Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.

Justus Ranvier

Aug 28, 2015
Some details that didn't make it into the FAQ yet:

Stash OS is based on Hardened Gentoo Linux, automated via CFEngine.

The full node is btcd and btcwallet, and is configured to access the network exclusively through Tor.

We're porting full BU block size support into btcd.

adamstgbit

Mar 13, 2016
@adamstgbit looking at your example in the cases you turn out to be a disrespectful unsafe uber driver you'll have a bad rating with uber and a bad rating as a Taxi driver that identify is cryptographically links to you but it's relatively anonymous when you look at it next to your othe ratings. That won't affect you behavior rating at mud wrestling bar. But if you you consistently refuse to deliver on ebay that will affect your rating with ebay and online buying and selling.

It's controlled with you at the center. You only issue keys for the pertinent information required to link you and your reputation. People may have more than one identity who known I'd use a separate identity if I had to do business with a drug dealer and wanted a positive reputation.
i'd sign up to that.

i'd make my regular identify profile and my super hero identity profile :whistle:

Reactions: Norway and AdrianX

albin

Nov 8, 2015
Weird thing is that if I'm not remembering incorrectly, that thread is even from before FinCEN's guidance that indicated that they wouldn't go after Bitcoin itself, but rather regulate money service businesses operating in bitcoin. At that time nobody was even really sure if any day now the US gov't itself would try to shut down Bitcoin directly.

cliff

Dec 15, 2015
-------------------------------------
Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP!
BTC $689.92
Gemini Daily $681.595 | 1500 BTC | Total $1,022,392.50 (Thur, 2016-10-27)
GBTC* $100
BTCswap(BFX - FFR) 0.0424% | BTCswap(Polo) 0.0269%
XAU (spot)* $1,268.4
COMEX CG1* $1,269.2
SPDR Gold Trust ETF* $121.19
HashRate 1.87 EH/s
MarketCap $10,967,182,956
BTC Dominance 82.5%
Exchange Volume (BTC) $75.19m
Exchange Volume (ALT) $28.14m
Exchange Volume [BTC] Dominance 72.8%
10YR Treas 1.79%
Copper* $216.55/lb
Crude (WTI)* $49.61/barrel

*Indicates price at market opening

Last edited:

adamstgbit

Mar 13, 2016
@adamstgbit Remember the good old days, when we thought the block size limit problem was going to be resolved in 2013?

https://www.reddit.com/r/btc/comments/59s1ap/the_block_limit_will_be_raised_there_are_just_no/
I remeber... I remember talking about it myself back in the day. I concluded it was a non-issue, given the plan to bump the limit as usages ramped up, and always having the limit a few steps ahead of the curve.

I find it remarkable Core has managed to hold us back for so long.

at this point its almost 2017 and segwit isn't being adopted fast enough ( and with good reason it would seem), Core went down hill when it's lead dev quit, and blockstream took over.

I look forward to the forking off...

I would hope that as part of the fork we include the TX malleability fix ( without physically segregating the witness, simply omitting the witness in TXID calculation ) ,that way Thunder Network ( not LN ) can work.
[doublepost=1477664362,1477663700][/doublepost]i'm looking over what i said in that thread.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=145590.msg1554716#msg1554716

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=145590.msg1554737#msg1554737

clearly my stance on the subject has been fairly constant since forever, "let the free market work itself out", " just because he[the miner]has the space doesn't force him to add free-tx" "greater centralization is inevitable" "network well being > maximum decentralization" "make the max block size really really big so this never happens!"

Last edited:

Richy_T

Dec 27, 2015

So, could this be ported to the current codebase without a soft or a hard fork? Or is there something about segwit that makes it special?

molecular

Aug 31, 2015
slightly offtopic, but interesting.

A post of mine on bitcointalk.org got deleted. content:

-----------
> I'm not american but I hope Trump will make it.

Wont happen. They will falsify the election. If that doesn't work, he'll be killed by some challenged personality or other.
------------

not sure why it got censored

awemany

Aug 19, 2015
Did anyone ever talk to the Debian maintainers of the Bitcoin package?

Debian seems to usually refrain from taking sides too much in open source fork wars, and maybe it would be worth it to have bitcoin-core, bitcoin-unlimited, (...) in the repositories, with a pure dependency package 'bitcoin' pointing to either one?

satoshis_sockpuppet

Feb 22, 2016
Lately the BU guys asked what development they should found, I wondered if it's possible for anyone to implement the SW benefits (apart from the "BS increase") into a hardfork? So malleability fix + no n^2 hashing (has that really been solved by the current SW implementation btw.?) + bigger blocks hard fork?

I have no idea how much work that is and how complex the code will be compared to the current implementation and how much work would be needed for wallets etc. Just an idea.

freetrader

Staff member
Dec 16, 2015
@satoshis_sockpuppet :
no n^2 hashing (has that really been solved by the current SW implementation btw.?)
Only for the non-witness transactions:

"The modified hash only applies to signature operations initiated from witness data, so signature operations from the base block will continue to require lower limits." [1,2,3]

This isn't really emphasized by Core ;-)

Flexible Transactions addresses some transaction malleability (not sure it fixes all). Tom Zander is setting up a testnet for FlexTrans.

Flextrans + a hard fork to bigger blocks + new base block format could probably solve what SW does quite a bit more elegantly, but it's a big chunk of work.

[1] https://bitcoincore.org/en/2016/01/26/segwit-benefits/#linear-scaling-of-sighash-operations
[2] [3] https://github.com/jl2012/bips/blob/sighash/bip-sighash.mediawiki

molecular

Aug 31, 2015
Lately the BU guys asked what development they should found, I wondered if it's possible for anyone to implement the SW benefits (apart from the "BS increase") into a hardfork? So malleability fix + no n^2 hashing (has that really been solved by the current SW implementation btw.?) + bigger blocks hard fork?

I have no idea how much work that is and how complex the code will be compared to the current implementation and how much work would be needed for wallets etc. Just an idea.
I think that's a great idea. It would take more wind out of segwit as SW with economic distortion. Our argument (as I read on reddit) is: segwit is ok as HF without economic incentives. Of course the answer is: "where's your code for that?"

awemany

Aug 19, 2015
I have seen somewhere - can't remember where, I think it might have been part of some joke or so - the idea that in a repeating argument, both sides could just go and number their arguments.

Then the exchanges would go like this: 824! But, 313? No, 2211. Well, 2341.

I feel that's kind of appropriate for /r/btc now..

And entropy reduction method to make reddit more scalable! Yay!1!1! :)

Members online

No members online now.