Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.

Inca

Staff member
Aug 28, 2015
The idiocy has reached new highs. A thread on /r/bitcoin linking an article from some economic illiterate who suggests that 'blocks being full is good for bitcoin'.

r/bitcoin is like the Marie Celeste already and I am beginning to wonder who exactly they are expecting to entice into buying the next rally with stupidity reigning supreme.

Would any sound money advocate learning about bitcoin today be anything other than put off by the concept of the network running at or near the maximum transactional capacity?

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
Reactions: majamalu and Norway

Peter R

Aug 28, 2015
"i gotta say, this sounds good. i wonder if it could be employed w/o SW?:"

https://bitcoinmagazine.com/article...crease-bitcoin-s-scale-and-privacy-1460642496

Is what the author claims with respect to Schnorr and CoinJoin correct (it would be cool if it was)? That multiple outputs each belonging to different people can be spent with a single aggregated signature? I understand that signatures for the same output can be aggregated with Schnorr (standard multisig) but this seems entirely different to me.

Reactions: majamalu

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
i've heard that claim elsewhere as well.

Zarathustra

Aug 28, 2015
this is the kind of attitude that you millenials and your offspring need to worry about; old guys running up debts on your tab:

That's not much compared to the Japanese.:sneaky:
How much money aka debt/credit (the balance is zero) should be in an economy?

yrral86

Sep 4, 2015
"i gotta say, this sounds good. i wonder if it could be employed w/o SW?:"

https://bitcoinmagazine.com/article...crease-bitcoin-s-scale-and-privacy-1460642496

Is what the author claims with respect to Schnorr and CoinJoin correct (it would be cool if it was)? That multiple outputs each belonging to different people can be spent with a single aggregated signature? I understand that signatures for the same output can be aggregated with Schnorr (standard multisig) but this seems entirely different to me.
You sign the transaction, not the output.

Dusty

Mar 14, 2016
Well, you could but the new coins would not be spendable to old addresses or on old nodes. So not really Bitcoin but the rule for that seems to be "Whatever we say it is" these days.
If other clients does not accept those blocks it's not a soft fork -- by definition.

No: the Schnorr signatures is a cool way to save space for MofN transactions: instead of providing M signatures for each input you need to sign, you just provide one that combines them.

but they are forcing it; onto old nodes. SF's are meant to allow core dev to speak on behalf of all full nodes w/o consulting them. then they get to just make it a game of convincing a few miners to go along with their central planning.
Old, non upgraded node are not mining since by hypotesis segwit activates with a supermajority, so they are not relevant on the subject of fees.

Richy_T

Dec 27, 2015
If other clients does not accept those blocks it's not a soft fork -- by definition.
It would accept the parts of the blocks it was used to accepting, just like segwit. The inflation could be in an expansion block, just like segwit.

Peter R

Aug 28, 2015
You sign the transaction, not the output.
Strictly speaking, for P2PkH you need one signature per output being spent, and the piece of data that gets signed is unique for each output. That is what I mean by sign each output.

For interested readers: for SIGHASH_ALL (most common), the scriptPubKey (i.e., the rules for spending the output) is inserted in the slot where the signature will eventually go (called the scriptSig) for the output being signed while the scriptSigs for the other outputs are nilled. The transaction in this "signature form" is hashed and the hash is then signed. This process is repeated for each output and when complete the signatures are inserted into the scriptSig slots in the transaction to create the fully-signed transaction.

No: the Schnorr signatures is a cool way to save space for MofN transactions: instead of providing M signatures for each input you need to sign, you just provide one that combines them.
Yes, this is the part I understand. But the article Cypherdoc linked referred to providing a single signature that combines signatures over multiple inputs to a transaction (which may be controlled by different people).

Anyways, I believe I can sort of see how this indeed would be possible if OP_CHECKSIG worked much differently (and presumably segwit would give us flexibility here).

Last edited:
Reactions: cypherdoc

Richy_T

Dec 27, 2015
I would. Radicals are often less about removing control than wanting to be the ones in control. It's a rare day that at least two of my friends aren't decrying the actions of the state then in the next breath propose that there be more of it to fix those actions.

Dusty

Mar 14, 2016
It would accept the parts of the blocks it was used to accepting, just like segwit. The inflation could be in an expansion block, just like segwit.
If you follow this path you are just creating another currency inside Bitcoin, but you would not be able to spend those new fake bitcoins with the older nodes.

This is not different from altcoins like MasterCoin: they work inside the blockchain, but they are not interoperable with regular bitcoins.

Zarathustra

Aug 28, 2015
There's no such thing as a store of value.

Value is produced and consumed in real time - all you can store is evidence that you've produced more in the past than you consumed in the past, and hope that producers of value in the future will respect that by allowing you to consume more than you produce in the future.
All commodities - liquid, illiquid, mobile or immobile ones - are valued in money, which is DEBT. Gold got its value by the 'ability' to pay your debt (tribute/tax) to TPTB (church and state), which is the first debt and the foundation of the so called economy, which has been invented by organized violence of the Organized Violence (sick people who became priests and war lords to build the church mafia/military mafia, aka the state). People became epidemically sick when they began to hold cattle within concentration camps. Now it's a globalized pandemic, still waiting to be defeated.

Gerhard Bott: 'The invention of the Gods'
http://gerhardbott.de/das-buch/summary-in-english.html

Charles Tilly: War Making and State Making as Organized Crime
https://de.scribd.com/doc/2846173/Tilly-War-Making-and-State-Making-as-Organized-Crime

Capitalism is not Barterism, it is Debitism (Dr. Paul C. Martin), from the very beginning, when anarchy has been replaced by patriarchy (the tragedy of the communities and its transformation into societies: collectivism), when the homo sapiens has been transformed into a cartoon of himself, the homo oeconomicus (debt slave).

http://www.miprox.de/Wirtschaft_allgemein/Martin-Symp.pdf
https://bitco.in/forum/search/26704/?q=martin-symp&o=date&c[user][0]=30

Last edited:
Reactions: 8up