. Many of your suggestions have been added to the site but are yet to be merged. Trevin has made some changes which manage to make it load up scarily fast ( I asked him to make it slower because people might be too impressed and get a shock or something /jks). I've made some changes to the footer adding r/bitcoin_unlimited and tided up the FAQ to make it look nice as well as slowed down the slider and changed the order of the slides.

Not sure if you guys like the green text headers or want them to go back to gray? I don't mind either way, since subjective, but when testing them next to each other the green one seems bit more visually appealing, but gray is fine too if that's preferred.

I'm thinking of adding a blog section where articles can be written about whatever we want. All are welcome to contribute of course. I'm wondering what you guys think of the idea?

We about to open up slack, for now anyone who wants to join bitcoinunlimited.slack.com send me or trevin a message with your email address and you'll be invited.

As you may know @awemany and @TrevinHofmann have been in the process of designing some cool stuff about automating voting and BUIP so that will be hopefully added soon too.

The members page now contains a lot of you guys so if you want a nice quote next to your nick then feel free to message us.

All this is waiting to be merged, the changes right now aren't huge, mostly backend and cosmetic front end, but if you have any feedback then feel free to let us know in this thread.

Reactions: Peter Tschipper
@Aquent and I now have access to the server for http://www.bitcoinunlimited.info/, so we will be able to deploy changes more quickly now. I've deployed our recent changes to the site. They were mostly architectural changes, but there are a few visible improvements and fixes.

Hopefully we can continue improving the visual identity of the site :)

Peter R

Aug 28, 2015
I just went to send a link to @theZerg's "empty block" paper to someone, and then noticed that the link is broken. Could we get this fixed?

Also, why are the links to our resources changing? There are literally hundreds of links to Andrew and my papers that are now broken. For example, my subchains paper used to be here:

http://www.bitcoinunlimited.info/downloads/subchains.pdf

But now it is here:

http://www.bitcoinunlimited.info/resources/subchains.pdf

The second-to-the-top hit when you Google "bitcoin subchains" is now broken:

and the link to the PDF paper in the top-hit is broken too.

Last edited:
@Peter R

Thank you for the report! The website was quite disorganized, with papers hosted under /public/downloads/*, /downloads/*, or both, with inconsistent links from within the site. These papers were all linked from the 'Resources' tab, but stored with the BU binaries which were served under /downloads/*.

While trying to bring some organization to the site, I somehow completely forgot about the problem of dead links. This is a serious problem, but nothing that cannot be quickly fixed. I'm working on a fix right now and will deploy it shortly. :)

Reactions: Peter R

Peter R

Aug 28, 2015
@TrevinHofmann

Thank you for doing this so quickly! The links to the subchains paper are now working for me. I am feeling much better now that I know the links can be "unbroken" :)

Two notes:

1. The fee market paper appears to be redirecting to "/resorces/feemarket.pdf" rather than "/resources/feemarket.pdf" (missing 'u').

2. If I click on the link the the "1-txn" paper on the homepage, I still get an error.

Reactions: AdrianX
Thank you for doing this so quickly! The links to the subchains paper are now working for me. I am feeling much better now that I know the links can be "unbroken":)
No problem!

1. The fee market paper appears to be redirecting to "/resorces/feemarket.pdf" rather than "/resources/feemarket.pdf" (missing 'u').
Fixed: https://github.com/BitcoinUnlimited/BitcoinUnlimitedWeb/pull/25/files

2. If I click on the link the the "1-txn" paper on the homepage, I still get an error.
Working on this now...

Reactions: AdrianX and Peter R

theZerg

Staff member
Aug 28, 2015
great thanks for preserving these links Trevin... its pretty important as they are all over the web.

AdrianX

Aug 28, 2015
bitco.in
@Peter R the images created by @Graphics are derived from vector based format that's best suitable for SVG.

The images I create are binary while they can be used in conjunction with SVG files they're not ideal.

On the topic of the Bitcoin Unlimited visual identify it's my opinion that consist is more important than design.

The images you referenced aren't the ones I created, so it should be much easier for @Graphics to export it in the desired format.

If you need help I'm always available.

Feel free to ping me through other channels if I'm late to reply here

Reactions: Peter R

Peter R

Aug 28, 2015
Thanks @Graphics and @AdrianX!

One problem: I just heard back from Scaling Bitcoin organizers and was about to send off the SVG file, but when I open it in Safari, Chrome or Firefox, the font for "release the potential" is wrong. Any ideas? Perhaps I don't have the right font on my Mac? I thought I should ask before I send this off.

AdrianX

Aug 28, 2015
bitco.in
@Peter R yes "release the potential" is still text in the .ai or SVG file it needs to be converted to paths.

I don't have the correct font but it's attention to details like this that are important for consistency.
if @Graphics isn't available to help you can send me the files you have and I'll try match the font.

ps if you have it as a PDF the font could be imbibed in the file and I can attempt to use it.
[doublepost=1471369061][/doublepost]ps. I just opened up the SVG above and the "release the potential" text defaults to Arial on my system.

AdrianX

Aug 28, 2015
bitco.in

Peter R

Aug 28, 2015
@Graphics:

Any chance I could get an updated SVG or AI logo for Bitcoin Unlimited (see above re. problem with fonts)? I need to have our logo submitted by the 9th so that it's included in the posters in Milan.

cc: @AdrianX