Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.

freetrader

Staff member
Dec 16, 2015
@freetrader
I think it's just an example with fake data. Just like in math books. I can't explain it easier than that.
Disagree here. It was the equivalent of a math book stating "and now I will demonstrate the hash function on this particular number", and then going on to give the WRONG goddamn result.

The more polite readers will then write a letter to the author, and he will publish it under "Errata" and hopefully correct in the next edition.

If it's a maths book though, and the mistakes heap up, the better advice would be to get a different textbook.

---

@Inca : yes on those requirements - he can't NOT see how the market would think that the 1M coins are a big elephant in the room. This whole "nobody should care who Satoshi is" won't fly very far mostly because of *that* issue (nothing to do with his tax matters), so I really hope if it's him that he picks up on the legitimacy of this question and addresses it seriously.

Last edited:

Zangelbert Bingledack

Aug 29, 2015
The explanation in his latest post actually makes sense: he's gamed this out, he knows simply moving coins in an early block will leave people debating about which blocks are really Satoshi's, and then even if he uses a block everyone agrees is Satoshi's people can say he was hacked or the keys were stolen, etc.

He needs to get certain credible people to *know*, as he said, and lay other groundwork so that when the final reveal comes it will be total and undeniable. If you really had the private keys and wanted to stick it to the doubters, would you settle for anything less? No loose ends as fodder for the reddit "amazing bullshit detector" and "immunity against scams" that they're congratulating themselves on over in /r/Bitcoin now.

Either that, or this is more misdirection and patter to play the audience. Though if he is just trolling his reputation as a businessman is finished when he cannot provide proof after teasing in such a public and visible manner, so I'm starting to believe he is Satoshi - unless he really is willing to commit career suicide just for the lulz.

Richy_T

Dec 27, 2015
I really don't understand why, if "Satoshi" wanted things not to leak that he wouldn't have had Gavin agree to hold off on announcing anything.

I don't understand why Gavin announced anything when he wasn't able to provide any proof.

The confounding thing is that none of this appears to be making any sense from any angle.

I'm hoping that is because we're missing a big piece of the puzzle but I strongly suspect that's a forlorn hope and this is just more Bitcoin weirdness.
[doublepost=1462292487][/doublepost]
1. publish public cryptographic proof
2. State position on 1m coins
3. restate his position for bitcoin scaling clearly
4. Hold a huge press conference announcing his intention to retire from public life then disappear while putting on a gold ring, never to be seen again.

YarkoL

Dec 18, 2015
Tuusula
yarkol.github.io
Though if he is just trolling his reputation as a businessman is finished when he cannot provide proof after teasing in such a public and visible manner, so I'm starting to believe he is Satoshi - unless he really is willing to commit career suicide just for the lulz.
I think his career was pretty much shot already last year - with the non-existent supercomputers, faked blog posts, faked gpg keys, ridiculous megalomanic behavior complete with swathes of doctorates obtained from P.O.Box universities etc etc etc

So seen in that light his recent antics actually start to make sense.

Reactions: solex and Melbustus

JVWVU

Oct 10, 2015
Things I would like to hear if CW is Satoshi.

1. publish public cryptographic proof
2. State position on 1m coins
3. restate his position for bitcoin scaling clearly
1. I would think coins moving is coming - probably from Block 9
2. He has its in Tulip Trust - does not appear anything changed expect Kleinman is not in control since his death
3. He was working on basically Bitcoin Unlimited in Dec and was going to report that but got outed first, followed by the shit storm that followed.

bluemoon

Jan 15, 2016
I will be disappointed if Wright is not Satoshi.

There is a lot that taken together suggests he is Satoshi: his apparent 1.1 million bitcoins; his bitcoin/IT business interests; his chaotic tax affairs; his ability to persuade people like Gavin Andresen and Jon Mantonis that he is genuine.

He has seemed a bit ambivalent about why he wishes to reveal himself. I hope that in the end it is because he wishes to do his best to make Bitcoin all it might be and to crush the bad guys.

Zangelbert Bingledack

Aug 29, 2015
Maybe Wright is a con artist, but...

There are con artists and then there are people who can sit down with someone and convince them they were someone they corresponded with in great detail years ago, apparently sharing details no one else was privy to. The latter seems superhuman.

Also, didn't New Liberty just confirm Craig's story?

Reactions: majamalu and JVWVU

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
:)

i love this guy. b/c i believe he will be right, even tho he was wrong on the latest upward move off the bottom of 200. that's ok; none of us are perfect:

Imagine if China started buying up large amounts of Bitcoin — would the rest of the world governments stand idly by and watch? I don’t think so — so my prediction here is that by 2017, governments will become the largest buyers of Bitcoin, pushing the price up to new highs.

https://medium.com/@vinnylingham/bitcoin-2016-there-has-been-an-awakening-164b42d38927#.xw6go2ta0

albin

Nov 8, 2015
That's very very plausible, it just seems ridiculous now because of the small market cap. A 2+ orders of magnitude larger Bitcoin could easily function as a macroeconomic tool for governments and central banks.

Reactions: majamalu

albin

Nov 8, 2015
Omg if this guy really turns out to be Satoshi, tragically the guy he sounds most like to me is Mike Hearn, the reviled rage-quitting spawn of Satan!

Reactions: satoshis_sockpuppet

JVWVU

Oct 10, 2015
If you where him wouldnt you be a bit pissed off at this point.

Forced to leave his house prior News reported his story becuase Australian Authorities came to his house.
Core / Blockstream has kidnapped your project to rid the world of a 3rd party oppressor.
Being called a shithead by 95% of the community you created, because they are afraid you are going to sell off 1.1 M Bitcoin.

Again listen to him, it was a team but he was the start.

lunar

Aug 28, 2015
There's also a remarkable 'cult of satoshi' going on here. I'm disturbed by how much a NAME can influence people and how that image is so much more powerful than a man could ever be. Imagine living with that pressure and increasingly distorted reality for the past 7 years all the while sitting on a rapidly multiplying mountain of wealth that can't be touched for fear of being discovered.

The reality is inevitably going to be mundane, warty and fallible, becasue none of that team built the Bitcoin we know today, they were just the spark that started the fire. What's far more probable is that Satoshi was Wright & Kleiman et al Where 'et al' are desperately trying to remain out of the limelight and Craig being the lead, has had to take one for the team.

I don't understand why Gavin announced anything when he wasn't able to provide any proof.
It's a chess game. you don't move the big pieces first. For full proof it's not just cryptographic. It's a combination of social belief, peer review, circumstantial evidence AND cryptographic proofs.

I feel so bad for him presently. (assuming he hasn't conned me too) He's just a man. We no longer live in a hierarchical analogue world, move past the man and keep true to the idea.
---
edit: this is not aimed at anyone here, rather my frustration with the reddit frenzy and media storm.

Last edited:

Justus Ranvier

Aug 28, 2015
There's also a remarkable 'cult of satoshi' going on here.
That Pandora's Box was opened a long time ago.

Bitcoin users have been willing to form cults of personality around various figures for years despite warnings that it wasn't a good idea to implicitly trust anyone, not even <insert your favourite person here>.

All calls to hammer out objective standards have been ignored in favour of the expediency. Since the ideal option is apparently off the table, the least horrible alternative is balance of power between competing cults of personality.

Live by the cult of personality (just trust us! we're the experts!), die by the cult of personality.

Last edited:

Norway

Sep 29, 2015
He's just a man.
Come on, he's filthy rich. He's had an absurd preassure, but he will probably be better off now, coming out of the closet. He must ramp up security, but he can afford it. Shark moat around the castle, and Gaddafi amazonian guards.

(Ok, they didn't save Gaddafi in the end, but he had a good ride.)

Reactions: bluemoon

Members online