Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.

Zangelbert Bingledack

Aug 29, 2015
@Dusty As I understand it, the Lead Dev does have ultimate say in the sense that they can determine which BUIPs are a priority to implement, delaying others essentially endlessly by claiming lack of time. I guess the difference is that the proposals the Lead Dev wants to implement must pass member voting, so endless stalling/vetoing by some members is a possible failure mode.

molecular

Aug 31, 2015

Please let me know if you can make it.
@Norway: I'll be there with 90% probability

I have booked a conference ticket. I'm *really* excited to meet everyone who's coming.Finally a Bitcoin conference I actually *want* to go to.

For accomodation I'm still looking. Maybe someone wants to share a B&B place? I don't fancy hotels much. Will be staying in Arnhem June 28th through July 2nd.

Anyone who wants to share a cozy place, please PM me so I can make suggestions.

AdrianX

Aug 28, 2015
bitco.in
I'm with Gavin (and Linus, etc) with this one: a software project must have a clear leader which has the ultimate say on what gets merged and what not
We have this benevolent dictator model with XT and Classic. I like it but it's not one I can engage with, it works together with BU it creates more diversity. With the BU federation we will still get many of those benefits and we have voting members to add to the mix. (A verification I predict would not have failed where Core and XT failed in governing upgrades.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Norway

Zarathustra

Aug 28, 2015
I don't like Jeff's attitude when he repeatedly talks to the people as if he were Jesus himself ("be good to each other, be good to each other!"). At the same time he speaks not good about we the people in general, as if he stands above those people:

And why the hell should libertarians be good to totalitarians? Even compromise with them?

Mengerian

Staff member
Aug 29, 2015
Interesting interview of Trace Mayer about BIP 148

The scenario he is pushing is that since transactions on the legacy chain can "disappear" if the BIP 148 chain overtakes it - even 6 months down the line - that it would be irresponsible for Bitcoin businesses not to follow BIP 148.

He advises users to switch to wallets supporting BIP 148 "just to be safe".

It seems crazy to me, since I think that BIP 148 is _vastly_ riskier than following the longest chain. And it seems extremely unlikely that a minority chain would overtake the majority chain 6 months after a chain split.

It's strange, because some of his other advice is actually reasonable. For instance, advising that people should keep control of their own private keys, and pay attention to what their wallet software is doing.

It's like seeing the world through a crazy kaleidoscope. Some of the little bits of his message make sense on their own, but when you try to connect the whole picture logically, it just doesn't make sense.

@Norway: I'll be there with 90% probability

I have booked a conference ticket. I'm *really* excited to meet everyone who's coming.Finally a Bitcoin conference I actually *want* to go to.

For accomodation I'm still looking. Maybe someone wants to share a B&B place? I don't fancy hotels much. Will be staying in Arnhem June 28th through July 2nd.

Anyone who wants to share a cozy place, please PM me so I can make suggestions.
that's exactly how I feel. This conference is my highlight for month, and I'm looking forward to meet you all (again).

About hotels: In arnheim 2-3 hotels accept Bitcoin, but I think I'm gonna just look on booking.com ...

Reactions: Norway and majamalu

Norway

Sep 29, 2015
@Christoph Bergmann It's the same with Expedia.no, redirection.
You have to click something on top of the webpage to continue to the US site Expedia.com.
[doublepost=1496694775][/doublepost]But I think it's Hotels only. For plane, use cheapair.com.

Norway

Sep 29, 2015
ALERT BU MEMBERS!
Just two more days to get the 50% discount on the conference "The Future of Bitcoin" in Arnhem.

Contact @solex to get the discount ASAP!​

BU member or not, you should really go to this conference. And make sure you arrive in Arnhem at wednesday 28th of june. Because I organize the lamest VIP event ever to celebrate this very thread:

GOLD COLLAPSING, BITCOIN UP!

Buy your tickets and let me know if you come to this very informal yet historical significant event where it's ok to take a power nap at the table if you are tired from all the travelling.

AdrianX

Aug 28, 2015
bitco.in
In other news, Core developers are promoting their centralized governing body as the official process for proposed bitcoin changes.

What could go wrong when they are no longer able to block malicious actors and TPTB

luke-jr: "Lightning is part of Bitcoin, therefore should be using the BIP process." permissionless innovation . https://github.com/lightningnetwork/lightning-rfc/pull/183#discussion_r119752669

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/6fway3/lukejr_lightning_is_part_of_bitcoin_therefore/