Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
I get the impression that Luke-jr is making his way onto the list to get purged.
can you elaborate?
[doublepost=1450197529][/doublepost]well, one thing is consistent:

Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.
[doublepost=1450197885][/doublepost]$DJT still doggedly non-confirming despite the attempted short squeeze. the rest of the week ought to be a doozy:

albin

Nov 8, 2015
Total speculation, but I'm getting the impression that while he subscribes to a lot of the same talking points and has done work for Blockstream, he's not a joiner and and is somewhat a loose cannon. I get the impression that the priority tx situation might be a prelude for things to come. In a cult like Core, dissent can only lead to either further marginalization, or acquiescence to rehabilitation. In the context of that particular conversation I get the vibe that he's in the fold, but he probably doesn't get respect commensurate to his expectations, because they routinely seem to just dismiss his suggestions.

Last edited:

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
@Inca

no, not a founder. but paid consultant from the get go.

i also don't see any hint of Luke getting himself removed from core dev, nor garzik.

Reactions: Inca

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
here is an interesting perspective from one who is going on 5 yr in Bitcoin (next month), who started a longstanding thread in 8/11, who was once as high as the #2 poster on BCT, who is older and experienced, who has as a result been trolled up the wazoo in my gold thread and b/c of all that posting, and who now is moderator of this new forum where everyone appears to be happy and where no one has been banned, censored, or even trolled: i have developed a thick skin.

IOW, i am used to being trolled, negatively rated (unfairly i might add), lied to, lied about, and generally harassed on my views. THIS goes a long way towards tolerance.

all the small blockists are brittle and fragile and just generally, can't take it.

which is why it's so peaceful around here.

Last edited:

Mengerian

Staff member
Aug 29, 2015
And at base, economically, Bitcoin is just a set of UTXOs and private keys controling them - i.e., a ledger - a record of who provided value to whom and who had more insight, foresight, and strength of conviction forged in the fires of gigantic surges and crashes over the years, distilled and rarefied through an endless parade of altcoin distractions, technical scares, and schemes like Pirateat40 Bitcoinica, and ASICMiner coaxing away people's coins.

@cypherdoc's aphorism "most people will lose money in this space" functions as an ever-intensifying Great Filter, a crucible out of which a mature economy is formed where the pork has been trimmed off and only the most efficient, most insightful, most prescient, most economically literate, most positively imperturbable investors survive. These make the most effective stewards of the ledger going forward, naturally representing the entire array of disciplines necessary for full understanding of Bitcoin.

Far from being a merely arbitrary distribution of wealth, the ledger as it stands is thus incredibly valuable compared to a clean slate, and even if people like Anonymint are right that Bitcoin is "irredeemably doomed bloatware spaghetti code that can never scale," an entirely new protocol can take over the ledger maintenance function if need be. If the current protocol flounders and somehow cannot be fixed, economic pressure builds for any "altcoin" to be released as a spinoff using the Bitcoin ledger, since a huge functioning economy would be on board with it from Day 1.

This is why I'm not worried about the future. My only concern is the short term, because I would really like to see a surge above the all-time high within the next few months to end the two-year bear market.
The process of coin distribution is indeed fascinating to observe and ponder. Intuitively it seems like a broad base of holders should lead to higher value. But arbitrary initial distributions such as air-drops do not work. The process by which coins are distributed is important. It is path dependent.

All of Bitcoin's turmoils are necessary for it to grow stronger. If Bitcoin is to succeed, it must confront and overcome everything that could possibly destroy it. It must run the gauntlet of scams, hacks, thefts, regulations, bubbles, crashes, bear markets, technical hurdles, power grabs, scaling problems, etc. The more challenges Bitcoin confronts and overcomes now, the stronger it will be in future.

In the end, the community of individuals who value bitcoin is what determines its worth. If Bitcoin succeeds, there will be a wealth transfer from late adopters to future holders. These beneficiaries will be the guardians of bitcoin value, and can only be those who were most prescient, patient, productive and persistent.

Last edited:

VeritasSapere

Nov 16, 2015
The new /r/btc moderator (/u/btcdrak) just banned /u/hellobitcoinworld (founder of XTnodes):

Wow, that did not take long for btcdrak to start the censorship, even after he said that he would not moderate until moderation rules where agreed upon, I hope he gets removed as a moderator immediately.

The wording for this ban is freaking ridiculous, no one should ever be banned for being "offensive". What is considered offensive by people is completely subjective and varies from person to person. This should never be a justification for censorship.

Man, I only posted like two hours ago that time will tell whether he would abuse this power. If this was not so sad it would actually be comical, ridiculous.

Last edited:

awemany

Aug 19, 2015
So here's a possible positive take on Roger Ver instating btcdrak as a mod:

Maybe this is reverse psychology? Maybe he just wants to show the ridiculousness of the small block position? Maybe he wants to show how the small-blockers are utterly unbearable?

Maybe he just wants to let btcdrak destruct himself by putting him into a position of 'power'.

EDIT: And the answer to my post calling him out for redefining safety is deliciously ridiculous:

I almost get a sense of sarcasm from his post. As if he's really just playing the troll. Who knows.

Aquent

Aug 19, 2015
What the actual fuck? This starts to really smell like a concerted divide-and-conquer to me...

@Aquent:

You wrote this, right?:

Thanks, this is to the point. Nice collection of misbehavior you made there :)
Yes, I did. I probably shouldn't make any comments here right now cus bit riled up, but there are so many peculiar things happening, both seen and unseen, that it looks to me some powerful force stands behind them. I, of course, am in no way sufficiently intelligent to counteract it, but every ying has it's yang.

Needless to say, tonight I am seeing what is happening as more confirmation (of the above), but there are many suggestions that bitcoin's incentives are working and the yang is rising to the challenge, therefore making me feel comfortable at times to laugh at the utter ridiculousness of it all.

All speculation though, and simply my opinion.
[doublepost=1450206349][/doublepost]Cute, full censorship is on, although in this case I can't terribly blame them for trying to preserve themselves, but this thread is poof:

https://www.reddit.com/r/btc/comments/3wyy8m/abort_ship/

Last edited:

awemany

Aug 19, 2015
@Aquent: I am still pondering whether it might be reverse psychology. As in 'make people really angry so we're actually more likely to get the desired change (BIP101)'. (That would be an underhanded tactic I would despise, while still being pro BIP101 or no-limit).

Either that, or coercion from TLAs.

The whole weird Bitcoin space now really reached comical levels of ridiculousness.

Reactions: AdrianX

bitsko

Aug 31, 2015
So first I questioned the moderator actions on the first round of banning and asked roger ver to answer to it, which instead they were apparently unbanned and I was snarked at by bitcoinxio with 'actual facts' all the while the /r/btc leaders had no courage to publicly apologize for their actions, which considering their retreat, should be justifiable to anyone who changes their mind with a sense of honor: to own up to it.

Now, I intentionally got banned by /u/btcdrak for being intentionally offensive to try and delineate where the censorship lines are to be drawn in /r/btc. They are clearly drawn much further in, as hellobitcoinworld got banned for saying to 'go away'.

I'm convinced on the old same as the new at the moment, thank goodness for bitco.in and /r/bitcoinxt.

Last edited:

AdrianX

Aug 28, 2015
bitco.in
This post in the xt sub is fascinating.

I get the impression that Luke-jr is making his way onto the list to get purged. They already did Mike Hearn and Gavin, Garzik getting iced out feels like it's in progress.

Just WOW...

then u/btcdrak says stuff like: There are other things too, but I wont say them in public.

and the next day he is employed as a Blockstream sanitize on r/btc wtf!

Mike may sound a bit angry at time but hell he's the only one with his head on straight:

Last edited:
Reactions: VeritasSapere

Justus Ranvier

Aug 28, 2015
I'm glad these guys are revealing their true natures more by the day. It helps to encourage and amplify the immune response against them.

Notice how Suonkim, btcdrak, yingsena, and smartfbrankings have put Gavin into a no-win situation.

At first, he tried to have an open, public discussion about BIP101. Their response (check their post history!) was to attack him for it. At the same time, Theymos moved to censor all public discussion forums under his control. Also, unknown parties engaged in persistant DDoS attacks on any users or pool operators who indicated support for BIP101.

Now that all public discussion forums have been closed off, he's being attacked for taking the conversation offline into the only venues where he won't be attacked for having them.

As you're reviewing the post history of those accounts, be sure to note when they are deriding BIP101 for being "insufficiently tested", as if the expensive DDoS attacks aimed at any anyone who did try to test it never happened.

When people tried to move elsewhere to continue the discussion, the trolls followed them there to continue stirring up drama. Now btcdrak, the same person who is trying to convince Bitcoin Core developers to change their license to non-FOSS managed to sweet talk Roger Ver into a moderator position on /r/btc.

Watch out for people who try to control other people by setting up no-win situations for them. That kind of behavior is sadism at best, and psychopathy at worst. You don't really want either type of individual too close to the systems that protect your money.

awemany

Aug 19, 2015
@Justus Ranvier

I fully agree. However, I have to admit I am laughing. This is all just beyond ridiculous now. It has fully crossed the level of 'yeah, right, exactly, I fully believe you. LOL.' for me now.

Lately, in Bitcoin, there's a surprise of weirdness happening every day.

Justus Ranvier

Aug 28, 2015
This is all just beyond ridiculous now. It has fully crossed the level of 'yeah, right, exactly, I fully believe you. LOL.' for me now.
I could probably laugh, if it wasn't for the fact that they've done something which I find unforgivable: They've created a situation where I have the feel grateful that Mike Hearn and Coinbase are saving Bitcoin.

On one side we have Coinbase which, as a MSB in the United States, is not allowed to be much more than a hand puppet for FinCEN. And then there's Mike Hearn whose willingness to entertain protocol-level censorship as an acceptable outcome was outrageous enough that I couldn't decide if he was a paid agent, or a Baker Act candidate.

And they are the only ones making sense.

On the other side, all the so-called cypherpunks are busy spouting off economic nonsense, preening themselves with their past accomplishments and academic titles, generally acting increasingly tone deaf to the needs of the users of the network (including proposing protocol-level censorship for things they don't think should be in the blockchain!), and engaging in activities that are increasingly difficult to interpret as anything other than intentionally hobbling Bitcoin for their own personal profit. And according to them, they're the good guys!

VeritasSapere

Nov 16, 2015
So here's a possible positive take on Roger Ver instating btcdrak as a mod:

Maybe this is reverse psychology? Maybe he just wants to show the ridiculousness of the small block position? Maybe he wants to show how the small-blockers are utterly unbearable?

Maybe he just wants to let btcdrak destruct himself by putting him into a position of 'power'.

EDIT: And the answer to my post calling him out for redefining safety is deliciously ridiculous:

I almost get a sense of sarcasm from his post. As if he's really just playing the troll. Who knows.
"Danger words" WTF

That is straight from the fascists play book, we should never ban words!!!