Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.

Zangelbert Bingledack

Aug 29, 2015
@jonny1000

I see how you are picturing this now. You imagine that support for Classic might rise to 75% at some point and then get immediately activated the moment support even once rises to this level. So technically at that moment in time 25% would still be opposed (or just not bothering to switch).

One problem you have not addressed:

What could you mean by saying that the opposition will be "locked in"? You'll have a hard time convincing me that people are unable to decide they like Classic after the activation.

It appears Classic just does what we all thought it did: activate whenever at least 75% support is reached ("at least" is warranted, because support may already have been >75% from the start, for all Gavin knew).

By the way, the idea that "we have to go through 750 blocks to get to 751, meaning the 'at least' in the BIP is a typo" is actually incorrect. It's not a typo. It's necessary to include "at least," because if the very first, say, 999 blocks that were able to flag Classic support already contained 800 blocks flagging support, we would have reached 800 out of 1000 without ever going through 750 out of 1000. We would have gone through perhaps 750/900, but not 750/1000. Nevertheless, this may be irrelevant now since we are past that first 1000-block window. EDIT: And actually, real miner support could surge discontinuously in a much shorter time window, even though this can't be fully reflected in the blocks (at most we can get 750/750). So really I think that aspect of your claim completely evaporates under scrunity.

I won't call you a troll for getting this wrong and leading me on a brief wild goose chase, as I realize that is part of argumentation and I'm not going to assume you wouldn't make such an error, since I see why one could easily make it; it's easy to lose track of context when dealing with numbers (not to mention that I might still somehow be wrong in saying you are wrong).

@all

I see no reason whatsoever to think @jonny1000 is trolling. He's merely exhibiting the normal signs of a human, error prone as we all are, surrounded by people who disagree with him on several highly contentious issues. Perhaps not many of you have had the pleasure of solo-posting in hostile territory. Being wrong and not seeing one's own inconsistencies wastes people's time, yes, but that isn't trolling, it's just debating. Pushing for substantiation, misinterpreting people, being unclear, failing to address points made...all that wastes time but isn't trolling. We all do these things, and we'd end up doing them all the more in a 10-against-1 situation. It is rare to find someone who doesn't soon seem annoying when arguing against a position we hold dear; their reasoning flaws and disingenuity are put into sharp relief for us in a way that the same flaws of someone we agree with would usually not be. If @jonny1000 were hurling insults and being highly weasely while making a few substantial attempts at argument I'd still credit him for the effort, yet his behavior has been far above that. Even supposing he was sent by Adam Back (who does argue like a weasel pretty often) to mess with us, it's still good practice and avoids the bubble effect Core suffers from. I have already learned quite a few things about the small blockist and Kore Konsensus mindset :)

(Consider that in Core's turf spelling Core with a K would be used as evidence that I'm trolling, but no one would assume that here. That's the kind of thing I'm talking about. Too easy to have a double standard, forgetting this is home court for us.)

Last edited:

jonny1000

Nov 11, 2015
I see no reason whatsoever to think @jonny1000 is trolling. He's merely exhibiting the normal signs of a human, error prone as we all are, surrounded by people who disagree with him on several highly contentious issues. Perhaps not many of you have had the pleasure of solo-posting in hostile territory. Being wrong and not seeing one's own inconsistencies wastes people's time, yes, but that isn't trolling, it's just debating. Pushing for substantiation, misinterpreting people, being unclear, failing to address points made...all that wastes time but isn't trolling.
Thank you for this. I appreciate what I am saying sounds like trolling to many of you here and that I am ignoring your points without adequate response or contradicting myself. To me it just does not feel like that.

Imagine, if a right wing conservative made posts on a liberal forum, or a left wing Palestinian human rights activist made posts on a far right Zionist forum. There would be accusations of ignoring points and making an incomprehensible argument. This typically leads to all kinds of insults. In my view the reason for this is because these people, on both sides, typically have established a self-reinforcing narrative which is built on layers and layers of assumptions over many years and become more deeply embedded in their minds over time. Their opponents have different layers of assumptions and when they discuss these topics with each other it becomes very difficult to understand each other’s points as the assumptions on how they got there are different.

So how did we build up such a large divide and such different assumptions, given that Bitcoin is only around 7 years old? My theory is as follows:
  • Most of us involved in this debate, became interested in the system in around the June 2010 to the June 2011 price bubble period
  • At that time Bitcoin was pretty useless and had no real function. It is still pretty useless today and has no significant actual uses. The reason we are interested in this topic is because we have an imagination that thinks many years ahead. Part of this imagination is making many speculative assumptions about the future and then layering on more assumptions on top of that
  • It seems many of us went through this kind of process in our head, we all built layers of assumptions on top of assumptions we made.
  • Some of us clearly had made many different assumptions in around 2011 and have then been layering ideas on top of those. This has created a large divide.
For example, I have assumed that eventually blocks would always be full and built many assumptions on top of this idea. The idea of Bitcoin succeeding and always having excess space in blocks and an empty memory pool simply makes no sense to me. It seems completely illogical and nonsense to me. In contrast most of you here have probably assumed there will always be excess space in blocks and have built other ideas on top of this assumption that I am not aware of.

This project was always going to be very difficult. I think we need to be very smart, recognise that this process which I described above has occurred and therefore respect each other and stop assuming bad faith

satoshis_sockpuppet

Feb 22, 2016
Are there any reasonable people here that can explain that Classic does not specify a 1,000 block window and that this claim is false? I keep having to assert these factual points myself.

Classic has a rolling 1,000 block window all the way up until January 2018, if 750 blocks out of any 1,000 period flags support for Classic, it activates. It is therefore a fact that Classic activates when there is exactly 25% opposition.

There then seem to be two group's of people:

1. A group who deny the fact above and falsely claim Classic can activate without this 25% opposition. This is simply 100% false. Perhaps it is not worth my time trying to engage with this group.

2. A second more moderate group, who accept that Classic cannot activate without locking in 25% miner opposition, but who have no problem with it. All I want to get across to you is that the economic majority and miners do have a major problem with this specific point.
"Locking in 25 % opposition", what should that even mean?

Tell me, how do you suppose your strong consensus hard fork should activate? How does strong consensus get measured?

Zarathustra

Aug 28, 2015
(Consider that in Core's turf spelling Core with a K would be used as evidence that I'm trolling, but no one would assume that here. That's the kind of thing I'm talking about. Too easy to have a double standard, forgetting this is home court for us.)
The Kore Gang

The story begins underground. A trio of evil beings- a cyborg weapons collector named Hunter Bunter, a time-obsessed factory head named Tic van Toc and a mad scientist who pleasures himself with others' pain named Dr. Ooond -known collectively as the Krank Brothers are tunneling up from the core of the Earth using a massive drilling machine called the Krank Tank in an effort to take over the whole surface world (starting with New York City). An elderly human scientist they have captured, Dr. Samuelson, begs them not to invade, but his pleas fall upon deaf ears.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Kore_Gang

Zangelbert Bingledack

Aug 29, 2015
The reason we are interested in this topic is because we have an imagination that thinks many years ahead. Part of this imagination is making many speculative assumptions about the future and then layering on more assumptions on top of that
Great point. This actually explains a lot. Many people had built up different assumptions over the years but they never came to the fore until now because there was a devil in the details and it took fame and fortune to bring it out. I just happen to think I built up the right assumptions :)

By the way, I don't imagine blocks being "unfull," just that blocks are as large as they need to be and can be given the constraints, with those blocks of course being "full" by definition. It's probably a misnomer to call Gavin et al's position big blockist, but rather miner/investor-determined blockist, and not unfull blockist but rather full blocks when we are at the real economic/infrastructural limits of the network (when we reach that much volume) rather than an artificial limit placed by a dev team in the absence of any competing teams for the market to choose from (makes it truly central planning).

Another thing I still can't wrap my head around is why you'd hold on to strong consensus even if it destroyed the price. It seems without further clarification that you really do think of Bitcoin as a neat CS project more than as money, which I thought was just one of our (mildly) exaggerated caricatures of Peter Todd and friends.

Last edited:

bluemoon

Jan 15, 2016
@freetrader

LOL, that about sums it up.
[doublepost=1464084130,1464083081][/doublepost]
The idea of Bitcoin succeeding and always having excess space in blocks and an empty memory pool simply makes no sense to me.
Okay, let's strangle it.

stop assuming bad faith
We have leaned over backwards to take you seriously. And all the time you accuse us of malice.

Finally you say, increasing the blocksize is urgent, let's just do it and argue about strong consensus later. Then you immediately revert to your original position. What is that game?

freetrader

Staff member
Dec 16, 2015
<hypothesizing>

If I, or my employer or clients, were heavily invested in Blockstream ...

... I might consider anything that threatens Blockstream - and my investment - "an attack".

If I'm not personally invested in Bitcoin itself, I wouldn't really care much what happens to it in the long term. As long as my immediate interests are able to safely extract some profit (or just walk away without major losses after realizing they made a bad investment) then I'd be fine.

</hypothesizing>

I agree we don't need to assume bad faith at all. It's only rational to ask what financial interests underlie, especially when confronted with professional investors/analysts. Financial ties may explain a large part of human behavior, no matter how irrational it may appear from the outside.

Reminds me of the Iraq war, and the non-sensical '9/11' rhetoric offered as an explanation at the time. Sadly, reasonable people were not able to prevent that.

jonny1000

Nov 11, 2015
"Locking in 25 % opposition", what should that even mean?
I mean it in a literal sense. At the time when Classic nodes irrevocably commit to eliminate the 1MB cap, (i.e. the point of no return) exactly 250 of the last 1,000 blocks opposed Classic. (i.e. it is not possible for the opposition to be 249 blocks or less)
[doublepost=1464087259][/doublepost]
Finally you say, increasing the blocksize is urgent, let's just do it and argue about strong consensus later.
Yes what I meant was, lets do the hardfork to 2MB in a relatively fast and easy way (i.e. with strong consensus), then after we have 2MB blocks in the network, we can resume the debate as to whether the strong consensus was necessary or not. Why do you insists on holding the network to ransom, over your demand to do the HF specifically without consensus?

johnyj

Mar 3, 2016
In fairness, @jonny1000, I've witnessed @theZerg explain BU to you several times, so I would agree that you appear to be playing intentionally obtuse on this topic.

Anyways, I drew a picture to explain one more time. The most important idea is a node will eventually accept an excessive block (i.e., a block larger than its block size limit) once enough proof-of-work exists between its chain tip and the longest potential chain tip (this picture illustrates a node with an "acceptance depth" of 3 (or 4?) [not sure if the first block counts].

This means that all nodes will eventually converge to the same chain, regardless of their individual block size limits. It also has the effect or discouraging blocks greater than the hash-weighted average block size limit, as these blocks are very likely to be orphaned. The idea behind Bitcoin Unlimited can be extended beyond the block size limit to all Category #2 protocol rules.

You claim that Unlimited will result in multiple permanent forks. Can you give an example of how this would be possible?
4 block waiting time is too much for the network to slow down during a large block appearance (all the nodes have to wait 40 minutes before they can process the transactions).

Wu Jihan recommended a time threshold of 30 seconds wait when there is abnormally large block in the network, so the other small blocks will have priority to be included in the chain (they take less than 10 seconds now) , but if there is no blocks discovered during these 30 seconds then the big block will enter the chain anyway

jonny1000

Nov 11, 2015
Another thing I still can't wrap my head around is why you'd hold on to strong consensus even if it destroyed the price. It seems without further clarification that you really do think of Bitcoin as a neat CS project more than as money
Firstly, to clarify, yes you are correct in that I absolutely would "hold on to strong consensus even if it destroyed the price". I do not see the network as a neat CS project more than money.

Let me try to explain again. When Bitcoin came out I thought it was an interesting and unique concept, precisely because I thought you required strong consensus in order to force changes on the network which effect a minority. This meant this new type of money protected minority rights in a way they were not protected with traditional money like USD. If Bitcoin turns out not to have this characteristic, then in my view, it is not sufficiency different from the USD to be interesting, in my mind the value of bitcoin in that scenario should fall to zero.

I had always assumed that if anyone does try to change the rules, without strong consensus, then many participants would rally behind the existing rules to defend the system. I have built new ideas on top of this assumption. If this assumption no longer holds I am simply not interested in Bitcoin.

sickpig

Aug 28, 2015
"I had always assumed that if anyone does try to change the rules, without strong consensus, then many participants would rally behind the existing rules to defend the system. I have built new ideas on top of this assumption. If this assumption no longer holds I am simply not interested in Bitcoin." - @jonny1000

Do you realize that this is already happening?

Do you think RBF is a feature backed by strong consensus?

Do you really think that changing bitcoin economics by not increasing max block size is backed by strong consensus?

And what about SegWit?

I can give you a hint on why users "didn't rally behind existing rules to defend the system": because they can't.

edit: fix typo

Last edited:

Zangelbert Bingledack

Aug 29, 2015
@jonny1000

Thoughts on my point that everyone is always in consensus on their group's vision, people can (and likely will) peacefully split via ledger copying, so no one can "change the money system" you use without your consent? Don't understand, or understand but disagree?

Because yeah, if I thought Bitcoin needed to have one strong consensus and those groups could never split off peacefully, I would think as you do: gotta convince everyone to go along. I would also be a lot less optimistic about its prospects.

@bluemoon

It makes sense if you start from the premise that there must be strong consensus or Bitcoin dies. To believers of this (highly flawed) view, it is like holding a gun to the network's head.

jonny1000

Nov 11, 2015
No I do not think there is strong consensus for full RBF. The fact that you mention this demonstrates you lack any understanding of my point of view.

Consensus on the rules for determining if a block is valid
I think we need strong consensus on the rules for determining if a block is valid. I think the incentives are structured in such a way so that we will have strong consensus on the rules for block validity. The incentive is that if there is significant disagreement on the block validity rules, such that there is a chain split, the value of the ecosystem falls to zero and participants lose all their money in bitcoin.

No need or mechanism to get us consensus on RBF
I do not think we need consensus on RBF or any policy that doesn't determine the validity of blocks. At the same time there are no incentives to ensure we achieve consensus on RBF.

Please answer me this, what mechanism do you think exists in Bitcoin which incentives us to have consensus on RBF policy?

Do you not get it now? My "ideology" on the need for consensus is integrated with the incentives put in the network by design and core to the network. It is more of an understanding than an ideology. At the same time we do not need consensus on RBF as if we disagree on this there will not be a chain split, again, thats not an opinion, but a fact. That is how nodes actually work.

"Thoughts on my point that everyone is always in consensus on their group's vision, people can (and likely will) peacefully split via ledger copying, so no one can "change the money system" you use without your consent? Don't understand, or understand but disagree?"

As I said before, create a new coin, with the hash of Bitcoin's UTXO in the genesis block if you want. As I explained above we do not need consensus on vision, we only need consensus on the rules for block validity. This should be an easy thing to do, as hopefully improvements in technology mean we can achieve almost anything in upper layers, while having a robust base layer of strong consensus on the rules for the validity of blocks.

Last edited:

Zarathustra

Aug 28, 2015
"I had always assumed that if anyone does try to change the rules, without strong consensus, then many participants would rally behind the existing rules to defend the system. I have built new ideas on top of this assumption. If this assumption no longer holds I am simply not interested in Bitcoin." - @jonny1000

Do you realize that this is already happening?

Do you really think that changing bitcoin economics by not increasing max block size is backed by strong consensus?

And what about SegWit?

I can give you a hint on why users "didn't rally behind existing rules to defend the system": because they can't.

edit: fix typo
He does realize it but he ignores it despite those facts are among the main discussion subjects of this forum.
Instead he prefers to write in a civilized (= unnatural, emotionless, artificially controlled, robotic) manner. I prefer a non-civilized, natural and humanistic communication because being civilized (patronized) is the problem, not the solution. No problem when someone calls me an idiot.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civilization

satoshis_sockpuppet

Feb 22, 2016
@jonny1000
Tell me, how do you suppose your strong consensus hard fork should activate? How does strong consensus get measured?
Maybe you skipped that part. But I'm really interested: How is the "strong consensus" supposed to be measured if not in blocks signalling support?
Honestly I don't know a better way but maybe you have one? I'm honestly interested.

Zangelbert Bingledack

Aug 29, 2015
As I said before, create a new coin, with the hash of Bitcoin's UTXO in the genesis block if you want.
What is the real difference between this and a hard fork, besides some technical tweaks just to ensure mutual non-interference? It seems to me that a hard fork like Classic wants results in either

a) everyone converges on Classic

or

b) uh-oh, a significant minority (>3%, or >10% if you like) ends up sticking with Core, so we have two persistent chains and so Core must change PoW and signing algo to ensure no attacks from Classic miners and also that tx can't be duplicated against a sender's will (in other words, merchants, etc. cannot collect your CoreBTC, too, whenever you send them ClassicBTC, by copying the tx over to the other blockchain).

I am pretty sure that if (b) can be technically performed the result would be anything but the value of the ecosystem falling to zero. In fact it should grow the value of the ecosystem greatly and/or bring great financial returns to strong supporters of the winning fork if one of them fails. (For lukewarm supporters - those who didn't sell off their [Othercoin]BTC - it grants nothing either way. Just maintainance of purchasing power.)

It seems to me, then, that the only difference between hardforking and spinning off is that the hardforking is intended to bring everyone along, and spinning off isn't (hence a few minor technical changes to ensure a peaceful split). Calling it a "new coin" fails to capture several all-important aspects, especially that investor value is never diluted and network effect is basically untouched in every crucial way.

I'd really like to know where in the line of logic you disagree or don't see the concept. There are many possible places:
  • The technical aspects of a split into two chains ("It would break Bitcoin!")
  • The counterintuitive dynamics of ledger copying ("It would dilute investor holdings!")
  • The effect on new investors ("New investors would be confused!")
  • The results if one side dominates, or if the two coexist ("People lose money! Clunky wallets!")
  • The loss of network effect (not believing how the network effect is spread by ledger copying)
  • ???