Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.

Melbustus

Aug 28, 2015
When the "print yourself infinite bitcoin" integer overflow manifested, Satoshi asked people to stop generating, not stop mining.
Also, as I'm sure many of us in this thread can recall, the Satoshi client contained a menu item named "generate coins" well into 2011.

Reactions: AdrianX

Bloomie

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 19, 2015
Keeping the mining metaphor will help with recruiting individual folks from around the world, if that path is still in the cards. "Come be part of the Bitcoin backoffice" just doesn't sound as attractive to someone sitting in a remote village hut with his homebuilt laptop hoping to make an extra few dollars a day (that's how I like to picture miners).

rocks

Sep 24, 2015
Also, as I'm sure many of us in this thread can recall, the Satoshi client contained a menu item named "generate coins" well into 2011.
@molecular joined the fork test yesterday and our nodes successfully formed a new P2P network, mined coins and built a new branch together. The next test in a few days will be ready for public use. If you would like to "generate coins" linked to the genesis block, you will be able to soon.

Last edited:

sickpig

Aug 28, 2015
Re DDOS, stopped using ipv4, using only ipv6. Node operating. Attack still ongoing, but I have a good link, ping times increased from normal 2.5 ms to 10 ms.
classic or BU? does the DDoS just floods your node with UDP packets or it is using tcp on bitcoin ports (8333 or RPC 8332)?

update: I've read better your tcpdump log. it's UDP DNS based amplification attack. same as the one described on reddit few days ago.

you your node is home based you're almost out of luck, if you are host on some data centers or your node is vps based you should ask your provider to null routing the request coming from the offending IPS...

if you didn't already block all incoming udp requests on port 53. if you're Linux based something like:

sudo iptables -A INPUT -i eth0 -p UDP --dport 53 -j REJECT

should works (assuming the traffic incoming traffic will be received on eth0).

It won't alleviate your problem by any significant mean, but at least you just drop packets as soon as they come in.

Last edited:
Reactions: bluemoon

albin

Nov 8, 2015
I like "mining" (even if it isn't a completely perfect analogy) because I tend to find the precious metal / coin analogies the most accurate with respect to the substance.

For example, I totally support the "-coin" in "Bitcoin" in the face of the criticism that calling it a "coin" is inaccurate (because "distributed consensus system", etc etc). Reason being that for the central money application of the system, unspent outputs are quite literally a medium of exchange that carries the intrinsic money value with it, i.e. exactly what a coin specifically is.

solex

Staff member
Aug 22, 2015
@adamstgbit
It is great to see you here. You and cypher made BCT the happening place until the dead hand of thermos lay down the Shadow of Darkness.

You have come over at the right time. Critical mass is building up for major developments.

Aquent

Aug 19, 2015
Hope is great, but I am starting to wonder how finely incentives align. Specifically, "early adopters" or inertia, are unwilling to punish, looking at little things to find hope. 5 Phs, when f2pool alone has 280, is as good as insignificant.

How are decisions made bitcoiners? When the devs have their say, the miners have their say, the users just sit back and allow themselves to be ordered about? B*****n constantly, but who cares about that, there is always a little candy of 5 phs which is as good as useless.

You just bearing it, aren't you, when you have the power, and you bearing it because well, greed. You speak all finely about others being shortsighted, while yourself being shortsighted.

Not sure what that says about long term really.

Nothing is more real than when reality hits you.

Reactions: AdrianX

Norway

Sep 29, 2015
Posted this at BCT:

--------------------------------------

No mention that Adam got the boot from Theymos here? Weired.

Well, life goes on. At www.bitco.in

Now both moderators of the epic threads "Gold collapsing, Bitcoin up" and "Wall Observer" (Cypherdoc & Adamstgbit) are at bitco.in

(PS. The new moderator here will probably delete this post as soon as it is detected.)

Erdogan

Aug 30, 2015
classic or BU? does the DDoS just floods your node with UDP packets or it is using tcp on bitcoin ports (8333 or RPC 8332)?

update: I've read better your tcpdump log. it's UDP DNS based amplification attack. same as the one described on reddit few days ago.

you your node is home based you're almost out of luck, if you are host on some data centers or your node is vps based you should ask your provider to null routing the request coming from the offending IPS...

if you didn't already block all incoming udp requests on port 53. if you're Linux based something like:

sudo iptables -A INPUT -i eth0 -p UDP --dport 53 -j REJECT

should works (assuming the traffic incoming traffic will be received on eth0).

It won't alleviate your problem by any significant mean, but at least you just drop packets as soon as they come in.
I see the text of tcp transmissions of length about 45k to tcp port 8333, and I suspect there are udp calls to the same port, looking on the tcpdump for the interface. I stopped calls to that port with iptables, and I don't see them any more. I noticed, because the network basically stopped working for other uses, possibly my buffers were filled up.

Well removed the stops, and it seems the attack is over. I may have got the ping times wrong. Pinging the first router is about 1.5 ms, I may have pinged a host some hops away.

The output from tcpdump in my first post about this, and the nearly frozen machine, indicated an attack.

Classic. I changed to classic from BU yesterday.

(I suspect stopping udp/53 is not a good idea, but I may be wrong).

adamstgbit

Mar 13, 2016
Hope is great, but I am starting to wonder how finely incentives align. Specifically, "early adopters" or inertia, are unwilling to punish, looking at little things to find hope. 5 Phs, when f2pool alone has 280, is as good as insignificant.

How are decisions made bitcoiners? When the devs have their say, the miners have their say, the users just sit back and allow themselves to be ordered about? B*****n constantly, but who cares about that, there is always a little candy of 5 phs which is as good as useless.

You just bearing it, aren't you, when you have the power, and you bearing it because well, greed. You speak all finely about others being shortsighted, while yourself being shortsighted.

Not sure what that says about long term really.

Nothing is more real than when reality hits you.
I think you greatly underestimate Classic's support...

f2pool's support growing is good, and 4.6% of the total hashing power is quite formidable.

you have to understand many miners support the classics scaling vision, but still run Core simply because they do not like the idea of a "change of government",

Also Core is promising an effective block increase in april and then 2MB HF later, these PROMISES is keeping a lot of hashing power pointed to Core.

What happens when segwit is delayed?
What happens when segwit's "effective block size increase" isn't as effective as the promised?
What happens when it is clear that core never has any intention of increasing to 2MB ever?

if / when Classics gains >51% of hash rate, it'll happen seemingly overnight. at one point poeple will of had enough, and the fireworks fallow.

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015

molecular

Aug 31, 2015
dsa
@molecular joined the fork test yesterday and our nodes successfully formed a new P2P network, mined coins and built a new branch together. The next test in a few days will be ready for public use. If you would like to "generate coins" linked to the genesis block, you will be able to soon.
And I can tell you it's a lot of fun. Feel the power! ;-)
[doublepost=1457907544][/doublepost]
I take it this is where the party is at on this forum.
i was banned from bitcointalk, i guess they didnt like my work in this thread.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1393827.0

in a way it's a blessing, I had been spending to much time having fun @ bitcointalk...
lol! You got kicked from there?!? Fantastic!

I'm happy you showed up here! Feel right at home and have a beer.

Richy_T

Dec 27, 2015

in a way it's a blessing, I had been spending to much time having fun @ bitcointalk...
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?

Looks like I may have to quit slacking off on some changes I've been meaning to make.

And welcome, Adam.

sickpig

Aug 28, 2015
I see the text of tcp transmissions of length about 45k to tcp port 8333, and I suspect there are udp calls to the same port, looking on the tcpdump for the interface. I stopped calls to that port with iptables, and I don't see them any more. I noticed, because the network basically stopped working for other uses, possibly my buffers were filled up.

Well removed the stops, and it seems the attack is over. I may have got the ping times wrong. Pinging the first router is about 1.5 ms, I may have pinged a host some hops away.

The output from tcpdump in my first post about this, and the nearly frozen machine, indicated an attack.

Classic. I changed to classic from BU yesterday.

(I suspect stopping udp/53 is not a good idea, but I may be wrong).
sorry I didn't read your tcpdump log properly (I'm on mobile). So the attack was on bitcoind port hence no need to close port 53 (it's harmless by the way if you aren't a public DNS server)

rocks

Sep 24, 2015

Good to see you here. Don't worry too much. /r/bitcoin is now banning posts that contain only quotes by Satoshi. If you are getting banned it is because you are doing something right.

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
Its gr8 to see so many familiar faces.

I feel right at home here, I delayed coming to this forum, because I felt it was my duty to beat as much sense into bitcointalk as i could. lol.
@Bagatell ;)

Reactions: majamalu