Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.

Dusty

Mar 14, 2016
Yes, this is the part I understand. But the article Cypherdoc linked referred to providing a single signature that combines signatures over multiple inputs to a transaction (which may be controlled by different people).
You are right, I didn't read the article well enough because I thought to already have seen it.

Since with schnorr you can combine multiple signatures in only one, then I suppose it can also be used to sign all the inputs at once. In case of multisig inputs that should give a really big boost in available space.

That's the kind of technical advances I like, but since they are very important changes I don't like them to be pushed as soft forks. That's dangerous and leaves hundreds of old and unmantained nodes in the network for no reason at all (since they are not useful any more).

Reactions: Richy_T

Eris

Apr 15, 2016
I would. Radicals are often less about removing control than wanting to be the ones in control. It's a rare day that at least two of my friends aren't decrying the actions of the state then in the next breath propose that there be more of it to fix those actions.
The concept that their very desire to fix things might be the root cause of why things suck just goes completely over most peoples heads.

solex

Staff member
Aug 22, 2015
@Eris
Great to see you here.

@Zarathustra
I don't think that it helps to mix the concept of products with money.

Fundamentally, only products can buy products, and in practice this is barter. It is flawed because of the coincidence of wants. Two parties both need each other's product to want to make a transaction. This is fine only in Neolithic society with few products, so it's no coincidence that coinage first appeared in early cities with lots of products.

Money substitutes for products in transactions, and because a product is evidence of work, then money must be as well. Equity money evidences past work, e.g. gold & silver being mined, and Bitcoin with hashing PoW. Debt money evidences hypothetical or future work, especially in the case of government fiat, money backed by the ability to tax future production.

The cancer on a productive economy is never equity money, which is a valid substitute for products, but debt money which is promised into existence in excessive quantities via Central Bank backed FRB or government printing presses. Debt-money creates homo oeconomicus as value is bled from the productive economy through perpetual debt-money creation as this new money is first used by the elite (government, oligarchy, banks) when it has full value before the wider economy adjusts to its inflationary impact and it is then spent by the public when it has diminished value.

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
Grinding Higher

Zarathustra

Aug 28, 2015
@solex

I love you all, but you are all wrong :LOL:

> I don't think that it helps to mix the concept of products with money.

I speak about cause and effect. Without debt (to the state) there is no private debt and therefore no production growth and no economy. There is self-sufficiency.

> Fundamentally, only products can buy products, and in practice this is barter.

No. Only debt/credit can buy products. In the rain forest where the state and debt is absent, there is zero production growth, even 10'000 years after the neolithic revolution. There is no economy and no market, because without debt, state and church there is no 'motivation' to produce surplus. They produce the same amount as they did 10'000 years ago.

> It is flawed because of the coincidence of wants. Two parties both need each other's product to want to make a transaction. This is fine only in Neolithic society with few products, so it's no coincidence that coinage first appeared in early cities with lots of products.

Transactions are made because of the debt to TPTB. People are forced to transact with aliens to generate surplus, which is taxed.

> Money substitutes for products in transactions, and because a product is evidence of work, then money must be as well. Equity money evidences past work, e.g. gold & silver being mined, and Bitcoin with hashing PoW. Debt money evidences hypothetical or future work, especially in the case of government fiat, money backed by the ability to tax future production.

Debt comes always before production. Bronze, Silver, Gold has been mined because the war lords (church and state) demanded that metal as the tribute/tax.

> The cancer on a productive economy is never equity money, which is a valid substitute for products, but debt money which is promised into existence in excessive quantities via Central Bank backed FRB or government printing presses.

Surplus production (economy/society) is cancer per se. What else should it be? It means destruction of the planet with exponentially growing speed. That's the difference to the community. The community represents health, the society represents cancer.

> Debt-money creates homo oeconomicus as value is bled from the productive economy through perpetual debt-money creation as this new money is first used by the elite (government, oligarchy, banks) when it has full value before the wider economy adjusts to its inflationary impact and it is then spent by the public when it has diminished value.

Debt money is a tautology. Money is debt and commodities are commodities. Whether debt is linked and pegged to metals, grain, or to property and deposits of any kind as in the modern world, doesn't make a big difference to me.

I know, the mainstream schools (austrian, keynesian, neoclassic etc.) all teach the barter story. But it's theology, science fiction. The foundation of the economy is Debt and Organized Violence, and nothing else.

BTW, Dr. Paul C. Martin has been an Austrian, until he did some research.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8up

Richy_T

Dec 27, 2015
If you follow this path you are just creating another currency inside Bitcoin, but you would not be able to spend those new fake bitcoins with the older nodes.
Yes. I'm not familiar with his actual scheme but I don't see how it could be inflated within a traditional block.
[doublepost=1460731661,1460730923][/doublepost]
I speak about cause and effect. Without debt (to the state) there is no private debt and therefore no production growth and no economy. There is self-sufficiency.
I am confident that there would be IOUs without the state. In fact, private debt may have been what allowed the state to arise.

Transactions are made because of the debt to TPTB. People are forced to transact with aliens to generate surplus, which is taxed.
Transactions of a free people are caused because it is a mutually beneficial arrangement.

In a subsistence society, there is either a deficit of essentials (you die) or a surplus. Technology acts as a productivity multiplier and allows for more surplus. Surplus and specialization allow for activities that are not directly involved with keeping yourself alive like art, science and more technological advances. A virtuous cycle if your measure includes "quality of life for human beings" anywhere.

Inflation and true debt (borrowing to spend) lead to unnatural growth which, as you say, is a bad thing. I just think you paint with too broad a brush.

Debt comes always before production. Bronze, Silver, Gold has been mined because the war lords (church and state) demanded that metal as the tribute/tax.
I believe the desirability of those goods was a precursor to the state's demand of them.

Last edited:

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
Reactions: majamalu

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
remember to delete the Bitcoin Launchpad PPA if you don't want to upgrade to 0.12.1 inadvertently while running sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade if you're running Bitcoin Core in Ubuntu.
[doublepost=1460737104][/doublepost]
i still submit we're in a deflationary wave:

Goldman Sachs Group Inc. is embarking on its biggest cost-cutting push in years as it tries to weather a slump in trading and dealmaking, according to two people with knowledge of the effort

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-04-15/goldman-s-blankfein-said-to-demand-deepest-cost-cuts-in-years

Reactions: freetrader

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015

freetrader

Staff member
Dec 16, 2015
Without debt (to the state) there is no private debt and therefore no production growth and no economy. There is self-sufficiency.
I am going to disagree with you on this.
Private debt arises the moment when I borrow some sugar from my neighbor and promise to return it a week later. Arguing it's got something to do with the state does not convince me.
As for self-sufficiency without production growth, I think we could find a fair number of peoples which meet that and who have a concept of private debt also. I'd argue that dowry is a form of private debt that is well established in e.g. many African societies.

Surplus production (economy/society) is cancer per se. What else should it be? It means destruction of the planet with exponentially growing speed. That's the difference to the community. The community represents health, the society represents cancer.
I think you're not allowing yourself to see the positive aspect of trade that is enabled by surplus.
I don't even think you can prevent surplus and trade - it arises naturally from uneven distribution of resources. I don't see rampant destruction of anything as a necessary consequence.

Justus Ranvier

Aug 28, 2015
Trading your productive output for money and not spending it immediately (saving) is an act of lending - to the economy as a whole.

You're adding more to the pool of available products and services than you consume, then the loan is repaid when you spend the money you saved. That phenomenon by itself is sufficient to operate an economy.

You can buy a car by saving the price of the car, then purchasing it, or you can buy a car by purchasing it with debt financing and then paying for it. Both of these are roughly equivalent over long time intervals.

Debt money proponents can point to the overwhelming preference for debt financing in modern economies as evidence that it's necessary for a healthy economy, but to really prove that they'd have to prove that the reason people prefer to borrow rather than save isn't largely caused by (credit-induced) inflation stealing their savings and pushing them to change their behaviour to compensate for the theft.

Zarathustra

Aug 28, 2015
@freetrader

> I am going to disagree with you on this.

An overwhelming majority of the society disagrees with that truth. Sad but true ;-)

> Private debt arises the moment when I borrow some sugar from my neighbor and promise to return it a week later. Arguing it's got something to do with the state does not convince me.

Yes, but it does not grow rampant within a community as it is not the ruling concept of a natural community. Within a society debt grows always rampant and together with it the whole society. All societies grow rampant like cancer until they collapse.
Societies are per definition 'problem solving societies', ruled by Tainter's law: Diminishing return on investment in additional debt/energy/complexity.

> As for self-sufficiency without production growth, I think we could find a fair number of peoples which meet that and who have a concept of private debt also. I'd argue that dowry is a form of private debt that is well established in e.g. many African societies.

Bride gifts and similar occasional barter traditions can never be compared with the systemic growing debt within a society. Natural communities (dunbar!) don't produce growing debt, and therefore zero growing production. Whether you go to the stateless communities in the cold arctic tundra or in the hot rain forest. Zero growth in 1'000 and more years. Funny; isn't it?

Reactions: 8up

Zarathustra

Aug 28, 2015
@Justus

> Trading your productive output for money and not spending it immediately (saving) is an act of lending - to the economy as a whole.

Yes, then you are saving another one's debt. In other words: You don't eliminate that debt from the system as long as you are hodling it.

> You're adding more to the pool of available products and services than you consume, then the loan is repaid when you spend the money you saved. That phenomenon by itself is sufficient to operate an economy.

You always need a government that sanctions the problems of the contracts. And as we all know: a government grows rampant per definition because it starts with debt but not with equities and deposits. A state is pre-financed from the very beginning and therefore doomed from the very beginning.

> You can buy a car by saving the price of the car,

That means hodl another ones debt. The more people are hodling, the more debt can not disappear from the system.

> then purchasing it, or you can buy a car by purchasing it with debt financing and then paying for it. Both of these are roughly equivalent over long time intervals.

Yes, either you create new debt (money) with your bank and buy the car with that money, or you buy it with another one's debt that you where saving (and preventing from disappearing from the system).

> Debt money proponents can point to the overwhelming preference for debt financing in modern economies as evidence that it's necessary for a healthy economy, but to really prove that they'd have to prove that the reason people prefer to borrow rather than save isn't largely caused by (credit-induced) inflation stealing their savings and pushing them to change their behaviour to compensate for the theft.

It is always debt financing. Saving financing is debt financing, since your savings are always another one's debt. The balance of the debts and the savings (assets and liabilities) in the system is zero.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8up and Bagatell

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
Trading your productive output for money and not spending it immediately (saving) is an act of lending - to the economy as a whole.

You're adding more to the pool of available products and services than you consume, then the loan is repaid when you spend the money you saved. That phenomenon by itself is sufficient to operate an economy.

You can buy a car by saving the price of the car, then purchasing it, or you can buy a car by purchasing it with debt financing and then paying for it. Both of these are roughly equivalent over long time intervals.

Debt money proponents can point to the overwhelming preference for debt financing in modern economies as evidence that it's necessary for a healthy economy, but to really prove that they'd have to prove that the reason people prefer to borrow rather than save isn't largely caused by (credit-induced) inflation stealing their savings and pushing them to change their behaviour to compensate for the theft.
to restate what you just said at a macro level, just reference that tweet i put up the other day from that guy promoting borrowing today at the state level (UST's) only to let future generations pay the debt off.

Inca

Staff member
Aug 28, 2015
You couldn't make it up on /r/bitcoin. Please convince me it hasn't been captured by an elaborate intelligence agency operation.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/4ewqyb/the_goal_of_bitcoin_is_not_a_coffee_money_and_it/

Now the accepted meme is that bitcoin isn't for things as trivial as buying coffee, nor is it about price appreciation either. So wtf is it about? Security apparently. Just as long as it remains a tiny secure speck on the back of the existing financial system.

I particularly like this comment from 'pokertravis' stating he is ahead of the 'ignorant masses'. Oh the irony. He is either the worlds greatest useful idiot or a fantastic shill.

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
@freetrader

> I am going to disagree with you on this.

An overwhelming majority of the society disagrees with that truth. Sad but true ;-)

> Private debt arises the moment when I borrow some sugar from my neighbor and promise to return it a week later. Arguing it's got something to do with the state does not convince me.

Yes, but it does not grow rampant within a community as it is not the ruling concept of a natural community. Within a society debt grows always rampant and together with it the whole society. All societies grow rampant like cancer until they collapse.
Societies are per definition 'problem solving societies', ruled by Tainter's law: Diminishing return on investment in additional debt/energy/complexity.

> As for self-sufficiency without production growth, I think we could find a fair number of peoples which meet that and who have a concept of private debt also. I'd argue that dowry is a form of private debt that is well established in e.g. many African societies.

Bride gifts and similar occasional barter traditions can never be compared with the systemic growing debt within a society. Natural communities (dunbar!) don't produce growing debt, and therefore zero growing production. Whether you go to the stateless communities in the cold arctic tundra or in the hot rain forest. Zero growth in 1'000 and more years. Funny; isn't it?
this certainly supports what you're saying:

Dusty

Mar 14, 2016
Yes, then you are saving another one's debt. In other words: You don't eliminate that debt from the system as long as you are hodling it.
No, hodling means deferred consumption. You know the tale of The Ant and the Grasshopper, right? One lives without worring for the future, while the other not.

So, each time to hodl something you defer the consumption of that good thinking about the future. There is no debt with anyone.

Reactions: Mengerian