Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.

yrral86

Sep 4, 2015
Here is a possible recipe for secure moving of pre-split funds to the good chain after a split:

1. The wallet you have your pre-split funds/keys in is either following your preferred chain or the chain you do not prefer. Make a backup of your keys and restore the keys to a wallet following the other chain. You should now have an identical number of coins in the two wallets.
  2. Set up two more wallets (one for each chain) and generate new post-split keys in these two new wallets. Create backup of both new keys. Both the two new wallets are empty.
  3. For each of your old wallets with funds prepare a transaction which sends the entire content of the wallet to the new empty wallet on the same chain. When you are ready with both wallets press send in both wallets at the same time. Most likely all your funds will move to your two new wallets with post-split keys. Be patient and check a blockchain explorer if you are unsure what happened. If someone managed to act very fast and broadcast one of your transactions to the unintended chain the funds will still be yours but you will have to restore keys to the new wallet(s) that did not receive any funds. The keys to restore are the keys from the other new wallet with post-split keys.
  4. When all your funds are secured with post-split keys that only exist on one chain any further transactions will automatically be invalid on the other chain. You can therefore now securely sell your cripplecoin on an exhange.
You would need post-split coins (ie freshly enerated or descended from a transaction containing freshly generated). There is no such thing as a post-fork key since any such key would be valid on both chains.

What you want is to send post-split coins to a pre split wallet and then move everything in that wallet in a single transaction. This will make sure the transaction is only valid on the chain where the post-split coins are valid.

This temporarily breaks fungibility since now there are special coins with added value.

solex

Staff member
Aug 22, 2015
Some required reading for all the Maxwell fanbois:
Don't miss the tip on how to save 100% of your bandwidth. The ultimate perfection in thinnest blocks.

Inca

Staff member
Aug 28, 2015
I have to say it is a funny love-hate thing I have with bitcoin right now. Bizarre that I literally cannot stand that miserable toad Maxwell at all. Someone who thinks they are cleverer than everyone else is not the person to ever be in charge of anything significant. He is a poison at the heart of the project.

Roll on the bitcoin bubble..

Last edited:

VeritasSapere

Nov 16, 2015
Here is a possible recipe for secure moving of pre-split funds to the good chain after a split:

1. The wallet you have your pre-split funds/keys in is either following your preferred chain or the chain you do not prefer. Make a backup of your keys and restore the keys to a wallet following the other chain. You should now have an identical number of coins in the two wallets.
  2. Set up two more wallets (one for each chain) and generate new post-split keys in these two new wallets. Create backup of both new keys. Both the two new wallets are empty.
  3. For each of your old wallets with funds prepare a transaction which sends the entire content of the wallet to the new empty wallet on the same chain. When you are ready with both wallets press send in both wallets at the same time. Most likely all your funds will move to your two new wallets with post-split keys. Be patient and check a blockchain explorer if you are unsure what happened. If someone managed to act very fast and broadcast one of your transactions to the unintended chain the funds will still be yours but you will have to restore keys to the new wallet(s) that did not receive any funds. The keys to restore are the keys from the other new wallet with post-split keys.
  4. When all your funds are secured with post-split keys that only exist on one chain any further transactions will automatically be invalid on the other chain. You can therefore now securely sell your cripplecoin on an exhange.
Would it not be better to generate the addresses on a single wallet, then export that wallet.dat file into the other wallets? Thereby guaranteeing that all of the addresses are under your control in all of the chains. Once that is done the coins can be split by sending these same coins across different chains to different addresses, thereby effectively splitting them.

Since otherwise there would be a chance that you are sending coins to an address that you do not control on one of the other chains in the case of their being a "bridge" that sends that transaction across multiple chains?

Last edited:
Reactions: freetrader

albin

Nov 8, 2015
Bizarre that I literally cannot stand that miserable toad Maxwell at all. Someone who thinks they are cleverer than everyone else is not the person to ever be in charge of anything significant. He is a poison at the heart of the project.
I think this is why they're pivoting toward a Peter Wuille cult of personality.

There's only so much Maxwell anybody can take, I find him, Peter Todd, and Adam Back profoundly exhausting to listen to, because they spend so much time and energy in producing circumlocution and manipulating the ethos of the conversation. Whereas say a Gavin or Garzik (even Wuille, though I find his political / project management ideas reprehensible) I find extremely easy to listen to, because they actually immediately get to the point without it feeling like they're micromanaging my reaction.

Justus Ranvier

Aug 28, 2015
Great example of how cryptography cuts in both directions.

You can build a cryptographic identity systems that make it impossible to tie an identity to transactions on the blockchain, or you can build a cryptographic identity to facilitate those ties.

freetrader

Staff member
Dec 16, 2015
From that article, quoting Peter Todd:
especially palatable option if layer two scaling solutions like Lightning making users less sensitive to higher fees and longer on-chain confirmation times
Wait, what?

figure out what kind(s) of miner we’re trying to encourage to achieve our goals
Ah yes, it's never too late to think about that...

I'm getting the feeling this is like the 800lb gorilla realizing that he's being hunted by the slightly larger Godzilla.

Last edited:

Justus Ranvier

Aug 28, 2015
The ChainAnchor attack plan relies on their ability to pull users into their system faster than the growth of non-ChainAnchor users.

If there's a hard cap on the number of transactions which can occur on chain, this is a lot easier for them.

If there's no hard cap on the transaction rate, then at least we can try to add new free users at a pace that exceeds the rate ChainAnchor can convert them to permissioned users.

This prevents them from achieving their goal of censoring all non-ChainAnchor transactions, or at least making the necessary bribes prohibitively expensive.

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
yep, security thru obscurity involving billions of ppl and tx's worldwide. at least that was the original plan.

Kristov talks about this in his security book.

Zangelbert Bingledack

Aug 29, 2015
This doctor has a cohesive Grand Unified Theory of insulin, obesity, diabetes, carbohydrates, and sugar, as well as a continually-growing list of cured patients to back it up:

https://intensivedietarymanagement.com

The best thing to do is take a day to read the entire blog from beginning to end if you care or think you might ever care about any of the above topics.
This guy is on to something.

I've been doing my own nutrition research and theorizing for years, but since you linked this I've been spending a lot of time each day reading the blog and watching his videos, haven't eaten for 48 hours now just out of excitement to try his fasting ideas out (feel great so far, even more energy than normal). I don't have any health or weight problems but I know enough people who do, and I'm always interested in refining my understanding of all natural orders, including biology/physiology. It's pretty fun to realize you can just not eat.

The parallels between mainstream the medical establishment and Blockstream's behavior continue to amaze me. It's a fascinating study of human nature to see how people rationalize and justify to fit their preconceived paradigm.

This recent video of his is the best short encapsulation I found yet:

albin

Nov 8, 2015
That metabolic syndrome perspective on chronic disease definitely holds water in practice. I've been eating almost zero starch and sugar and high-fat with good food quality since early 2011 and I've never felt healthier ever. I started out because historically I knew I definitely felt better cutting carbs, but I never really understood embracing the right kinds of fat before (I'd messed around prior to this with cutting carbs, but since I had that one-two punch from the mainstream health and wellness media that fat was bad, I was going skinless chicken breasts and cans of tuna fish and giving myself the miserable fatigue of straight-up rabbit starvation), and one day for the first time ever I had an episode of something briefly that felt like what I hear folks describe panic attacks as feeling like. I stumbled across some article linking panic attack type episodes to a failure to clear lactic acid in the brain, and put two and two together and decided to go hard cutting carbs just to see what happens.

During the first six months or so I slipped up once, and it taught me a valuable lesson: I caved and had, of all things a Choco-Taco, and I was amazed that after all that time having essentially no sugar, it wasn't that great, which lead me to believe that sugar definitely has this addiction / psychological fetishization angle similar to how that British dude Carr characterizes smoking in his self-help books. I felt amazing just keeping it real simple for a while, and then during Hurricane Sandy with nothing else to do (upwards of 10 days of power outage), I read Gary Taubes Good Calories, Bad Calories cover to cover by candlelight and he basically convinced me that the general direction I was going in was the right way to go.

Only downside in going down that rabbit hole imo is keep it simple and don't get too caught up in crackpot ideas about perfection. If you eat some bread or some cake at a party, you're fine, it's just your habits that matter.

Also it's too tempting to mess yourself up in the head by following online podcasts/bloggers/personalities who overwhelm you with unsubstantiated conjectural detail, to the point where you develop an orthorexia similar to the most inveterate vegans out there. Everyone and their grandmother is out there trying to convince you that you're a failure if you don't follow x, y, and z, which have no evidence. For me personally the worst guys like this were Dave Asprey and Chris Kresser. Not that they don't have interesting analysis to bring to the table, but for me online personalities like that drill down into too much speculative minutiae that is highly demotivating if you're not willing to develop some kind of obsessive-compulsive disorder. I came to the conclusion that for the purposes of practical results, I don't really care whether Stephen Guyenet is right and Taubes is wrong about the insulin hypothesis, whether dietary fat really is fattening at some level via the ASP pathway, or whatever knowshitism Jaminet wants to propose about the value of starches that I'm not going to eat anyway.

In terms of panels, my LDL went up a little bit, my HDL went up a lot, and my trigs fell through the floor. From the modern perspective in interpreting these things, I'm lead to believe that's desirable. I did a little low-level biohacking co-opting my mother's home testing equipment (she got put on metformin and instructed to test to try to avoid type II kicking in, diagnosed pre-diabetic), and right at the start I was reading low 100's fasting (which I'm to understand is definitely a warning sign of going pre-diabetic?), within like 3 months I was coming up usually high 80's - low 90's, and long-term after about a year until this day I tend to read high-70's to low-80's.

Last edited:

Mengerian

Staff member
Aug 29, 2015
Ha ha, I'm also into Paleo/ancestral health, or whatever you want to call it. Interesting that a bunch of people here are thinking along the same lines.

For me the key insight is that our genes are programmed to respond to certain signals they are exposed to, and they attempt to promote our health and survival. The problem is that they are tuned to our evolutionary history, and some aspects of modern lifestyle can trigger inappropriate genetic responses. Many chronic health problems are caused by good genes, they just activate at the wrong time. Things like inflammation, which is important for repairing injuries, but can cause major health issues when it is constantly activated.

This also applies to things other then diet, so for example I find that getting a good amount of sun, good sleep, lots of walking, etc. make me feel great.

The genes also act in many ways as an anti-fragile system, so exposing your body to occasional large variations in stimulus is also good. Things like feasting and fasting, occasional intense exertion (aka exercise), and exposure to hot and cold temperatures, can also be good for ones health.

albin

Nov 8, 2015
The anti-fragility / negative feedback idea is what really sparked the lightbulb for me once I was into it and feeling good.

When Taubes started going around saying that you don't get fat because you eat more calories, you eat more calories because you're getting fat, and making the analogy to how growth is mediated by hormones which makes a child then demand more calories behaviorally, my reaction was along the lines of "holy crap this is the right idea"..

Then you hear anecdotes like Michael Phelps the olympic swimmer eating something ridiculous like 10,000 kcal/day, and you realize, that's not necessarily just because of the exercise, it's because he's sitting in water all day losing more heat through convection in water than normally one does in air, and then you naturally eat to compensate.

Then the "checkmate" of all thought experiments dawned on me:

If this whole process is actually just energy input minus energy output as causative (and not driven by hormones causing the behavior), then wouldn't just sitting in a swimming pool for several hours a day and changing nothing else whatsoever be the most effective diet ever? Anyone who's ever spent time out shoveling snow knows that's not true, exertion and maintaining body temperature just make you eat more.

(With all this wrt to cold and body temp I merely mean the energy balance aspect, obviously the cold therapy type stuff works on different principles like reducing inflammation by introducing acute stressors and such).

Last edited:

albin

Nov 8, 2015
I would say the same thing with exercise, it's definitely something to do with what it's doing to your hormones (I'm sure it's super complicated, but stuff like upping your T, endogenous HGH production, massively sensitizing your muscle tissue to insulin, etc.), and not just the energy expenditure.

Anecdotal case in point: the greatest exercise results I've ever gotten in my life was doing no cardio intentionally, just twice a week doing single sets with extremely high weight in superslow fashion a la the recommendations of guys like Fred Hahn and Doug McGuff. Literally 8-10 exercises a week in single sets, across two sessions. Like 15 minutes total exercise in the week. Extreme acute stimulus to trigger hypertrophy and all the metabolic stuff.

Also as a caveat I noticed that being fit because of the lifting makes you want to move, and then I was prone to occasionally do some cardio type activities, but not miserably staring at the calorie counter like on a hamsterwheel, but because it felt good to move. And the kind of cardio I found myself liking was doing high-intensity intervals, like jumping on an exercise bike for like 15 min max, but alternating between a resting pace and going so fast that you can't go any harder.

The protocol I'm describing doesn't make you Arnold (the bodybuilder thing is about lots of exercise volume) and it's not skill-specific for certain sports or competitions (like if you want to be good at running you have to run), but in my experience it's great for spending to minimum time to get the maximum general health/fitness results if you're not somebody who wants to be a "gym guy".

Reactions: Dusty