Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.

Peter R

Aug 28, 2015

Here the Chief Technology Officer of Blockstream/Core implies that it is not a requirement that an electronic cash system facilitate online payments. It has become blatantly obvious that they want to cripple Bitcoin so that their payment systems are required in order to use it.

satoshis_sockpuppet

Feb 22, 2016
lol the blockstream master propagandist can't get the story straight.

Market cap for a supposed pure store of value isn't interesting, suddenly transaction rate is the interesting factor.

Hmhm.

@Zangelbert Bingledack doesn't just have the best nick here, he is also absolutely right. No bullshit is moronic enough to not be good enough to be a "debate point" for further stalling.

Fork this.

AdrianX

Aug 28, 2015
bitco.in

Here the Chief Technology Officer of Blockstream/Core implies that it is not a requirement that an electronic cash system facilitate online payments. It has become blatantly obvious that they want to cripple Bitcoin so that their payment systems are required in order to use it.
The Lightening Network is more like PayPal 2.0 than bitcoin could ever be. It's like the Chief Technology Officer of BS/Core wants to limit bitcoin P2P cash payment and turn Bitcoin into PayPal 2.0. His supporters hero worship and accuse those who would like to keep the bitcoin transaction limit above the demand of trying to convert bitcoin into PayPal 2.0. oh the irony.

AdrianX

Aug 28, 2015
bitco.in
Segwit is proposed as a way to reduce UTXO bloat by discounting signature data making it "relatively" cheaper to combine inputs.

It's only a "relative" discount, if we had segwit with the 1MB limit and the same demand today, it would have a negative impact on UTXO bloat. Many outputs would be unspendable, and there would be a higher cost to combine multiple dust inputs that if we had a transaction limit set above the demand for transactions.

BU would make it cheaper to reduce the UTXO size than Segwit could while bitcoin has a block limit reducing on chain capacity. BU provides an absolute discount that would be greater than the segwit's relative discount.

awemany

Aug 19, 2015
@jbreher: The best way forward when deciding between bullshit and sanity isn't some kind of middle ground.

I am (somewhat) ok with SegWit with a clear path forward on open-ended on-chain scaling.

However that OK changed from a 'well, it might have good parts' to 'Meh, rather really not' for the following reasons:

- I own some (negligible in the grand scheme of things) hash power now, making me directly feel the miner incentives, and further underlining the reasons below:

- SegWit with the trade-off clearly intends to incentivize off-chain over on-chain scaling. If I am mining, why do I want to accept such a potentially very disruptive change to my income structure? And as a holder, similarly why do I want to accept such a drastic departure in Bitcoin's tried and true operation mode, keeping in mind that paid miners secure my holdings? A depature from what worked very well in the past? I am very conservative when it comes to something I have a stake in and that was clearly on a successful track. Bigger blocks worked well. The arguments against reasonable increases all fell apart by now (and most didn't even make it to the point of further consideration, being shown to be absurd quite early).

The "technical" parts of SegWit are likely not the ones that negatively (potentially very much so) impact Bitcoin. Though one is in a quagmire even trying to separate the technical from the political here - it now became all political.

To further explain: I have heard these two 'talking points' from LN proponents:

a) SegWit will allow multi-hop off-chain.
b) SegWit will allow cross-chain settlements.

a) is actually right in the LN whitepaper. I dislike it because it cuts into miner fees and might allow the demonetization of Bitcoin, not unlike the demonetization of gold by paper money. We should not repeat history. Bitcoin as-is does allow payment channels. Even multi-hop. But it sets a certain trade-off in the counterparty risk/miner-income/chain health space.

People are trying to change this balance with SegWit, without the extreme caution and consideration that should go into it!

Yet Gavin's tests were never enough to please the 'bigger blocks needs lots of science' crowd of bullshitters.

And also, if b) is true (which I am still seeking evidence for), this is also directly and negatively impacting Bitcoin. Bitcoin would become one currency among many propping up our new paper money (LN). Very dangerous. A BitDollar and a BitEuro will likely be next to a BitCoin, all being usurped in the LN-electronic-fiat front that is then sold to the public. (BitCoin instead of Bitcoin as an expression of how unaware people will be of Bitcoin at that stage...)

Both a) and b) are aspects of a 'rippleization' scenario for Bitcoin.

If this scenario comes to be, I'd say that TPTB successfully abolished paper currency and even enlisted the support of clueless, maybe even (partly) well-meaning nerds (suckers for shiny new stuff (ether, LN) that they are) for this coup against the rest of the people.

[By the way, yes, I also see centralized Ethereum with unclear and centrally-decided incentive and mining structure as the other prong of the at least two-pronged approach (the other being attempted corruption through SegWit) by which folks like to get the Bitcoin genie back into the bottle. Vitalik is certainly a smart guy, but the way he's propped up to be a messiah makes me wary on that front as well - as still someone (seems to be rare now) who doesn't own any alts.]

And finally, the insistence with which SegWit is pushed (while ignoring all of the above concerns!) makes me very wary of this beast.

Surely, if it is so harmless, we'd all be welcoming it by our own rational analysis? Why does this beast need propaganda to be pushed through? Why this montrosity with its complexity instead of the approach(es) @Justus Ranvier and @Tomas van der Wansem argue for to 'fix' malleability.

Do not like. Do not want. Not right now. This needs a lot more consideration in a calm and sane environment.

awemany

Aug 19, 2015
FYI block space storage is just coincidental, by 2020 Seagate will ship more GBs in storage than there are grans of sand on earth. Segwit's biggest selling feature is removing the signature data to minimize storage space the trade off - security.

Admittedly, I didn't see the video. But I guess you mean "Seagate will shop more bits in storage than there are grains of sand on earth?"

Because then the calculation actually starts to make sense, as astonishing as it sounds. This source estimates the number of sand grains on earth to be on the order of 10^19. Assuming that is a roughly correct guesstimate:

A TByte is ~ 10^13 bits. If Seagate ships (10^19 / 10^13) = a million 1TB HDDs a year (which I expect they likely exceed by 1-2 orders of magnitude) - they ship more bits than grains of sand on earth, even today!

Amazing, if you think about it.
[doublepost=1497173415][/doublepost]@Dusty: Yes, I guess we're collectively waiting for some miner's feet to become cold enough. Their mining rigs seem to still keep them warm and cozy, though.

BldSwtTrs

Sep 10, 2015
Interesting interview of Trace Mayer about BIP 148

The scenario he is pushing is that since transactions on the legacy chain can "disappear" if the BIP 148 chain overtakes it - even 6 months down the line - that it would be irresponsible for Bitcoin businesses not to follow BIP 148.

He advises users to switch to wallets supporting BIP 148 "just to be safe".

It seems crazy to me, since I think that BIP 148 is _vastly_ riskier than following the longest chain. And it seems extremely unlikely that a minority chain would overtake the majority chain 6 months after a chain split.

It's strange, because some of his other advice is actually reasonable. For instance, advising that people should keep control of their own private keys, and pay attention to what their wallet software is doing.

It's like seeing the world through a crazy kaleidoscope. Some of the little bits of his message make sense on their own, but when you try to connect the whole picture logically, it just doesn't make sense.
Trace Meyer was a huge disapointment to me. Before the scaling debate he was one of smartest person I heard in the Bitcoin space, always bringing original and deep insights.

Then, once the scaling debate appears he started to align himself with the small blockers and mix bullshit with his otherwise bright thoughts.

Lately, with UASF and BIP148 stuff, he starts to really go full retard. He is now indistinguisable from a moron.

From that I conclude he somehow has huge financial interest in Small Blocks and now BIP148. I don't know how, but I am pretty sure the fellow has millions of $ at stake on one outcome of this crisis.

Last edited:

flipperfish

Aug 28, 2015
I'm a long time lurker here, however I break my lurking now, because I'm a bit worried about the rising market cap of ethereum and bitcoin's inabilty to move forward. (Yeah, I know, my username is very ironic regarding "The Flippening"...)

To me it seems, the Segwit2x proposal currently has the least resistance from any side. So this might be the most probable outcome. I don't like Segwit, because of the technical debt it introduces. However, I wonder, if it's really that bad: If I understood the BIP correctly, the receiver decides, if he wants to accept a segwit transaction or not by creating an address with segwit enabled or not. Now, if Segwit is really a technical debt, that might be not so well maintained in the future, there should be little incentive to actually create a Segwit address and receive Segwit tainted coins. The only reason might be transaction fees. However, these are directly paid by the sender. A receiving merchant might care more about the security of his coins, than the fees his customers have to pay. This probably depends on the situation of the merchant. I guess for high volume transactions, like buying a car or a house, the security of the coins might be more important, than the fee. In the end, Segwit will probably mainly be used for "paying a cup of coffee", exactly the thing small blockers don't like.

Now, if the 2mb hard fork goes through, this sets a precedent for hard forking to a bigger block size, if needed. I hope, that this will cause the resistance for going to 4mb in the future to be much lower. If Segwit is not used as broadly as small blockers would like, the need for 4mb might come quite soon. Also, with the activation of Segwit, the discussion about EC is far from over, but small blockers have lost two important contra arguments: "Hardforks are dangerous" and "Segwit solves all problems".

The only thing of Segwit, that's left in that scenario is the Segwit taint on some coins. I guess it's possible to receive coins from a Segwit address on a non-Segwit address. Once the coins are back in a non-Segwit address, the whole Segwit processing magic does only apply for validating past blocks, but not for the UTXO. IMO, this restores much of the security of the "simplicity", that was lost in the Segwit part of the coin's life.

TL;DR: What if Segwit activates, but no one uses it? What is different about coins with a "Segwit Background"?

AdrianX

Aug 28, 2015
bitco.in
@jbreher: The best way forward when deciding between bullshit and sanity isn't some kind of middle ground.

I am (somewhat) ok with SegWit with a clear path forward on open-ended on-chain scaling.

However that OK changed from a 'well, it might have good parts' to 'Meh, rather really not' for the following reasons:

- I own some (negligible in the grand scheme of things) hash power now, making me directly feel the miner incentives, and further underlining the reasons below:

- SegWit with the trade-off clearly intends to incentivize off-chain over on-chain scaling. If I am mining, why do I want to accept such a potentially very disruptive change to my income structure? And as a holder, similarly why do I want to accept such a drastic departure in Bitcoin's tried and true operation mode, keeping in mind that paid miners secure my holdings? A depature from what worked very well in the past? I am very conservative when it comes to something I have a stake in and that was clearly on a successful track. Bigger blocks worked well. The arguments against reasonable increases all fell apart by now (and most didn't even make it to the point of further consideration, being shown to be absurd quite early).

The "technical" parts of SegWit are likely not the ones that negatively (potentially very much so) impact Bitcoin. Though one is in a quagmire even trying to separate the technical from the political here - it now became all political.

To further explain: I have heard these two 'talking points' from LN proponents:

a) SegWit will allow multi-hop off-chain.
b) SegWit will allow cross-chain settlements.

a) is actually right in the LN whitepaper. I dislike it because it cuts into miner fees and might allow the demonetization of Bitcoin, not unlike the demonetization of gold by paper money. We should not repeat history. Bitcoin as-is does allow payment channels. Even multi-hop. But it sets a certain trade-off in the counterparty risk/miner-income/chain health space.

People are trying to change this balance with SegWit, without the extreme caution and consideration that should go into it!

Yet Gavin's tests were never enough to please the 'bigger blocks needs lots of science' crowd of bullshitters.

And also, if b) is true (which I am still seeking evidence for), this is also directly and negatively impacting Bitcoin. Bitcoin would become one currency among many propping up our new paper money (LN). Very dangerous. A BitDollar and a BitEuro will likely be next to a BitCoin, all being usurped in the LN-electronic-fiat front that is then sold to the public. (BitCoin instead of Bitcoin as an expression of how unaware people will be of Bitcoin at that stage...)

Both a) and b) are aspects of a 'rippleization' scenario for Bitcoin.

If this scenario comes to be, I'd say that TPTB successfully abolished paper currency and even enlisted the support of clueless, maybe even (partly) well-meaning nerds (suckers for shiny new stuff (ether, LN) that they are) for this coup against the rest of the people.

[By the way, yes, I also see centralized Ethereum with unclear and centrally-decided incentive and mining structure as the other prong of the at least two-pronged approach (the other being attempted corruption through SegWit) by which folks like to get the Bitcoin genie back into the bottle. Vitalik is certainly a smart guy, but the way he's propped up to be a messiah makes me wary on that front as well - as still someone (seems to be rare now) who doesn't own any alts.]

And finally, the insistence with which SegWit is pushed (while ignoring all of the above concerns!) makes me very wary of this beast.

Surely, if it is so harmless, we'd all be welcoming it by our own rational analysis? Why does this beast need propaganda to be pushed through? Why this montrosity with its complexity instead of the approach(es) @Justus Ranvier and @Tomas van der Wansem argue for to 'fix' malleability.

Do not like. Do not want. Not right now. This needs a lot more consideration in a calm and sane environment.
This is my favorite post of the year. :)
[doublepost=1497206642,1497205952][/doublepost]
In the mean time the flippening is quietly advancing :(
Most people are probably going to lose money in the adoption stage of bitcoin.

In the light of the post above by @awemany you can considered the status quo a manipulated play.

The way I see it no one wants to give me loads of wealth. In fact my entire experience is people are more willing to just take it from me if they can.

I've been out smarted many times people have robbed me of millions. Bitcoin is a radical departure from the existing paradigm.

The whole power structure of Society is being redefined.

Bitcoin had a head start as TPTB didn't understand it. That time is over. If we're going to see a $1,000,000 bitcoin and I believe it's a possibility. We're going to have a problem. The power structure of the world will be in chaos.

I can only imagine the lengths TPTB will go to to preserve the existing hegemony. What I see now is a rational approach to the managing of the situation by TPTB.

awemany nailed it above.

Last edited:

Dusty

Mar 14, 2016
From that I conclude he somehow has huge financial interest in Small Blocks and now BIP148. I don't know how, but I am pretty sure the fellow has millions of $ at stake on one outcome of this crisis.
Maybe he has some shares in BS...

New I'm a long time lurker here, however I break my lurking now, because I'm a bit worried about the rising market cap of ethereum and bitcoin's inabilty to move forward. (Yeah, I know, my username is very ironic regarding "The Flippening"...)
This is quite worring indeed: while some months ago thinking of the flippening was ludicrous, it's now acknowledged as almost certain:

Note the number of transactions... Core still believes that "altcoins are irrelevant because all the transactions are only on the Bitcoin network".

VeritasSapere

Nov 16, 2015
You guys are amazing, continuening to fight the good fight. I am happy to announce I will be joining you at the upcoming confrence. :)

I have kept myself busy still working in and researching cryptocurrency full time. Started a cryptocurrency mutual fund, something I have been working on, I can share more details of that here once we go fully public.

Have to admit I am a believer in the flippening, I will continue to fight the good fight in Bitcoin, for the rest of my life I suspect, something like Bitcoin can never die, but it certainly can lose its dominance.

The largest cryptocurrency also has the potential to be the most decentralized and secure. I am foremost a believer in the original vision of Satoshi so if that vision best manifests itself in Bitcoins children then that is where more of my focus will end up being directed. :cool:

Last edited:

Zarathustra

Aug 28, 2015
I'm a long time lurker here, however I break my lurking now, because I'm a bit worried about the rising market cap of ethereum and bitcoin's inabilty to move forward. (Yeah, I know, my username is very ironic regarding "The Flippening"...)
Impressive first post. Congratulations and welcome Flipperfish. The most important part of the agreement is the fact that the economic majority is marching forward without the streamblockers@BSCore. The North Corean BS implementation will die; EC will prosper and the segwit discount can be cancelled with the next HF.

Hei,

yesterday I wrote SegWit simulator to calculate the capacity of Bitcoin after SegWit activation. You find it here
http://js.do/code/156684

Explanation (copied from slack):
As you know, Blockstream started to introduce the "better" formula to calculate capacity with "blockweight". That a bit like you stop using centimeters to calculate height, but use some tricky formula which is not easy to translate in centimeter. In case of SegWit it is this

Blockweight = 4 * Non-SegWit Data + 1 * SegWit Data

Maximal Blockweight is 4 mb

so we don't know what the capacity in blocksize is, and it is not that trivial for non-engineers to translate blockweight in blocksize. I, a non-engineer, spent some hours to calculate the blocksize.

Since SegWit-Data = Signature-Data, there are two important variables to calculate Blocksize from the blockweight-formular:

m = SegWit-Adoption. If SegWit is not adopted, blockweight is simply blocksize
n = share of Signature in transaction space

So with the new, "better" formula, which does not cause technical debth, we need to use two variables to calculate the capacity in mb
What than?
I wanted to find out the "bonus capacity" SegWit provided. According to Core it is "2mb after 2 weeks". So I started to calculate Blockweight for 1mb of capacity

SegWit-Data of 1mb capacity is 1024 * m * n

Non-SegWit Data is 1024 - SegWit-Data

Blockweight of 1mb capacity is Non-SegWit-Data * 4 + SegWit Data

For example, if you have SegWit adoption of 50 percent and a signature share of also 50 percent, Blockweight is (1024*0.5*0.5) + 4(1024 - 1024*0.5*0.5) is 3328

So we can calculate the unused blockweight-space: 4096 - blockweigt. In our example it is: 768

Now the difficult part begin. How can you use this number to know how much data you get in with the formular 4*non-SW-data + 1*sw-data?

In the first attempt I just guesstimated to come close to it.

But that's not satisfying for simulating it. So I started to calculate a "quota": What's the share of SegWit-data in the blockweight? The formula for it is 4*non-SW-data/SW-data + 1

In our exampe: 4*(1024-1024*0.5*0.5)/(1024*0.5*0.5) + 1 = 13

Now we can calculate the amount of SegWit data we can put in the free block space: free blockweight / quota, in our example 768/13 = 59kb

Finally we arrive at the real blocksize-bonus: We divide the extra-sw-data with n, the share of signatures in transactions: 59/0.5 = 118 kb

But that's not all

Since nested SegWit transactions need about 10 percent Extra Space, we need to deduct Blocksize*0.1*m

In our example 1142 * 0.1 * 0.5 = 51.1

So if 50 percent of transactions are SegWit-transactions and signatures fill 50 percent of transaction space, the new blocksize will be 1142-51.1 = 1090,10 kilobyte. This means we have a capacity bonus of 66,9 kilobyte or 6 percent

I didn't expect the result to be that bad

So I assume I made some error somewhere

which is why I want you to give me a feedback on the formulas