Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
the plan is to get bitcoin to pass the legal gauntlet...

I reaffirm my statement that the percieved credibility of craig wright Bitcoin hinges on ones opinion of patents (BCH,BTC) and/or 'centralization'(BCH, BTC), and is seldom related to the actual subject matter on hand.
can i fix that for you?

Reactions: bitsko

Richy_T

Dec 27, 2015
CSW isn't claiming to want to "practice" law in the traditional sense afaict. to my mind that would involve wanting to service clients in legal matters. I'm sure he's using the term exactly in the way of the wiki definition I've provided. in fact, he's legally bound to do so; as an engineer with many patents wanting to have an in depth understanding of obtaining, executing, and protecting those patents. do you disagree?
He's either a lawyer or not. And he's not.

If this were a one-off faux-pas, that would be one thing but it's just one more item in an established pattern of deception. To be honest, I don't even care because CSW's status has already been clear for a long time in my mind. It just amazes me that there is apparently no straw that will ever break this camel's back.

Obsession? Hardly. I saw the discussion in this thread and decided to comment. Why mischaracterize my comments like that? You're better than that. Don't let Craig rub off on you.

Last edited:
Reactions: majamalu

Richy_T

Dec 27, 2015
Exactly the point I was trying to make, @Richy_T , thanks for bringing it home with that great explainer page.

I'm also an "engineer" in the UK, and you can be too (if you aren't already).

So if someone claims to be an engineer in the UK, it carries no special significance.
The titles that do are the professional engineering titles:
See, the interesting thing to me is that whilst you might not expect a layman to know this, you would think that someone who was taking a degree related to the subject to be aware of the correct terminology and how and where to use it.

Reactions: freetrader

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
>If this were a one-off faux-pas, that would be one thing but it's just one more item in an established pattern of deception. To be honest, I don't even care because CSW's status has already been clear for a long time in my mind. It just amazes me that there is apparently no straw that will ever break this camel's back.

that's fine. i have no problem with your position. surely it won't change.

>Why mischaracterize my comments like that? You're better than that. Don't let Craig rub off on you.

i went back and reread my response to you. what did i say wrong? you used the word practice and i explained my defn of that word. where's the problem?

Reactions: Norway

rocks

Sep 24, 2015
A significant piece of my soul died last month when I started to catch up and found that out after years of intelligent discussion on what Bitcoin is (both here and on many other forums) the fork to save Bitcoin from the bearded wizard and the rest of core put someone who thinks rolling 10-block confirmation checkpoints is a good idea in control of the protocol. Words fail me.

I am not too surprised though, I tried contributing to ABC a year ago and found Amaury and the ABC process to be just as insular as core. First the process for new developers to join and submit changes was broken and it took them two months to work it out. I then submitted a simple change that added the ability to backup and restore a wallet's HD Master Seed to the ABC client, which enables the ability to fully recover a wallet from just a saved seed. It was a simple change that only effected the encrypt wallet part of the code when first setting up a wallet and then isn't touched, but Amaury basically just said no and that was it. I signed off after that.
https://github.com/Bitcoin-ABC/bitcoin-abc/compare/master...satoshisbitcoin:hdrestore

BU should have hard forked in 2015 or 2016, we would have people such as theZerg and PeterR influencing the roadmap, not this ABC monstrosity. As far as I am concerned the BCH branch is dead and not going anywhere.

CSW is just as bad. He actually argued last week that control of a private key does not give someone possession of a bitcoin. His style, self aggrandizing and patent trolling are wrong, put people off, and frankly is an issue for the BSV branch.

Regarding the debate on if CSW is Satoshi, he does not feel to me to be Satoshi, maybe a Satoshi (if Satoshi was a team) but not the Satoshi. CSW's communication style and other aspects are too different in my opinion. CSW tries to inflate his worth, Satoshi did not and seemed more humble. Most importantly CSW does not invent or create as far as I can tell. He mostly takes other people's work and discusses that. His knowledge seems wide but shallow. Satoshi on the other hand invented in a manner that I have not seen from CSW.

I was pretty despondent on the Bitcoin project a month ago when first catching up for these reasons. All 3 branches are in control by fools and shysters, and the original Bitcoin community that promoted the project in 2012-15 in bitcoin talk, reddit and this thread frankly had lost.

However, over the past couple of weeks I have come around to BSV both as the true Bitcoin and as having a real chance to be the project we always wanted.

The pace and scope of community development on BSV is really amazing, I started to follow bsvdevs and _unwritter and there is a constant stream of activity. Sure most of it is silly experimentation, but it is easy to see where it is going and the scope of possibilities. This is the activity that should have taken place in 2012/13 if core did not get in the way.

1) The ability to store and run applications off of the chain is unbelievable. Napster and Silkroad were able to be shutdown because they had to exist as separate tools. Napster 2.0 and Silkroad 2.0 will be run off of the blockchain on a completely censorship resistant platform. That is where stuff like this is heading.
https://bico.media/ffe8f32c9003a50a82a7d1a68a4ca40cbc0429718e483c8dc79fbd6ddc8a4089.html

2) There are paths for BSV to be able to store essentially infinite data, people are knocking BSV for just being an unscalable file store, but that is not seeing the big picture. The thing to remember is OP_RETURN data does not need to be stored by a full client. Full clients can prune historical OP_RETURN data and still validate a chain of transactions with the header, merkle tree, and transaction data, while ignoring and not serving up OP_RETURN data. Applications instead can store data of interest to them and prove its validity similar to how SPV works today. For example a network of computers for application A would store and serve up application A OP_RETURN data, application B servers for application B OP_RETURN data, and so on. In this manner BSV could "store" exabytes of data on the blockchain, but full clients could prune it down to easily manageable terabytes and offload application storage to other P2P networks.

3) It does not matter that CSW is or is not a fraud, the same way it did not matter if Satoshi was a serial killer. Bitcoin is the code, not the person. CSW also is an asset. I do agree with his vision plus he is independently wealthy which means he can't be influenced or controlled and also has the resources to invest in BSV's vision, and I agree with his vision regardless who he is as a person.

You put this together and BSV has tremendous potential.

Chains such as ETH require all storage and computation to happen on full nodes. BSV however allows storage and computation to happen independently of full nodes and creates a better balance. This will allow it to scale further, and not just in block size. Economic incentives will determine that balance, but it will form in a manner not possible on chains such as ETH.

It is early days and BSV is considered a joke by most people (because of CSW), but look at this chart of usage. BSV is the only one trending up. All other chains are stagnant. Part of me wants to go all in on BSV. Today we can trade 1 dead end BTC for almost 60 BSV, if you consider BSV to be Bitcoin you can buy 1,000 bitcoins for only $60K. When was the last time we could do that?
https://bitinfocharts.com/comparison/size-btc-bch-bsv.html#log&6m

From catching up on the last dozen or so pages it sounds sentiment was against CSW's hard fork but now is trending in favor of BSV, which was similar to my path as well. @cypherdoc last year we were discussing if payments was enough or if more functionality is required to be successful and generate usage, you were in favor of payments only and I in functionality. I'm curious if you are favoring BSV today because of the development activity on it, or if it's just due to how badly Amaury is screwing up BCH.

Hope everyone is doing well. Glad to see the thread is still going. Sorry to see that BU seems to have stalled.

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
>The thing to remember is OP_RETURN data does not need to be stored by a full client.

there you go, dude.

>It does not matter that CSW is or is not a fraud

ditto.

>https://bitinfocharts.com/comparison/size-btc-bch-bsv.html#log&6m

hey, i just posted that!

> @cypherdoc last year we were discussing if payments was enough or if more functionality is required to be successful and generate usage, you were in favor of payments only and I in functionality. I'm curious if you are favoring BSV today because of the development activity on it, or if it's just due to how badly Amaury is screwing up BCH.

the dev activity is a huge plus and Amaury's screwups are intolerable. i used to not favor excessive data input via OP_RETURN and definitely not thru GROUP, but i've warmed up to it, esp since it can get pruned. as @Peter R has said, there's just too much demand for it. well ok then, i compromise.

welcome back! we missed you.
[doublepost=1552161634,1552160969][/doublepost]yet another admission, with bragging, from an ABC fanatic:

In fact with many peeps behind the scenes we worked towards making sure there would absolutely be a BSV fork cause we wanted all you peeps out of the BCH community cause you are such disruptors. There is even a couple of pro BSV sites I run. They were set up with the intention of making sure there would be a split and fork.

Reactions: Norway and bitsko

Richy_T

Dec 27, 2015
surely it won't change.
It would change in an instant if he did a bit of cryptography with the appropriate keys. Though I have to say that my opinion of Satoshi whould be somewhat downgraded at that juncture.
[doublepost=1552163314][/doublepost]
>Why mischaracterize my comments like that? You're better than that. Don't let Craig rub off on you.

i went back and reread my response to you. what did i say wrong? you used the word practice and i explained my defn of that word. where's the problem?
You characterized my post as an obsession which was apparent in the previous couple of sentences you trimmed. I don't really care much about CSW other than keeping him away from the levers of power in anything I'm interested in. Heck, I'm finding it hard to stay interested in crypto-currencies at all at the moment (and that's nothing to do with CSW).

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
I totally agree and wish he'd sign publicly with the genesis block privkey. what's stopping him is probably the Kleiman suit, the ATO audit (although I heard that's over?) and perhaps the Tulip Trust 2020. having said this, I put it at ~70%+ probability that he's the real Satoshi.

I also don't expect the real Satoshi to have gone to Princeton and be presenting at top level academic conferences.

Reactions: KoKansei and Norway

Richy_T

Dec 27, 2015
A significant piece of my soul died last month
Good to see you back anyway. I feel much the same way (apart from the bit at the end about BSV. Though mostly because I'm playing "wait and see"). Though it's been a bit longer. I felt like Amaury performed a coup taking control of the development of ABC but the appropriate parties here disagree with me so I bow to their superior knowledge of the situation.

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
@Richy_T

>You characterized my post as an obsession which was apparent in the previous couple of sentences you trimmed. I don't really care much about CSW other than keeping him away from the levers of power in anything I'm interested in. Heck, I'm finding it hard to stay interested in crypto-currencies at all at the moment (and that's nothing to do with CSW).

i did? this is my post your referring to? where is the obsessive part?:

>CSW isn't claiming to want to "practice" law in the traditional sense afaict. to my mind that would involve wanting to service clients in legal matters. I'm sure he's using the term exactly in the way of the wiki definition I've provided. in fact, he's legally bound to do so; as an engineer with many patents wanting to have an in depth understanding of obtaining, executing, and protecting those patents. do you disagree?

He's either a lawyer or not. And he's not.

If this were a one-off faux-pas, that would be one thing but it's just one more item in an established pattern of deception. To be honest, I don't even care because CSW's status has already been clear for a long time in my mind. It just amazes me that there is apparently no straw that will ever break this camel's back.

Obsession? Hardly. I saw the discussion in this thread and decided to comment. Why mischaracterize my comments like that? You're better than that. Don't let Craig rub off on you.
The thing is very simple.

I don't care about CSW. I care about Bitcoin. And with their stupid unneccesary hard fork Bitcoin ABC fucked up Bitcoin. It was so obvious. But so many people of you followed them like lemmings just because they turned on the noise against CSW.

Richy_T

Dec 27, 2015
On this very page.

I'd be a wreck (but rich) , just like @freetrader, obsessing over trivialities like this.
[doublepost=1552164361][/doublepost]
I don't care about CSW. I care about Bitcoin.
Let's try that a little differently.

I don't care about Core. I care about Bitcoin.
How about this?

I don't care about Amaury. I care about Bitcoin Cash.
Do you begin to see the issue?

Well, no.

I care about Bitcoin, and BSV is the only coin which just takes Bitcoin and scales it instead of making it a playground of narcistic developers.

I don't care about Core or Amaury. I care about WHAT they did to Bitcoin. When CSW does something similarly stupid, I will feel the same.

Like rocks said: All three Bitcoins have fallen in the hands of questionable personalities. So I look at Bitcoin, not the persons.

Richy_T

Dec 27, 2015
Well, all we have to do is wait and see. Which is what I'm doing anyway.

Though at this stage, I'm beginning to think that even if (the incredibly narcissistic) CSW wasn't on the scene, BSV (which model I would favor otherwise) would still be prone to exactly the same issues as the others. Possibly Satoshi didn't actually solve anything but just moved the problems elsewhere.

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
On this very page.
oh that. well, that was clearly directed at @freetrader. he has been obsessing about this. but if you're going to keep defining the word "lawyer" so tightly, I guess you'll have a point. because if I had a LLM, I might be tempted to call myself a lawyer too. but you have to understand the personality we're dealing with. this guy has multiple degrees, multiple certs, multiple papers, etc, that I'm not surprised he'd call himself a lawyer, because he's that amongst many other things. as Satoshi was when putting Bitcoin together from multiple disciplines. and this was twitter where he's bombarded by trolls. but again, it doesn't matter. don't trust any devs at this point and just invest in the code before your face.

Reactions: sgbett and Norway

freetrader

Staff member
Dec 16, 2015
Welcome back @rocks. Just out of curiosity, if you had been lead developer of one of the leading BCH protocol implementations, and had the responsibility of making a suggestion for how to weather the 51% attack that was threatened and - from signs observed during the November fork - executed, ...

... what defense would you have proposed - as a developer?

Just so you know where I stand - I don't think the rolling checkpoints should be a permanent feature, but they've been constructed as a configuration item so it's up to exchanges and large mining pools (and other users) to "emergently" decide on what setting to use.

The "10 blocks" is a default which I'm not even sure is in active use right now. It's hard to be sure. But my preference would be for large BCH using companies to declare that they are no longer using this feature once they deem there to be no active threat against the coin. Again, it's not something I have particular insight into from the mining pool front right now.

However, if you read the presence of these rolling checkpoints to be a permanent and somehow ABC-decided feature of BCH, I think you've not caught up sufficiently to what went on.

Last edited:

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
here's my suggestion if i were a developer:

@freetrader: "but, but how do we defend ourselves against CSW threats! meanie! he's he's gonna take over my coin! waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa..."

Amaury: "go buy more hash".

Last edited:
Reactions: KoKansei and Norway

freetrader

Staff member
Dec 16, 2015
Well, I suggest anyone who wants to understand what went on goes back to at least 3 months before the split (i.e. to August 2018 or earlier) in the public discourse (and this thread) and read carefully what went on.

For example, CSW threatened to double-spend exchanges, and to shut down trade on the chain (which could be done via mining empty blocks etc.)

The reality is more that big businesses said "fuck that" and diverted sufficient BTC hash to completely ruin CSW's plan, while at the same time enacting rock-solid protection against the dishonest miners via checkpoints.

The ones crying foul were the attackers, who should be receiving your advice of "go buy more hash".
BCH had and has plenty hash, they proved exactly that during the fork.

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
>The ones crying foul were the attackers, who should be receiving your advice of "go buy more hash".

except that you subverted the "buy more hash" PoW strategy for BSV, and Bitcoin as a concept, with 10 block rolling checkpoints.
[doublepost=1552167330][/doublepost]
BCH had and has plenty hash, they proved exactly that during the fork.
no they did not. if they did, they wouldn't have needed the help of exchanges nor of implementing checkpoints.

Last edited:

Members online