Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.

Justus Ranvier

Aug 28, 2015
If I were designing a bitcoin wallet suitable for an exchange that wanted to be able to safely trade between forks, here's how I would do it:

The fork in this example is a simple block size limit increase with no other consensus rule changes.

The fork creates not two, but three categories of bitcoins:

• Pre-fork a.k.a undifferentiated coins
  • Large block coins
  • Small block coins
Large block coins are any utxos who history includes at least one generation output on the large block chain.

Small block coins are any utxos whose history includes at least one generation output on the small block chain after the large block chain has diverged.

Undifferentiated coins are all other utxos.

In order to all the small block and large block coins to be detected, I'd modify the indexing code of the node to track the "most recent origin" for every utxo consisting of the chain height and block hash of the most recent generation output ancestor.

The existing currency symbol the exchange has assigned to Bitcoin would be interpreted as undifferentiated coins. New currency symbols would be created for large block coins and small block coins. No balances would be converted automatically.

Withdrawals of undifferentiated coins are initially broadcast on both chains.

After the exchange has received a deposit of large block coins (small block coins), it then becomes possible to start trading that currency and to allow users to request a withdrawal of their undifferentiated balances as that type of coins. This is accomplished by using the large block coins (small block coins) as inputs to the withdrawal transaction.

If a user wants to internally convert their balance from undifferentiated coins to large or small block coins, they'd be allowed to do so but this would require the exchange to perform an internal on-chain transaction to create the appropriately differentiated utxos.

Throughout the entire process, deposits are credited as the appropriate type based on whether or not they are differentiated.

A bit of attention to detail reveals this talk of a "replay attack" to be nonsense - it only looks like an attack because of the exchanges aren't handling the fork correctly. Reality is more complex than "everybody automatically doubles their coins after a fork".

PS: as far as I know the strategy I described doesn't work in Ethereum because their ledger tracks net balances rather than atomic outputs.

go1111111

From the BTC forks thread: "Developers, miners, investors and nodes should all have equal influence in the system"

I agree that the quote is really bad, as if developers and miners should have as much power as investors. In a magical ideal system, miners and developers would have no decision making power. They'd function more like contractors hired by investors/users.

IMO the main idea to convey the pro-fork philosophy is that the free choices of investors and users is the best governance mechanism, and no one other than investors/users should try to interfere with these choices.

adamstgbit

Mar 13, 2016
From the BTC forks thread: "Developers, miners, investors and nodes should all have equal influence in the system"

I agree that the quote is really bad, as if developers and miners should have as much power as investors. In a magical ideal system, miners and developers would have no decision making power. They'd function more like contractors hired by investors/users.

IMO the main idea to convey the pro-fork philosophy is that the free choices of investors and users is the best governance mechanism, and no one other than investors/users should try to interfere with these choices.
i think we are moving towards that...

at first there was 1 dev making ALL the decisions about everything.
fast forward to today, and we have a few groups of devs all implementing different solutions.

users/miners now must make a choice, and the devs are kinda powerless, each group of devs simply provides a option then wait and see if users adopt their solution of the other devs solution.

i think we'll see more and more groups of devs, this will give users more and more choices, thereby make individual groups of devs powerless.

Nat-go

Apr 2, 2016
Hamburg, Germany

To give investors/users the total power sounds like "shareholder value" in stock markets. Iinvestors/users don´t think in the long run quite often. Developers and miners have first hand experience that is possible with the software/hardware in use. And how software/hardware can be improved without risking the ship.

Nat-go

Apr 2, 2016
Hamburg, Germany
That´s up with this post at news.bitcoin.com?

https://news.bitcoin.com/bitcoin-unlimited-formal-us-registration/
‘Bitcoin Unlimited’ Reveals $500k Donation, Formal US Registration
By William Suberg -
August 20, 2016

The article provides a link to this forum:
"The news was released to members via a post today"

But i only get an error if i follow the link:
Bitcoin Forum - Error
The requested conversation could not be found.

Reactions: bluemoon and lunar

lunar

Aug 28, 2015
Quite surprised how quickly that news got out - 12hrs old? The private thread (Unlimited members) that article links to, is hidden unless you have an invite. Id' repost here but best wait for @solex to do the honours.

Great news though, and can confirm the source. Many thanks mystery donors.
More great stuff in the pipeline.

theZerg

Staff member
Aug 28, 2015
Yes the article is mostly correct. Last time I checked the address it had 430k... this money will be spent in accordance with the BU articles so members you have a responsibility to consider how it might best be used.

Since the articles explicitly mention the intention to become a formal nonprofit I do not think that decision needs a BUIP.

solex

Staff member
Aug 22, 2015
Yes. Exciting times ahead for BU.

We wanted the membership to know first. Due to the limit on the number of people in a conversation it was sent to those who have provided signing keys for voting.
The news was leaked, however the article that resulted was IMHO well-written and pretty accurate except rounding up the amount somewhat for dramatic effect :)

Just to clarify one point. We have no connection with the OnChain Scaling Conferences - Encore Edition which is a separate initiative, and we wish them all the best for a successful event.

Once the BU officers have agreed specific plans we will be making much more detailed announcements, and things which require membership approval will have BUIPs prepared so that they can be amended and voted upon.

Last edited:

Peter R

Aug 28, 2015
Congratulations everyone! Time to open a bottle of champagne!

Bitcoin Unlimited was an organic grass-roots effort to help restore Bitcoin to Satoshi's original vision as peer-to-peer electronic cash.

Without sponsorship or corporate backing, we spontaneously organized over Reddit, and later here at bitco.in, delivering the first Bitcoin client that put control over the evolution of the network back where it belongs: in the hands of its users (e.g., with the adjustable block size limit via BUIP001's "emergence consensus" method).

Our success with Xtreme Thin Blocks (Xthin)--fixing a long-standing inefficiency in Bitcoin Core that limited the network's transactional capacity--proved to the world that our small, focussed research & development team can produce best-in-the-world scaling solutions, as well as communicate the benefits of those solutions to the wider Bitcoin community.

This recent donation is external validation that we are on the right track and that our contributions are valued. I am very excited about the future in store for Bitcoin Unlimited, made possible by the commitment of our members and developers, and furthered by this generous anonymous donation.

Norway

Sep 29, 2015
Well, this site is 1 year old now. Happy birthday assholes!

And BU is getting funds!

Great!

I love when I read what people like @Gavin Andresen and @Peter R are writing. I love code from @Peter Tschipper @theZerg and others.

To many people here, it's obvious that the core repository has been highjacked by banks (or whatever finance interests).

It will not stand!
Enough!
Let's fuck them!
Set BITCOIN free!

satoshis_sockpuppet

Feb 22, 2016
I'm not very informed about dark net markets etc., any of you guys have an idea if the Monero hype in this area has any substance?

Monero was the only altcoin that was ever said to be "interesting" by some (very Bitcoin maximalist) people, who introduced me to Bitcoin. No idea if it's true, but I read, that it's privacy features make it much harder to scale?