Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.

AdrianX

Aug 28, 2015
bitco.in

I thought this guy was a Troll, Did I miss something?
He is a skeptic, He doesn't advocate investing in BTC actually he discourages it. None the less he see Bitcoin as very important and fascinating. He gave an analogy that bitcoin related to Passenger airlines like the Wright brothers are to the passenger airline industry.

I think we've all labelled him as a troll at some point, and I'm sure Adam is calling him one right now.

To his credit he has an impeccable track record for sporing scams and bad actors. He leans more towards the idea that we need to have monetary inflation over a fixed supply, but despite that as a difference in opinion, we all agree money should not be controlled by or for the benefit of a few.

Last edited:

Melbustus

Aug 28, 2015
Anyone else notice that we're now fighting tooth-and-nail for a one-time 2MB? The original idea was 20MB plus an exponential increase for 20yrs.

Then we compromised to start at 8MB.

Now a one-time to 2MB is all that's *potentially* on the table...

Adam beating the community over the head with fear-mongering about miners not being able to handle >2MB is seriously trying my patience. He's framing this as a technical issue when it's far more philosophical (you either believe the free-market works, or you don't).

What we need is *new* hashpower at this point.

sickpig

Aug 28, 2015
gmax's wall of text trying to convince eric@haobtc that Core is the way to go

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1343716.msg13701818#msg13701818

I'm not able to read it all, because he's getting on my nerves... badly. I don't even know where to start. I just want to quote this piece as evidence of quintessential example of gmax's attitude toward other parties:

gmax said:
As far as classic itself goes. I must admit having a difficult time taking the question seriously. The active technical minds in this space, dozens of people, almost unanimously agree with Core's approach. Similar to XT, perhaps arguably worse off--, classic is not currently supported by a vibrant team of experienced and able parties.
apparently Jeff and Gavin are not experienced enough in Maxwell's eyes.

Melbustus

Aug 28, 2015
Fighting on all fronts to keep their fiefdom under tight control (under the vomit-inducingly ironic banner of decentralization).
The worst-case outcome is actually that Core "caves" and supports a 2MB hard-fork this year. Then they look like they've "listened to the community and compromised, after doing difficult technical due diligence, etc, etc." We end up in a situation where they have a lot of goodwill in the community for the impression of "ending the stalemate", and of course we still have bitcoin protocol dev that heads in a direction which eschews free-market dynamics and promotes raising on-chain fees sooner than if another team held the keys.

Justus Ranvier

Aug 28, 2015
The worst-case outcome is actually that Core "caves" and supports a 2MB hard-fork this year.
Many non-Blockstream businesses have already made the decision to diversify away from Bitcoin Core, and most of those plans are already moving forward.

Now that they've made themselves into a risk to all Bitcoin businesses, everybody has a fiduciary responsibility to address that risk. That responsibility doesn't go away if they merge a 2 MB patch tomorrow.

rocks

Sep 24, 2015
Many non-Blockstream businesses have already made the decision to diversify away from Bitcoin Core, and most of those plans are already moving forward.

Now that they've made themselves into a risk to all Bitcoin businesses, everybody has a fiduciary responsibility to address that risk. That responsibility doesn't go away if they merge a 2 MB patch tomorrow.
Another motivation for users to move off of core is RBF that is the default in 0.12

Most miners have stated they disagree with RBF and will not use it. This could help move people to classic even if core caves.

The choice isn't 1mb vs 2mb, it is 1mb with RBF vs 2mb without RBF.
[doublepost=1454023075,1454022432][/doublepost]This is a really good point.

albin

Nov 8, 2015
@yrral86

Click the link for slack on bitcoinclassic.com and enter in the email address you want to receive an invite on, and it will automatically send you an invite.

Reactions: Norway

solex

Staff member
Aug 22, 2015
So here it goes. A new paradigm. No more changes made against popular opinion.

### VOTING IS OPEN for BUIPs 2, 4, 5, 10 & 13 ###

Those that have joined the BU membership please take the time to vote.

If passed, these improvements will build on the original change for emergent consensus, allow the RBF issue to be dealt with, make the alert mechanism BU specific, and enable very efficient block transfer between nodes.

Last edited:

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015

And now we know the reason for Adams tweet storm and proof on why the handicapping 1MB is there
that's f*cking outrageous and exactly what i was expecting; long, long ago.

Reactions: Norway and majamalu

Melbustus

Aug 28, 2015

I hope that's the case. Frankly, I was disappointed that Coinbase/Bitpay/Xapo/etc didn't come out after the holidays with a real plan. If they got on the same page with an aggressive plan to raise the limit, most of the ecosystem would fall in behind them so long as their plan was reasonable.

But instead all we got was Coinbase saying they ran various implementations as experiments, and a blog post from Stephen Pair about an adaptive limit. These guys need to make this a comprehensive industry priority.

JVWVU

Oct 10, 2015
And to be honest I am not all crazy about the "toomins" being the "leads", I support Oliver and Garzik on this mainly and until others say the code is good to go then it's really risking a shit ton as a company until 100% sure.

Matthew Light

Dec 25, 2015
Concur but they also don't want shit like the civil war we are currently in causing them to lose sleep. I know enough to be deadly and right now I am beyond frustrated. If classic comes out and nothing happens, I am going to have to decide if adding more USD to bitcoin is a worthwhile investment.
Agreed.

The civil war is just too damn much to stomach.

FWIW I sold more of my BTC position today for ETH after the BTC chart breakdown.