Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015

Reactions: Zarathustra

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
How does your decision meld/mix with the current debate about infrastructure funding for BCH?:

Building a global-scale, permissionless, censorship-resistant, p2p cash is a massive undertaking and will require a lot of resources. Over the past 2.5 years, the community has shown very little interest in funding development compared to BCH’s competitors, and the development that has happened has been consistently inefficient and filled with unnecessary drama. As a result, the competitors are improving in leaps and bounds while the BCH community continues to stall itself with infighting. It’s not just a matter of funding, it’s about a culture that has no unified focus or desire for making the large, necessary, improvements happen. The BCH community rewards attention-seeking and theatrics more than achieving the goals of the system and working in such a culture is an unrewarding and constant uphill battle.

79b79aa8

Sep 22, 2015
more altcoin mentality.

protocol development phase is over - the time for experiments is up, whatever else gün sirer thinks (along with mistrusting POW and believing mining to be a waste of energy). the BSV testnet is clearing 1.9 GB blocks, and chugging along at 300 tps, not under stress.

funding schemes not driven by participants' immediate economic incentives are contrary to bitcoin's fundamental design premise and are bound to fail. what does work, as everywhere in the economy, are businesses paying for improved systems in order to gain competitive advantage. perhaps large BCH miners think that they are doing the latter, not the former, by baking in ABC's cockamamie solution into the protocol. if so, they've lived too long under the CCP.

the invisible hand drives bitcoin forward or nothing does.

79b79aa8

Sep 22, 2015
This is not the block size debate where you guys can just circle jerk, appeal to each other's authority, and feel good about yourselves.
mmm...salty...
here's the thing: what we sussed out over the years -- an unlimited bitcoin -- came to pass, flawlessly. that is something to feel good about.

meanwhile some find themselves tinkering, not even with operational upgrades, but with how to raise money to fund future tinkering. no end goal in sight.

the dice are cast. we will know for sure whether we were right or wrong.

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
yay!

that means lower mortgage rates for the little guy, right? no way, BCH!:

• Haha
Reactions: bitsko and Norway

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
bond prices move inversely to their yields (interest rates). the Fed usually buys, with the dollars it prints, at the short end (duration) of the curve to influence rates (push them down). it hopes by doing this it can push rates down all across the curve including the long end (longer duration) where alot of mortgages are pegged off (10 yr UST). clearly, the Fed is buying the shit out of the short end and even driving the 3mo into negative territory (IOW, driving their prices up from the artificial demand). totally unprecedented stuff as negative rates like these could lead to savers having to "pay" to keep their savings in the bank. it's also shitty b/c the banks are the one's who refuse to pass on the lower rates that the Fed wishes to create on to mortgage borrowers since they can take the free 0% money they get from the Fed and instead invest in more speculative markets, like stocks (esp buybacks).

the whole bond dynamic (driven by Fed policy of bailouts) pits savers against borrowers. IOW, the prudent vs the reckless.

Last edited:
Reactions: Norway and 79b79aa8

Richy_T

Dec 27, 2015
sure, they will move to liquidate. the question is if there will be another great btc run, as @rocks expects -- and i say there won't be.
Consider the model for a run up though. USD->Exchange, Exchange USD->Exchange BTC.

Unless people start actually trying to transact BTC, it's quite possible that they won't encounter the downside of full blocks and high transaction fees. Well, not yet, at least.

We may be in the situation where even a sucky BTC is a less-bad option than very sucky fiat.

79b79aa8

Sep 22, 2015
@Christoph Bergmann, thanks for the article, you have boiled several arguments down to their minimum expression. whoever does not agree likely never will.

but here is a question: why can't i find a BSV wallet that lets users perform "true" SPV transactions (directly between end users without first hitting the blockchain?) do you know of a wallet team working on this? @Norway, does KaChing allow for it?

also, is that @torusJKL's plugin? it works beautifully, of course, but IMHO it looks a little clunky.

thank you for introducing me to the thermomix. maybe one day. 👨‍🍳
(*edit: i just checked the price, nevermind)

We may be in the situation where even a sucky BTC is a less-bad option than very sucky fiat.
perhaps i am mistaken, but i don't think many individuals worldwide would freeze their own funds in a time of crisis, and leave them at the mercy of volatility. and institutional capital is not allowed to use the vehicle.

Last edited:

79b79aa8

Sep 22, 2015
I've been a bit out of the loop but has core abandoned Lighting now? It looks that there has been no uptick in usage in over a year.
"The Lightning Network...is a very complex construct of payment channels, multisig transactions, hash contracts and timelocks, which bangs Bitcoin finally out of the space of the explainable... Users need to fund channels, connect with other nodes, find routes through the network and manage the liquidity of their channels. The user experience is mostly, even for small amounts, cruel."

This comes from Christoph, who in his professionalism actually used LN, and at some point even found positive things to say about the experience.

Lightning labs is now building software to use on top of LN to make it work, so that LN can be used on top of BTC to make it work -- that's epicycles of fun, hardly conducive to usage upticks. And in any event, LN transactions are conceived for payments. That does not begin to cover the use cases for bitcoin.

rocks

Sep 24, 2015
"The Lightning Network...is a very complex construct of payment channels, multisig transactions, hash contracts and timelocks, which bangs Bitcoin finally out of the space of the explainable... Users need to fund channels, connect with other nodes, find routes through the network and manage the liquidity of their channels. The user experience is mostly, even for small amounts, cruel."

This comes from Christoph, who in his professionalism actually used LN, and at some point even found positive things to say about the experience.

Lightning labs is now building software to use on top of LN to make it work, so that LN can be used on top of BTC to make it work -- that's epicycles of fun, hardly conducive to usage upticks. And in any event, LN transactions are conceived for payments. That does not begin to cover the use cases for bitcoin.
Does anyone in Bitcoin world even talk about it anymore? There was so much hype in /r/bitcoin and other forums, or has everyone given up on that and BTC is just generally considered as a speculative asset with most people trading on exchanges?

Meanwhile BSV continues to move along and BCH seems to have gone exactly where we thought it would.

Richy_T

Dec 27, 2015
perhaps i am mistaken, but i don't think many individuals worldwide would freeze their own funds in a time of crisis, and leave them at the mercy of volatility. and institutional capital is not allowed to use the vehicle.
Governments of the world are just about to turn the printing presses up to 11.

Other factors might include the upcoming halvening and if this pandemic starts to look a lot better than has been assumed (which there is some evidence for. It won't stop the presses, of course). Also bear in mind that BTC on an exchange are not "locked up" as such. If you don't own the keys, you don't own the coins but if you're just speculating, which is BTC's raison d'etre these days, there's a good chance you don't care about that.

I'm not asserting anything though. I have no idea. Just playing with the parameters.

Reactions: AdrianX and cbeast
I've been a bit out of the loop but has core abandoned Lighting now? It looks that there has been no uptick in usage in over a year.
If you use a lightning wallet without a full lightning node, your channels will not be shown in this statistics. The capacity in the chart is the capacity of routing channels.

So it is true that the real amount of bitcoins in lightning could be much higher. But it's also true that the amount of liquidity people are willing to provide for ln is stagnating for more than a year.

Reactions: Norway and 79b79aa8

79b79aa8

Sep 22, 2015
why can't i find a BSV wallet that lets users perform "true" SPV transactions (directly between end users without first hitting the blockchain?) do you know of a wallet team working on this?

Reactions: Norway