Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.

Norway

Sep 29, 2015
this will be much less of a problem (because the people we are talking about here are the miners and node operators).
I beg to differ. Future miners and node operators are not necessary monitoring the network and adjusting their settings accordingly. Hopefully, future mining will be more decentralized when ASIC development breaks hard and continue like Moore's law. With a longer shelf life on ASICs, the manufacturers can sell them instead of using them for themselves. However, I think it's safe to assume that the hash power majority of pool operators will configure their settings and uppgrade when needed. But non-mining nodes could become a problem if they are many and left on their own.

a) set their limits to high-enough "fire and forget" values (probably 32MB), and wait until BU solves the next big scaling hurdle (whether it be sharding, subchains, something like NG, etc.)
I certainly do not think 32MB is a fire and forget limit. AFAIK, several hundred MB blocks are possible today with BU. And transaction rate could suddenly grow exponential at some point.

Anyway, it's good to take a close look at the default values and think about future consequences. Most people only upgrade their software because they are forced to do it.

freetrader

Staff member
Dec 16, 2015
I certainly do not think 32MB is a fire and forget limit.
Yes, I meant to imply "for now". Personally I think it could last us a few years, by which time much, much more will be possible and the defaults can be raised again to a much higher level.
Anyway, it's good to take a close look at the default values and think about future consequences.
Agreed!
Most people only upgrade their software because they are forced to do it.
Sure. But if that software runs your "bank at home" or is vital to your business, I think you'll pay some attention or contract that maintenance to reputable service providers who will. Those who don't will fail in a competitive world.
AFAIK, several hundred MB blocks are possible today with BU. And transaction rate could suddenly grow exponential at some point.
I know tests with very large blocks are underway, and I know it's not far out of reach technologically at all (ref. Thomas Zander's article on his scaling measurements).

I also agree that the transaction rate could very well explode, and we should "design for success", like Gavin said, I think.

cliff

Dec 15, 2015
-------------------------------------
Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP!
BTC | XAU (spot) | COMEX CG1
$611.07| $1285.65 | $1290
BTCswap(BFX) | BTCswap(Polo)
0.0428% | 0.0364%
HashRate: 1.80 EH/s
MarketCap: $9,711,501,208
BTC Dominance: 79.5%
Gemini Daily Auction (prev day) 1,663 BTC/$613.00
GBTC | SPDR Gold Trust ETF
$90.25 | $122.73
10YR Treas| Copper | Crude (WTI)
1.60% | $218.7/lb | $48.99/barrel

Justus Ranvier

Aug 28, 2015
Node operation is going to take the same path as mining in that it will gradually become an industrial operation.

Just because a large number of nodes aren't actively maintained now, while the network is still at the proof of concept/toy stage doesn't mean it stays that way forever.

albin

Nov 8, 2015
Those Peter Todd "shakedown" links are fascinating. Regardless of one's opinion of the Blockstream defensive patent scheme, Toddler apparently feels it's appropriate to blackmail people into adopting what he believes their organization should do, in exchange for ceasing to block their BIPs.

This is a step deeper down the corruption hole from the just the garden variety pay-for-play we've seen in core dev ever since Gavin stepped down.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to suspect that this is the real reason for the kerfuffle:

https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/bitcoin-dev/2016-October/013192.html

Last edited:

cliff

Dec 15, 2015
Crazy:
EDIT - Here's a tweet in response to this news that I thought was interesting:

Last edited:
Reactions: majamalu

solex

Staff member
Aug 22, 2015
Last edited:

albin

Nov 8, 2015
@lunar

I hope that diagram becomes a work in progress over time much like one of those cliche crime show whiteboard / corkboard diagrams. There are a couple things that popped out at me right off the bat:

- Bitfinex is a Blockstream investor (per Phil Potter's INSANE INSANE INSANE comments about influence over Core dev somehow resulting in their stolen coins getting special privilege exemption from privacy improvements at the PROTOCOL LEVEL [?!?!?!] it on Whaleclub teamspeak)

- I have some serious reservations about the idea that DCG and Blockchain Capital are neutral and not on the small block side, and it might be fair to call a16z large block instead of neutral, but clearly there is alot of inside baseball going on here at the VC level that the public-at-large is not privy to

cliff

Dec 15, 2015
Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP!
BTC | XAU (spot) | COMEX CG1
$612.44| $1255.38 | $1254.3
BTCswap(BFX) | BTCswap(Polo)
0.0443% | 0.0292%
HashRate: 1.83 EH/s
MarketCap: $9,763,519,772
BTC Dominance: 79.7%
Exchange Volume (BTC): $62.85m
Exchange Volume (ALT): $47.90m
Exchange Volume BTC Dominance: 56.7%
Gemini Daily Auction: 1726.40 BTC @ $611.10 ($1,055,003.04)
GBTC (MrktCap) | SPDR Gold Trust ETF
$87.8 ($122.48M) | $119.65
10YR Treas| Copper | Crude (WTI)
1.69% | $215/lb | $50.31/barrel

Last edited:

xhiggy

Mar 29, 2016
Theoretically would there still be classes of problems where classical algorithms have an edge?

Modern encryption is design to thwart classical computers, so it's likely that we have thought of most of the easy ways to break classical encryption. With quantum encryption/decryption there are likely many paradigms of security we haven't even begun to think about.

Who knows? We could get so into quantum cryptography we accidentally forget classical resistance along the way!

Richy_T

Dec 27, 2015
from reddit :)

"Imagine a world where Austin was always the voice of reason in the company, and just gave up. And now they go 200% more insane, remove transactions from bitcoin altogether."
Great news everybody! Tonal is back on the table.
[doublepost=1475817369][/doublepost]There is a good point is suggesting a dynamic limit but I don't think BIP101 is the way to go. If nothing else, it is associated with a failed (though noble) attempt .

I would suggest more a calculated limit based on historic block data such that blocks could grow organically without triggering any limit and it only affecting perhaps a large burst of spam/DDOS attack. Something like 8x the average of the last 100 blocks or something.

Richy_T

Dec 27, 2015
I don't like the phrase "useful idiots". Many people in such groups are not idiots (and I don't mean those exploiting the phenomenon) and using that phrase allows them to operate in a "that can't be me" mode and avoid examining their role and assumptions.

All of us are susceptible to being mislead to various degrees and it takes a lot of effort and self examination (and frequently a third party who will call you out) to be able to discern when it's happening.
[doublepost=1475817795][/doublepost]Solex, absolutely. I just think it allows comparisons to be drawn that are perhaps not advantageous (even if dishonest): "Bitcoin Unlimited adopts failed block expansion scheme"

Reactions: Norway and awemany

solex

Staff member
Aug 22, 2015
Yep. Probably to much historical baggage with BIP101 to make use of it anymore. Would need to be different as you suggest, based on recent historical blocks. Hmm, the BitPay adaptive is an option...

Reactions: Norway and awemany