Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.

awemany

Aug 19, 2015
@cypherdoc

Never let anyone forget that it was Core who wasted so much time with their hysteria.

They've already tried trying to turn this around on Classic by saying the hard fork plan is "too fast", without accepting one iota of responsibility for all the of man-months wasted by their stalling and FUD.
Absofrigginlutely.

Remember that allowing Gavin to take the lead on a MAX_BLOCK_SIZE increase while they worked in parallel on getting their segregated witness proposal actually ready to deploy later on was always an option.

I predict that we will never hear a convincing explanation for why they couldn't just do the reasonable and sensible thing from the beginning.

Absolutely none of this drama was necessary.
No, but if we succeed, this might have shed the first round of people like they are described up further in your thread.

The behavior oddly reminds me a little bit of this article from a completely different subject. Not saying there are any victims here (except Bitcoin itself..).

awemany

Aug 19, 2015
So given Greg's rage about being ignored and Gavin being not an active committer and so forth...

I just saw this in a link on reddit:

https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/commits/master?page=289

Note the prominence of Greg's face on the earliest commits ever done in Bitcoin.
These commits listed there are from sirius-m (Martti Malmi). It also says so in the git log. It ALSO says so in the old SVN sources. And Greg came after Gavin.

So where is this mis-attribution of the earliest commits to Greg coming from?

Isn't THIS something that Greg should fix ASAP?

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
These commits listed there are from sirius-m (Martti Malmi)
@awemany
wait, wut? can you link to what you mean? are you saying there is misattribution going on here? how's that happen? that'd be big news.

awemany

Aug 19, 2015
Yes it surely looks like it.

The git got at some point imported from SVN. The old SVN is still online. (For eventual later reference, I just did a 'svn log' on trunk, hash of that log is 48d9c16167ce0b6528031e13cc759d0830bfa9d61435625c5fd35fdf4b5693e5)

Assuming that the SVN repo didn't get messed with, you can browse the repo here:

https://sourceforge.net/p/bitcoin/code/commit_browser

Click on 'more' until you get revision '1', SVN only has 1-step-wise increasing integer revisions.
r1 is a commit by sirius-m (Martti Malmi).

If you download (clone) the git repo (which was made out of the SVN repo), the commits show up correctly and with the same author:

commit 4405b78d6059e536c36974088a8ed4d9f0f29898
Author: sirius-m <sirius-m@1a98c847-1fd6-4fd8-948a-caf3550aa51b>
Date: Sun Aug 30 03:46:39 2009 +0000

First commit

However, on github, I see the following (made this screenshot with web-capture.net, but it shows the same as in my local browser):

This surely looks like sirius-m's very initial commits are wrongly attributed to Greg. Maybe you can repeat the steps and tell me whether I am doing something weirdly wrong here?

I have a slight feeling of a deja-vu given the git commit page, as if we had the same or a similar issue with some misattribution on Core's side before, but I am absolutely not sure.

EDIT: Link to archive.is of github page for posterity: http://archive.is/TYTHv

sickpig

Aug 28, 2015
@awemany they simply did a poor job at importing svn history.

maybe at the time it diidn't seem like a big deal and investing more time into make it properly wasn't see as worth pursuing.

in hindsight they could have invested a little bit more energy in the migration from svn to got.

in open source projects proper attribution is essential.

Reactions: awemany

albin

Nov 8, 2015
Counting commits can't possibly be a meaningful thing right? It only stands to reason that different devs are going to have different areas of specialty, and the types of code that a project is going to need work on is obviously going to vary wildly depending on what's going on, no? Furthermore there's clearly so much more involved in a project such as code review, testing, evaluating proposals, producing documentation, community outreach, mentoring new developers wanting to participate, etc.

awemany

Aug 19, 2015
@sickpig: Maybe. But I cannot actually see so much wrong with the import itself, other than that some people are appearing under two handles (such as Gavin: "Gavin Andresen" and "gavinandresen").
I also just redid the import from SVN and it looks quite similar to what is sitting below all other commits in github.com/master.

I have converted quite a few SVN projects to git in the past and other than this problem of getting different (in detail, as above) handle names, the transition was usually very smooth.

I have not seen git-svn change a 'sirius-m' to a 'Greg Maxwell' automatically.

So maybe this is a github issue.

But the peculiar 'bug(?)' above of Greg appearing as sirius-m appears quite weird. It is the only outright misattribution I found and it happened for the most earliest commits.

The other things are basically just the github account of Jeff not being linked to some of his commits, as he appears with a different handle. This is to be expected, as it cannot really be automated without risking false positives.

So I do wonder what is behind this.
[doublepost=1455137613][/doublepost]
Counting commits can't possibly be a meaningful thing right? It only stands to reason that different devs are going to have different areas of specialty, and the types of code that a project is going to need work on is obviously going to vary wildly depending on what's going on, no? Furthermore there's clearly so much more involved in a project such as code review, testing, evaluating proposals, producing documentation, community outreach, mentoring new developers wanting to participate, etc.
The problem isn't counting commits, the problem is that the earliest commits on Bitcoin (on github) are falsely attributed to ... Greg Maxwell. Instead of sirius-m.

If it is a bug, it is an interesting coincidence:

1. As far as I can see, this is the only misattribution of this kind
2. It is the earliest commits and a causual observer would think Greg started Bitcoin (like someone on reddit did)
3. It is a misattribution to Greg

Last edited:

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
There's a discussion on reddit in the last few months where Hearn thought, as did I, that gmax hasn't entered bitcoin dev until mid 2011. Someone corrected him using this github repo. He should know about this.

awemany

Aug 19, 2015
Yeah, something around this I remember. Did Greg participate in those discussions? If so, he must have known about this...

Reactions: AdrianX

awemany

Aug 19, 2015
@cypherdoc:

To summarize, I

a) see absolutely no indication that Greg was involved in Bitcoin development before 2011.
b) see no reason to doubt the SVN importer, as I just redid the import myself and compared the first imported commits to a simple 'svn log' (a SVN-only command that doesn't rely on any git import). This is also consistent with the SVN-browser on sourceforge.

If you can dig something out where Greg himself asserts he was active, committing dev earlier than 2011, we should check that versus all available sources. I bet he wasn't.

rocks

Sep 24, 2015
Fiat monetary policy is going to get worse and worse soon. If we can only unblock the stream of transactions there is no stopping the moon.

"One of the most surprising comments this year came from a closed session on fintech where I sat next to someone in policy circles who argued that we should move quickly to a cashless economy so that we could introduce negative rates well below 1% – as they were concerned that Larry Summers' secular stagnation was indeed playing out and we would be stuck with negative rates for a decade in Europe. They felt below (1.5)% depositors would start to hoard notes, leading to yet further complexities for monetary policy."

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-02-10/something-very-disturbing-spotted-morgan-stanley-presentation-slide

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
@awemany

The reason 2011 made sense is because of his BCT account. People here remember that I used to talk about how I've been here before gmax based on what I thought I knew at the time, as did Hearn. We should look at Hearns reddit history to find that interaction.

I don't think gmax ever challenged me on those assertions either. What can be interesting is how much a misperception like this would be worth in terms of capital funding.

rocks

Sep 24, 2015
The Classic node count slowed down after the first couple weeks, today it started to jump again now that the release version is out.

The gap between core 0.12 nodes vs Classic nodes, which is the real metric, is widening.
[doublepost=1455153695][/doublepost]Volume is not great though

Reactions: majamalu

solex

Staff member
Aug 22, 2015
@rocks
I think the market is seeing Classic going forward leaps and bounds while Core v0.12 with its poison pill not being the flavor of the day. Hence, it is starting to price in the benefit of main-chain scaling. Excellent!

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
check out the like:

Reactions: majamalu