Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.

Zarathustra

Aug 28, 2015
Hides on twitter. (Re-) tweets pseudolibertarian right wing collectivism. Believes in a 'savings economy' that replaces credit. As if such an economy ever existed.

Reactions: Norway

lunar

Aug 28, 2015
Interesting mining dynamic that was mentioned at the conference yesterday by @shadders and @CSW

I've not heard this discussed anywhere before?

The idea that once we start to transition into a fee based economy, (fees are a significant % of total reward) we'll see the emergence of intermittent hashers.

When there is a decent flow of Tx/s building up in the mempool, the total reward for block discovery increases until each new block is found, then it resets.

For the sake of this example, lets assume mining has adjusted so it's at marginal profitability, for a 10 minute average block discovery. When been longer than 10 mins since the last block has been mined (i.e sufficient fee build up) This additional fee part of the reward will attract intermittent miners. ASICs that were previously not economical, will briefly become profitable again.

in other words, we could see a whole economy of miners who only switch their machines on when it's been longer than 10 mins since the last block has been found.

If you take this scenario further, albeit in a much more scaled system than we have now. These intermitted hashers may even start to make a difference. Imagine if it's been 20 mins since the last block was found and the chain has attracted 25% more hash than normal?

Ohhh, now blocks will now found faster than average. Meaning there will be an additional stabilising force that acts to keep block discovery at the targeted 10 mins.

With scale comes stability.

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
Our work shows that in a transaction-fee regime, predicting behavior will be fiendishly complex.

https://freedom-to-tinker.com/2016/10/21/bitcoin-is-unstable-without-the-block-reward/

[doublepost=1559319049][/doublepost]his example didn't make much sense to me given how hard it is for miners to be switched on and off esp in such a small time period. anyone who's ever run a mining operation knows this. this difficulty would be even much more likely in a small world network where the network is being secured by a relatively small number of BIG mining datacenters. the analysis also completely ignores the price of BSV which can be highly volatile as you know. if prices will be much higher in that far future, which i think they will, even a small number of tx's earlier on in the 10m block interval might still be worth ALOT if miners are still paying their electrical bills in USD.

Last edited:
Reactions: Norway and bsdtar

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
"i don't have time, i don't have time. i have other interests. really".

Reactions: Norway

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
you pay me handsomely; by trolling this thread heavily everyday all day.

Richy_T

Dec 27, 2015
@Richy_T couldn't find it, do you have a link?
Sadly not (I write a lot of crap and don't keep an index). There's also a chance it was on reddit in response to nullc's inanity. It pretty much was the same conclusion though. When miners are free to assign their hashrate in multiple ways, when the block reward is small, if blocksize is unlimited, a low number of transactions will mean less hash and as the number of mineable transactions increases, more hash will be assigned pushing the block emission rates closer to the ideal 10 minutes than the current random emission with only an average of 10 minutes.

There may even have been a bit about users might increase their transaction fees in order to attract more hash if they were in a hurry (thus transaction fees being somewhat self regulating) but maybe not.

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
why wouldn't wallet fee estimators correspondingly decrease fees the deeper into the 10m block interval we get if miners try such a strategy?

Reactions: sgbett

Richy_T

Dec 27, 2015
If it made sense to do so, they surely would. Market forces at work. Presumably the default fee would be fairly low though. It all comes down to game theory.

Instead of bidding for space in a block, it becomes a group bid for hashrate.

[doublepost=1559451668][/doublepost]A lot of the problem is that (small block) people bring block-reward thinking to a transaction-fee dominated scenario.

Last edited:
Reactions: sgbett and Norway